• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

German Torn Radios

fusilier1944

Company Commander
Being bored while stuck inside under lock down, I decided to do some hobby related stuff. I've focused on other hobbies for many years and missed out on some releases from the good old days. Never gave up on 1/6 though.

First is a Torn Fu D2 built almost entirely from styrene. Some details are accentuated for visibility and strength. Colored handles and footman's loops are coated paperclip parts. Screws are real mini screws glued in place. Some aluminum rivets as knobs. Anoden Batterie is printed on card-stock. Shown unpainted for now. Getting primed and painted next. Dials are printed and glued to plastic disks. They'll be turn-able. I will use mylar sheet for the windows. Nothing on hand to do for fish eye lenses so making due.

Next is the Torn E.b. This one grew a bit when adding the outer frame as the thicknesses added up. It's most apparent when next to the Torn Fu but not bad enough to discard. Same deal, made with styrene and paper clips and such.

I ordered some parts to build a radio team for the Torn Fu d2. Haven't decided how I'm going to do the headphones and microphone. Maybe scratch those too, or maybe cannibalize some panzer ones from the parts bin.

Excellent work. I have two of the Dragon radios. Where did you get the pattern for the battery boxes?

Fantastic work on the radios! Really well done!

Looking forward to seeing them completed!

Rob et al. - Here's a link to Gary's (johkaz here on SAG) Torn.Fu.d2 radio page. It might be quite useful to everyone involved. Also, he has the battery artwork on that page as well.

http://www.johkaz.co.uk/torn.html

Hope that helps!

Fred

Thanks folks. The battery box is my own work. No offense, but the ones on johkaz page are kinda dated. The blue ones in particular are post war as has been gone over (back in the day). Anyone who wants a printable pdf of mine just drop me a PM with an email address. They have cut/score lines so they’re pretty straight forward. I use thin double sided tape to assemble mine.

Decided against panzer headphones. Made my own doppelfernhörer. Capsules are made of styrene tube & plastic card. Headband is aluminum from Home Depot. Soft enough and thin enough to cut with scissors. Styrene pin to mount them. Elastic cord knotted & pulled through the ear hole.

Kind of hard to photograph even with my iPotato.

Great scratch-build, love the small details and looking forward to seeing the finished product...thanks for sharing, Steve

Thanks!

Pretty much complete. There’s some touch ups to do and maybe another clear coat (which I’m out of, not sure if I’ll order it or risk a visit to the hardware store).

Torn Fu d2:
Painted up in RAL 7021 Panzergrau. Leather straps and aluminum buckles/clips. Door markings were done by hand with a fine marker. Some touch ups still needed. Dials and gauges in place. Just realized I still have to mark “E” & “S” on the respective sides of the face. And drill the holes for the microphone & headphones. Mylar sheet affixed with double sided tape for the dials.

Displayed with the battery case plugged in, sitting on the “Zeltbahn alte arte für technische” with the Nachtrichtentaschen full of funksprech forms like the one shown loose. Interesting note, in WWII the Germans gave leftover WWI zelts out to the radio troops to use as ground cloths when using the radios. When they ran out, they made new splinter ones in the old style. So wartime German made square zelts do exist.

Torn E.b.
Also painter Panzergrau. Dials & gauge in place. Same treatment as the others. Leather straps and aluminum clips/buckles. This one the 3 unpainted screws actually hold the face in. But there’s so much paint it would stay in place anyway. I’m still deciding if I am going to paint the outside of the cases dunkelgelb.

Painting hasn’t gone super well in my garage. Dusty & cold. The d2 radio face had to be stripped clean & repainted because of paint issues. Such is life.

Nice work on the radio and headset. Loved the information on the WWI zeltbahnen.

Sorry the link to Gary's radio build wasn't of use. Was just trying to help.

Fred

Oh it was helpful and I do appreciate it! Spending as much time staring at this stuff sometimes I focus on the one thing when 99% is great info.

Had a chance to take my Funker team out this morning. I was at a site we use for re-enactments. As I was getting these guys set up the wind picked up blowing them over and throwing up dust. Right when I got them situated a truck pulled into view. So I was limited in the angles I could use.

I still need to photograph the figures alone in a controlled environment. But it was fun to take a few minutes and photograph them in a natural setting.

Back