• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Lieutenant, USMC, Inchon, Korea, Sep, 1950

chung814

Platoon Leader
Forgive me for posting Korean war's figure here, he is a marine and all the gears are WW2 things.

Only light weathering. Major change is the green color painting for the backpack. Also add the DID map case.

The major difference is the utilities tuckled into the trousers, which makes him another different looking leatherneck.

15.JPG

23.JPG

31.JPG

41.JPG

52.JPG

63.JPG

71.JPG

82.JPG

Great job, Chung!

Two suggestions: 1) add Lieutenant bars to the collar. They should go parallel to the leading edge and be one "inch" in from it. 2) take the utlility cover out from under the helmet.

An officer just coming off the ship and landing at Inchon probably would not have been in the field long enough to disregard personal apperance standards.

Sometimes you see combat pics of Marines looking like this, but that is most likely because they were not wearing there helmet and then someone shouted "incoming" and they just threw it on their head.

Semper Fi, Buddy!

TKS, LN.

How do you know the light weathering for me really stands for "just moment before landing"? You must have learned how to read my mind.

Two things I would like to ask, does marine in Korean war wear metal rank insignia like the army? And second, most of the 782 gear should be greenish instead of khaki in ww2, does the gears get "US" stencil on most of them?

Tks a lot for your suggestion.

Another good Marine bash. i'm starting to see what you mean when you said that's your main focus. Your probably never seen the Tonight Show much Wei, but guy's in the States will know what I'm talking about. Your pleated curtains in the background always makes me think your figures are being introduced by Johnny Carson. ;)

TKS a lot, MAA. Unfortunately I never got a chance to watch Tonight Show, but I can imagine what you are saying. I used to try white background but change to black now.

Nice work Chung, especially your work on the HS. You're great about sharing your efforts with us - thanks.

Chung - not sure on the U.S. stencil, but probably. Marine officers wore (still wear) metal rank insignia like the army, but the collar insignia is smaller. I'm guesing, but mayber 3/4 of the size. The captains bars look slightly different - more of a square than the army's "railroad tracks" look. If you need a picture, let me know.

BTW - Check out the new avatar - it's about time I got a WWII themed one.

TKS. The avatar is Looking great!! With the 2 Div mark, does that mean he is the one who faught on Tarawa?

dechande";p="27313 said:
real nice figure chung, you have an exceptional standard. are the hands from the dragon camera operator?

Thank you, Dechande. The hands are not from the camera operator. I believe it's about 2~3 years ago when soldat 1 just release with this pair of non-movable hands. this pair is not very good because I think it's a little bit too large. I prefer new DID bandable hands but am too lazy to change the hand base. I will change it later plus adding Leatherneck suggested officer rank.

And one small tip for dealing with too light-weighted mussett bag or map bag, simply use toilet paper wrap some coins and put them into the bag. It will create both the "weight" and "value" for your figure.

Great bash Chung, he looks FANTASTIC!! I have also been wanting to do a inchon marine using "Jacks" sniper rifle and now that the new USMC hbt's are out , it will be a little easier. Thanks for the inspiration!! Nice job again.

budro 65

budro 65

chung814";p="27314 said:
TKS. The avatar is Looking great!! With the 2 Div mark, does that mean he is the one who faught on Tarawa?

I was thinking of Saipan, but was thinking more of the 2d Marine Divisions entire Pacific campaign. The main reason that I chose that division is that cnce upon a time a younger and thinner version of me was in it :D

To Dougmo, TKS a lot for your appreciation, From Iceland Marine, thru the entire PTO, to the Inchon, and already-built-but-still-need-revision Chosin Reservoir, and 53' body-armored marine, are my major focus with lots of fun and challenge. Nontheless, marine with canvas gears(That means up to late 70') or leather gears(the great war) are also waiting on the line.

To Budro, TKS a lot for your appreciation as well. The new HBT really looks great. Plus your exceptional process on the surface, I believe your new figure will look exactly the same as real one. I haven't received ordered leggings yet, but i think it would be far better than the old ones, which I still use on this marine.

To LN, I see. Having a chance to be part of a glorious unit and share her history is a great thing. Wish to see more of your 2nd marines soon. I shall take my Frank Hough's Marine Book from the bookshelf to read more info about 2nd Marines.

Chung
Another great job you have done!
Im just dying to start in on some of my Iwo Marines, But I like to aquire all the Items needed before hand. Plus Im still doing a lot of refereance on the subject in Great part due to You and Leatherneck's input.

I apologize if I don't get around to posting replies all the time. It seems like I got so many topics posted that I can't remember half of what I posted and Where.

Your Comment on using the DiD hands? Are you talking about the Bendy DiD hands that come with most of their figures? I always thought they were a nice attempt, but the thumb looked out of place and they were just to narrow(flat) in the Palm area. Have you used them in the past and if so do you do anything special to them?

Fall Out!
BRO

Hello BRO, nice to hear from you again.

Yes, I am talking about the new DID bendy hands. Several reasons for using it, I mean, at least for me:

1. It has become DID's standard, so there will be a lot in the market, which will cost reasonably and won't out of stock.

