• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

GJ peaked cap edelweiss badge ?s

RogueJK

Tanker
Patrick (or anyone else in the know) -

I'd like to pick your brain on the topic of the Gebirgsjäger officer edelweiss cap badge for a minute...

It seems that Gebirgsjäger officers were authorized to wear a metal badge of a stemless edelweiss flower between the eagle and cockade on their schirmmützen. But the couple of references I was able to find in my books are referring to the pre-war and early war periods. How prevalent was this throughout the war? Was a woven version worn on crushers as well? Was the metal badge identical to the typical GJ cap badge worn on the side of the Bergmütze, only without a stem, or was the size, shape, or type of metal different? Were SS GJ officers authorized to wear this badge on their peaked caps as well?

And since the Bergmütze was so popular with all the ranks, the officers tended to wear it in favor of the peaked cap, making pictures of GJ officers with their peaked caps relatively rare. I'd love to see some photos from your collection showing the edelweiss badge in use on the officer's peaked cap.

Thanks for your help!

Grüß Di' RogueJK,

The Edelweiss Badges (sleeve & caps) were introduced for all soldiers and officials of the Mountain Troops on 2 May 1939.

bergschirmedels.jpg

The stemless Edelweiss (about 3 cm diameter) could be worn by all ranks on the Schirmmütze. The Enlisted & NCO Schirmmütze had a leather chinstrap...officer's had silver braid chinstraps. The Schirmmütze were worn throughout the war, but mainly as walking out dress at home...not worn in combat areas (though I have seen a few photos of officers with them). W-ss GJ were not authorized to wear the Schirmmütze Edelweiss.

Sometimes the stemless Edelweiss was not worn:

schirmnoedel04mo4.jpg

schirmnoedel03ku9.jpg

Stemless Edelweiss being worn:

portraits65yb8.jpg

And two Schirmmütze in my collection:

shelfm01ig8.jpg

Here's an example of a woven version at the Gebirgsjäger Museum in Sonthofen, Germany:

gjmuseumschirmfj8.jpg

Patrick,
Just to make sure I understood you correctly.
Waffen SS-GJ's could NOT wear the stemless Edelweiss on peaked caps,is that right?
I want to make sure before I send in my order for some.
GJ

Patrick,
I forgot to ask.
Does the Gebirgsjäger Museum in Sonthofen, Germany have a website that you know of?
I would love to see it.
GJ

GJ....yes, the W-ss did not wear the stemless Edelweiss on their Schirmmützen.

And unfortunately, the Gebirgstruppe Museum in Sonthofen does not have a website...and no w-ss GJ stuff as I recall.

Thank you Heeresbergführer, I wonder why that was? Hmmmm.
In this day and age I would have thought any museum would have a website.
I guess I might luck out and find someones vacation photos on line.
Thanks again,
GJ

Back