• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Lieutenant Norman Dike?

USMCWayne

Machine Gunner
It's bugged me for years, and I've never been able to find a definitive answer.

Lieutentant Norman Dike was probably the least remarkable of Easy 506th's CO's. He was reportedly just punching his ticket as Easy's CO, but was replaced under fire by Winters, after an extended period of ineptness, indecision, and borderline cowardice.

Dike surfaces again, in Band of Brothers, at the ceremony awarding the 101st a Presidential Unit Citation for its performance at Bastogne. "Standing behind General Taylor was his senior aide, none other than Capt. Norman Dike".

Any idea what happened to Dike after WW II?

Did/does he attend 101st AB reunions?

How did he feel abut his portrayal in BOB?

Was he awarded any personal decorations for his WW II service?

Stephen Ambrose would probably have the answer but he's gone now. You could try to find out through any of the 101st vets themselves, the military records barracks at Carlisle, Penn, or see if the 101st has a division association. hope that any of this helps and good luck!!

I'd be more apt to believe that Mark Bando, who's hosting this section, would have the answer to the Dike questions more-so than Ambrose.

But Mark has been off for awhile, going through jump school and, since then, probably getting caught up on everything else.

I asked this question at Mark's great site and forum awhile back. At the time, there was a lot of other activity and the question moved to back pages pretty quickly and got overlooked.

I'm not one to normally "bump" a post, and let the question die a slow death.

But since Mark is hosting here, I thought I'd try again.

Dike apparently had some pretty heavy political connections, and his stint as CO of Easy was more a matter of getting "combat veteran" on his record than of anything else.

My uneducated guess is he finished the war unscathed, probably received a couple personal decorations for his "exemplary" service, and moved on to private life, aided by his war record.

I'd also guess is if he did ever attend any 101st reunions, he certainly doesn't now, especially after his BOB portrayal.

I have read everything I have, looking for Dike references (including Ambrose's book), and also have done more surfing than the question deserves.

Maybe there is no answer.

I was going to suggest Bando's TT forum, but if I were you I'd give it another shot. If anyone knows, it'd be the guys over there.

Back