• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

German Infantry Mortar Platoon - 1944

FINALLY!!!...We'll I've been meaning to get on this for quite some time now and today was, for me, German Mortar Platoon Day. Given it's Winter down here in Oz, it's been difficult to find a day as normally when I'm working, the sun is out and when I've got a day to spend on the hobby - it's crap.

So, here it is. A 1944 composition German Heer mortar platoon. The section leads give the signal to the platoon commander indicating that their mortars are good to go for rounds down range.

In total - 36 figures, 2 infantry carts, 50 mortar containers, rounds too numerous to count and loads of accessories. Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• platoon oblique view - Copy.JPG
    platoon oblique view - Copy.JPG
    248.1 KB · Views: 99
  • the morning hate - Copy.JPG
    the morning hate - Copy.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 101
  • We'll keepém coming - Copy.JPG
    We'll keepém coming - Copy.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 112
  • number four pit ready - Copy.JPG
    number four pit ready - Copy.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 95
  • Platoon in action - Copy.JPG
    Platoon in action - Copy.JPG
    244.9 KB · Views: 88
And several more...enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• Command pit and infantry carts - Copy.JPG
    Command pit and infantry carts - Copy.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 96
  • crate discards - Copy.JPG
    crate discards - Copy.JPG
    237.9 KB · Views: 93
  • Fetch and carry - Copy.JPG
    Fetch and carry - Copy.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 87
  • platoon oblique view.JPG
    platoon oblique view.JPG
    226 KB · Views: 82
  • ready the bombs - Copy.JPG
    ready the bombs - Copy.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 94
And...and...several more, Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• No Comms No Bombs - Copy.JPG
    No Comms No Bombs - Copy.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 95
  • watching the flanks - Copy.JPG
    watching the flanks - Copy.JPG
    242.4 KB · Views: 87
  • PLatoon in action3 - Copy.JPG
    PLatoon in action3 - Copy.JPG
    238 KB · Views: 80
  • Number three pit ready - Copy.JPG
    Number three pit ready - Copy.JPG
    238.5 KB · Views: 88
  • Number One pit ready - Copy.JPG
    Number One pit ready - Copy.JPG
    244.6 KB · Views: 101
Great set up! Lots of good stuff there. Must have taken forever to get all those boxes & rounds together.

Thanks muchly for the kind comments all. Yes, it did take a couple of years of finding and putting away for that rainy day when it came to the ammo crates/rounds. I've recently bought four DID 12cm German mortars so I'll be doing a similar scene sometime in the future.

The narrative for the scene is that the Leutnant has given a change in co-ordinates to the crews - after having fired a few rounds (as denoted by the discarded crates thrown out of the pits) - and is awaiting all pits to give the nod that they've adjusted their tubes accordingly.

Meanwhile, his signallers maintain the 'vital link' (one a link to the regimental fires net via the Torn-D transceiver and the other a field telephone link to battalion HQ).

Whilst the late-war composition of the mortar platoon was larger on paper, manpower shortages meant that, more often than not, the five man crew would operate at three to four as mortarmen - as seen here - were often relegated to both protection and ammo resup tasks for the platoon as the mortar itself could be operated with a competent three-man crew. Section commanders (in-charge of two mortars) can be seen using range marking stakes to align their mortars.

Infantry carts are used to carry the ammo forward from the supply trucks which are located further back (not part of the diorama unfortunately). Digging tools can also be seen between the carts.

Here's several more pics. Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• No4 pit view - Copy (2).JPG
    No4 pit view - Copy (2).JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 97
  • command pit.JPG - Copy.jpg
    command pit.JPG - Copy.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 86
  • right flank - Copy.JPG
    right flank - Copy.JPG
    256.4 KB · Views: 87
  • the man with the plan.JPG - Copy.jpg
    the man with the plan.JPG - Copy.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 91
  • zero hour.JPG
    zero hour.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 97
Just love the set up! Man that would be an astounding amount of tedius work to get all that together figures, equipment and incidentals! Then the other side is just getting all the right uniform, and equipment in one place! Very nice work!

Cya
Hankster

Found several more...from other angles. Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• platoon oberfeldwebel.JPG
    platoon oberfeldwebel.JPG
    290.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Show mortars ready - Copy.JPG
    Show mortars ready - Copy.JPG
    269.3 KB · Views: 68
  • left flank - Copy.JPG
    left flank - Copy.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 61
  • pits in action - Copy.JPG
    pits in action - Copy.JPG
    240.6 KB · Views: 66
  • hustle and bustle of a mortar platoon.JPG
    hustle and bustle of a mortar platoon.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 67
And a few more to finish off the series. Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• aerial view.JPG
    aerial view.JPG
    251 KB · Views: 89
  • 210.JPG
    210.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 220.JPG
    220.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 71
  • 228.JPG
    228.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 82
Thankyou most kindly for the great comments all, really appreciated. For my next trick pertaining to a similar theme - either a 12cm mortar platoon (which will be a bit trickier) or a Nebelwerfer platoon. At the moment, my hobby has kind of stalled with regards to the Flak 38 Vierling scene, the Ruskie Aerosan plan and the Aussies in the later stages of New Guinea (1942) - all three on the ORBAT for this year's annual scale model show - because of unexpected family problems on my wife's side and mainly the fact that, which I just learned recently, I won't be in-country during the period of the model show. Whilst delayed, the show must go on and it just allows me more time to prep for next year's model show where I'll probably look at also putting in a revamped version of my first big diorama - 2013's 'High tide of the Afrika Korps'....which means it'll be bigger. The mortar platoon was packed-away today (amongst whatever space I still have left in the garage) having achieved its purpose. Cheers all, Steve

Back