• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Lieutenant, USMC, Inchon, Korea, Sep, 1950

TKS, reccejon. I found I have to take out most of the "US" stencils from this figure...

I agreed that Koren war is really the forgotten war, in the 1/6 world as well.

I have done a machine gunner in pusan perimeter, a Mathew Ridgway, two chinese PVAs, and now Marine in Inchon. I used to use Cory Walker's rain coat to simulate the Marine in Chosin Reservoir, fairly acceptable but still not very satisfactory. I will do a late war's armored soldier, either Army's flak vest in Pork Chop Hill or Marine's one.

And for RCT issue, what I know is a regiment contains the bettallion level artillary or some other support units according to the TO&E, does RCT get all units in regiment level? Thank you vey much.

Chung,

Speaking for WWII units, how much bigger depends entirely on the mission assigned. A regimental combat team (RCT) just means that is is task organized for independent operations.

Leatherneck

I see. Can't remember the new task unit designation, is it called Marine Expedite force/Brigade/?? something differed in size for new amphibian operation? TKS a lot for such detailed explanation again and again.

By the way, I just got the USMC book which you recommend, though some pics I have ever seen but the quality of printing is perfect!! I read till 2 am and almost miss the bus!!

Glad you enjoyed the book!

I don't understand what you mean about the new task unit designation. Could you try and re-phrase it?

Yes, sure, I will get back to you after the office hour. Those abbreviation like MEB, MEF, ... comes from a Japanese picturial book talking about the USMC, from WW2 till Gulf war. I don't know where the japanese author learned these words but I can find the heritage of many reference, especially Robert Lackie's Korean war and Shelby Stanton's KW uniform book.

Some words I surfed from google:

Marine Expedition Force(I think it's the largest org, divisional, Total number of crew: 47000+)
Marine Expedition Brigade(Brigade level, with AV8, CH46, ... LHA, LHD, ..., Total number of crew: 15000)
Marine Expedition Unit(Should be bettalion level, not very sure, the fastest deployment unit, may arrive everywhere very soon, not include the planet which Alien 2 occupied, 1 LHA plus 1~2 LHD maybe, Total number of crew: 1900)

Chung - you've got the concept right, but to make a long story short; MEF's, MEB's, and MEU's are relativley modern, and did not exist in WWII or Korea.

In early WWII, and in early Korea you find examples of a "Marine Brigade" - but that usually meant a force of one or more regiments with some attached units, but smaller than a divison. Not the same as a MEB.

TKS for reply. Yes, I know MEXs are modern organization and seemed major difference is they include the aviation unit as part of them, besides the amphibian unit we ever saw in the ww2 operation.

I didn't split the total crew number to be marine ground unit & other unit, but my book did, and for MEB, the regular marine ground troop indeed got 8~9K men, and MEU's ground troop IS a batallion level, say, 900 men, and 5 company.

Back