• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

M Bando Emailed Replies as of 12/2/05

SgtRock

Site Admin
Per explanation in Sticky posted above Technical Difficulties, below is Mark Bando's emailed replies as of 12/2:

[align=justify:03b5792db5]"ALL- My apologies for not responding to various recent questions here. For some mysterious reasons, which I can't fathom, I have been blocked from posting on this forum by the System. So I've asked Ed Lem to post some tidbits for me.[/align:03b5792db5]

[align=justify:03b5792db5] As to the question about Norman Dike-he arrived in the 506th S-2 section just after Normandy and was made an instructor in the S-2's I&R school. He evidently knew someone already, to slide right into a good job like that, upon arriving at the 506th. He was sent up to 101st Divisional HQ right after being relieved for incompetence at Foy. He did survive the war, but he received no significant decorations during his time with the 101st. As I mentioned on the forum of my website, there is a Norman Dike listed in the California phone directory. Why the heck doesn't someone call him and ask him what he thought of his portrayal in the BoB series? Anyone else could only speculate and surmise on those questions. If he saw it, I assume he hated the way he was portrayed. Lt Peacock was depicted in a rather embarrassing light too.[/align:03b5792db5]

[align=justify:03b5792db5] As to the question about little white pills issued to men going to Normandy, some have claimed they were a form of Dramamine. I suggest you post the question on my message board-history researcher Gary Dettore obtained an actual box of those pills from the widow of a 101st vet almost 10 years ago-I think he can tell you the official name for them. Post the question here: Trigger Time General Discussion and Gary will probably respond. [/align:03b5792db5]

[align=justify:03b5792db5]Water-cooled machineguns were not issued to Parachute Infantry Regiments the air cooled M1919 A-4 and later A-6 models were what was used. The 327th Glider Infantry Regiment probably did have some water cooled machineguns as well as B.A.R.'s because they had Gliders in which to transport those weapons.[/align:03b5792db5]

[align=justify:03b5792db5]The question of D-day jump suit colors has already been answered. The basic color in Normandy was tan, but each of the many companies that made M42 suits on US Govt contracts, had a slightly different shade of color. Add to this, different amounts of fading, resulting from sun exposure and washing, and by now, almost every surviving original specimen is a slightly different shade. Although some original makers of M42's used a tan shade of material with a slightly green tint, the actual green uniforms worn by paratroopers after Normandy was the so-called M43 combat suit. Those were worn on the Market-Garden jump, also at Bastogne, in Alsace, the Ruhr Pocket and up past VE day[/align:03b5792db5].

[align=justify:03b5792db5]As to helmet colors on US WW2 jump helmets, I am not familiar with all the various numbered shades of OD, but jump pots were basically the same color as any regular Army pots. I've seen specimens repainted by the 502 after VE Day, in which the steel pot is painted a much darker shade of green The pots were also re-painted and re-stenciled after each mission.[/align:03b5792db5]

[align=justify:03b5792db5] I'm not sure I know what a WW2 era poncho looks like. Most paras did jump with a standard Army raincoat, which can be compressed quite small and flat and carried in a M36 musette bag. They were used as ground sheets, to lie and sleep on each night, more-so than for overhead protection from actual rain. Their insulating qualities on the cold ground were of the most value.[/align:03b5792db5]

[align=justify:03b5792db5]Photo evidence indicates that US flags were not worn on the arm by 101st troopers, in Normandy. However on the Market Garden deployment, it appears that EVERYone in the 101st wore the large, oilcoth arm flag on their right upper arm.[/align:03b5792db5]

[align=justify:03b5792db5]Now comes the confusion over Rigger-modified jumpsuits, vs. arm pockets, which is a separate and different modification. BTW, the answer to most of these questions can already been found in my 4th book: '101st Airborne-The Screaming Eagles at Normandy', which has been available from MBI publishing since 2001.[/align:03b5792db5]

[align=justify:03b5792db5]Riggers were in a Para Maintenance Section, in Service Company, in each regiment, and they were guys who packed parachutes and repaired them. They also sewed canvas reinforcement onto the knees, elbows and pocket edges of M42 suits and also tie downs to the leg cargo pockets.

