• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Joe Ekins tribute.

Tony Barton

Company Commander
The death of Joe Ekins was announced on February 1st.

About five years ago , I had the pleasure of talking to him on the phone on several occasions about his WW2 career, and recording his memories of the uniform and kit he wore while crewing a tank with the Northamptonshire Yeomanry.
He was a very modest , ordinary and unassuming man from Rushden, whom fate had pitched into a war he loathed .

He happened to be in the gunner’s seat of a Sherman Firefly one day in July 1944 , and became slightly famous for being the man who fired the shot that killed Michel Wittman and his crew.

There’s a short Wikipedia article about him here :~

Joe Ekins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My contact with him had been to ask his permission to make a figure of him, which was freely granted.
There was , for a while, a serious scheme to produce him as a commercial figure, a prospect that intrigued Joe no end. Alas, the whole project fell victim to economic reality, and it never happened.
Joe was disappointed , perhaps because he was looking forward to a bit of a fuss and a small fee, but took it all in good part.

Joe-three.jpg

But I made this prototype, which Joe approved. He made pertinent criticisms as it progressed, and it took two attempts before he was happy with the head.
He wears BD with the 33rd Tank Brigade diabolo flash over the RAC AoS strip. The 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry also wore these collar dogs, a highly unofficial practice.

Joe-closeup.jpg

He also told me some useful things about tank crew kit at the time, which have been handy in making some other figures.
He mentioned the use of the denim tanksuit in the hot weather , and the problems of wearing hobnailed boots while on the tank : steel on steel is a lethal recipe , and crewmen got round it by wearing their “ walking-out “
black shoes, or even plimsolls.

His own account can be heard here :~

Welcome to the Tank Museum - Home of the Tank - Veteran Podcasts

After the war he went back into Northamptonshire’s famous footwear industry , and worked as a manager of a shoe factory.

Tony, thank you for posting. A wonderful tribute to the man. It must have been a moving experience for you to have access to Mr. Ekins and his memories.

Great figure and great post. It is a somber reminder of the memories and men of that era we lose on a daily basis.

Jim

Back