2. The surface detail on the top and bottom are better than the DML bendy or non-bendy hands.

3. The joint of the bendy hands can fit to DML's hand base because the diameter of the axle is the same.

4. Though the finger is thin and the palm is flat, when adding cloth gloves the whole hand should looks better. If you choose bare hand configuration, for holding something or posing some gestures will hide some drawbacks.

DID hands are still not perfect, the joint is not realized and the thin fingers may look weird. But for me, they are acceptable, though I didn't buy 4 dozens for each one.

For the out-of-place thumb, since it gets the wire inside as well as the rest 4 fingers, you still can pose the thumb for looking more naturally, and by bending the cross section of the palm the palm will not look so flat. And bending the fingers with some curves will look natural, too. I sometimes squeeze the 4 fingers to make them closer to each other.

Though I never measure an adult european's palm but the scale is OK for me, DML's new relax-looking left hand looks bit too large.

You can check my Combat photographer and Iwo marine, especially the iwo marine gets a close shot of the bendy hands, should be good enough.

Combat Photographer:

http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/portal/viewtopic.php?t=3672

Iwo marine:
http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/portal/viewtopic.php?t=3593

However, you always can make a DML's hand looks real nice by using this board's experts skills like boot25, budro, tracker, ...etc. I haven't start weathering the figure's hand so DID hands is just my preference, I still have 50% of DML's hands.

chung814";p="27363 said:
To LN, I see. Having a chance to be part of a glorious unit and share her history is a great thing. Wish to see more of your 2nd marines soon. I shall take my Frank Hough's Marine Book from the bookshelf to read more info about 2nd Marines.

Chung - for clarity's sake, the 2d Marines refers to the 2d Marine Regiment. So, for example, 4th Marines means 4th Marine Regiment, 23rd Marines means 23rd Marine Regiment, and so on.

Marine divisions are always refered to as 2d Marine Division, 1st Marine Division, etc.

The reason that Marine units are designated that way is to distinguish them from Army units in joint operations.

Army units are designated in a similar way: The 506th Parachute Infantry means the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, which was part of the 101st Airborne Divison. [I'm shooting from the hip here - can't remember if they were part of the 82nd or the 101st]

But don't feel bad...lots of folks who are native english speakers don't understand this.

Oh, that's OK, I propably over simplified the unit naming. Thanks for clarification.

Yes I do find the simplified unit calling all around on many books. And sometimes it really confuse me if I didn't read the unit history well.

When I join ROC army back to 90', by that time Taiwan's TO&E had eliminate the regiment & corp organization. That means, from GHQ, army x 3, division x n in each army, brigade x 3 in div, batallion x 3 in brigade, till company x 5 in batallion(HQ, Inf CPY x 3, Weapon CPY). So the regiment is very unfamiliar to me. However, there are a lot of regiment calling in WW2, so I have to do some inner-translation to know the power of a regiment.

Thank you very much for telling me the logical ways of naming in USMC, this will make things remember well, not just flat memorized everything.

A regiment is almost as big as a brigade. In the 1960's, the U.S. Army replaced regiments with brigades, but the kept the regimental designation for historical purposes - so now it's very confusing.

The Marine Corps has regiments to this day. There are brigades, but they are task organized Marine Air-Ground Task Forces (MAGTF's) that typically have a reinforced regiment as the Ground Combat Element.

-lest anyone think things are simpler in the Corps - we added our own little piece of confusion: All Marine regiments are called --th Marines, but some ar infantry, some are artillery, and in WWII some were combat service support units. You just have to know which ones are which. :D

That concludes tonight's military science lesson, kids...tune in next week when we talk about battalion and company designations.... :lol:

Thank you very much. Taiwan follows all the US military doctrines so when USA use brigades, we use brigades, too.

From Frank Hough's book he wrote down the regiment code and coresponded 6 marine divisions. That will be a good reference to know if they are infantry, artillery or others.

If we back to ww2 or korean war, how many fold of the power will be for a reinforced regiment to a regular regiment? 1.5 or 2 times larger?

And one more question, can you briefly explain the "Regimental Combat Team"? TKS a lot.

You can get back to me later when you are available. Good night.

chung814";p="27306 said:
TKS, LN.

How do you know the light weathering for me really stands for "just moment before landing"? You must have learned how to read my mind.

Two things I would like to ask, does marine in Korean war wear metal rank insignia like the army? And second, most of the 782 gear should be greenish instead of khaki in ww2, does the gears get "US" stencil on most of them?

Tks a lot for your suggestion.

Most USMC 782 gear in Korea was still Khaki like WW2 because for the most part it was WW2 manufacture and left-overs, the Marine Corps did not switch late in WW2 to OD gear and still used what it had already until it needed to buy new stocks a long time after WW2. 'US' markings would have been on things like M43 entrenching tools that had come through Army sources but most USMC gear was still sourced directly by the Marine Corps, for financial purposes then part of the US Navy budget, so would have had USMC markings as it did in WW2. Well done on the figure, the Korean war is very under represented in 1/6th so it's nice to see it getting quality attention. Still hoping one day that DML will tackle one of these guys: http://www.granddadshobbyshop.com/DML06802.jpg

As I understand it a Regimental Combat Team is an Infantry unit with support elements like Artillery, Engineers, Armour etc. attached to it so it can work as a self-contained fighting unit with the various support elelements it needs already there, hope thats correct/makes sence.

Back