• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Looking for a good helmet weathering tutorial

Ssgtbear

Machine Gunner
I remember seeing one before on the board. I have searched for awhile but couldn't find it. It included the chipping effect and the use of petoleium jelly applied to allow for flaking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Boyd

I dont know about petrol jelly, but I use two methods for giving the chipped paint effect.

I. Strip off all the paint from the helmet, and spray with water.
II. Sprinkle salt on the areas you want chipped. Wait for the water to dry.
III. Paint then entire helmet the color(s) you want.
IV. Chip off the salt.

I. Remove all the paint, and give the helmet a spray of dullcote.
II. apply the color you want.
Use sandpaper to remove the paint on the areas you want chipped.

The second one works betterm as you get more control over where the paint is chipped. The first one works well too, but its bettwr on small scales like 1/48th. The results from each are great.

Can't find a tutorial, but there was a topic on this with some suggestions, including the age old salt trick Richard rightly refers to.

http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/portal/viewtopic.php?t=4891&highlight=chipped+silver

I never liked the salt trick in that the edges of the flaked areas always appear raised or pulled out, which they really are, as opposed to a flat surface being scraped or chipped. The salt trick would be good for a relic or a blistered paint effect in my opinion.

I recall John aka Boot25 posted a painting technique where he used two or three distinct colors to achieve realistic chips. Wish I could find it.

Rick aka Die Werkstat has always had a seemingly natural knack for chipped paint effects. His AH 250 and workshop Kubelwagon are tour-de-forces in chipped paint.

For a fairly quick, overall weathering technique, try this:

An acryllic wash with suitable earth, dust color. ( enamels work just as well)

Remove or cover helmet liner.

Drop a few small nuts, bolts, screws or similar into a coffe can (or similar container) -remove coffe first!

Add small amount of dark brown/rust colored paint (color as desired) Just enough for the screws etc to pick up some paint.

Put helmet(s) in container, secure lid and shake.

Allow to dry

Repeat the process with silver (or similar) paint.

I'll try and post a picture later.

Graham

HELMET1.jpg

You're welcome. This example is pretty heavily weathered, but choice of colours, amount of paint used and the time 'shaken' can produce a variety of pleasing effects.

This method can be used for other 'metal' items too, gas mask cannisters, mess kits etc.

Graham

Back