Many troopers had two sets of M42 so-modified before Normandy. The set worn into combat was usually soaked in a chemical called CC-2 (Chloroamide), which was known as 'gas-impregnation', to ward off poison gas, should the Germans deploy it. Jump suits that are rigger-modified but NOT gas impregnated were usually NOT worn in Normandy. Mail Call did a show in which they implied that troopers made their own 'Rigger' ammo pouches and modified their own jumpsuits. This is not true. The average trooper could not sew through heavy canvas with a needle and thread, to make such modifications or creations. This required the heavy-duty Singer sewing machines that the Riggers had in their Para Maint. shops. As to the so-called Rigger Ammo pouches, they were also mass-produced and are listed in the wartime Quartermaster catalogue as Air Corps ammo pouches. So the ones made by Riggers were copied from those. They were NOT sewn by the average individual trooper. [/align:03b5792db5]

[align=justify:03b5792db5]Now, upper arm pockets, WERE sewn by individuals with needle and thread and not by the Riggers. Although I've heard verbal claims from 501st guys that they salvaged chest pockets from beat up and discarded M42 jump jackets and sewed them to their sleeves, I've never seen photo evidence of it. That doesn't mean it never happened outside the 506th. Many things happened that we don't have photos of, so absence of photos doesn't prove that the 501 and 502 never wore such arm pockets. But I think it's safe to say that most of them never did. There ARE period photos of 506th troopers in Regimental HQ Co.and Easy Co. wearing arm pockets, and Jim Martin of G/506th claims he started that trend. Jim used to be good with a needle and thread and he would charge his buddies money, to sew on their chevrons and shoulder patches. He got the idea to use salvaged chest pockets from discarded jump jackets to sew onto upper arms. The original purpose, was to store cigarettes there, to keep them from getting wet or being crushed by a parachute harness while jumping.
These arm pockets were easily hand-sewn by individuals and not so much by riggers and they are NOT considered a basic part of jump suit reinforcing.

Reinforcing with knee and elbow patches, leg pocket tie-downs and pocket edge reinforcement IS considered standard Rigger modification.
Arm pockets are NOT part of that. As to the question of how the flags, patches, and chevrons were placed on arm pockets, that question was a choice of individual improvisation practicality and common sense. It is also too anal of a question to interest me.[/align:03b5792db5]

[align=justify:03b5792db5]So, my final word about arm pockets is that the 506th is the only unit with vintage photo evidence that it was done, it is NOT part of standard Reinforcement by the riggers, and although the practice may have been done in the 501 or 502, we have no period photos to support that claim. Finally, the arm pockets were applied by individuals, NOT by the Riggers and they were done on a limited scale-even within the 506th.[/align:03b5792db5]

[align=justify:03b5792db5]Wow! That was longer than I bargained-for, but I hope this clears-up and clarifies the question/distinction about personal modifications vs standard rigger modifications. There are a number of rigger-modified M42 suits in private collections, which are NOT CC-2 impregnated. In my opinion, most of those were NOT worn in the Normandy Invasion. The troopers who survived Normandy wore those modified, non-impregnated suits back in England in summer 44, before the M43's were issued for the Holland jump.[/align:03b5792db5]

Next subject, WW2 US paratrooper chevron colors- Pfc's corporals and senior noncoms wore chevrons that were much the same as the rest of the 1942-45 US Army. Dark tan on light tan for suntan summer khaki uniforms, light brown (raised) on dark blue, silver on dark blue and most commonly, pale green on black or dark blue.

Were Helmet stencils worn by all 101st Airborne members in ETO combat? As a rule, yes. The only exception were 101st Divisional Pathfinders who left their original regiments in early 1944, before the stencils were even applied, to train near Nottingham, England. Also (if you read my books you'll see this), guys like Dick Thorne of HQ/501, who arrived on the eve of D-day at the Marshalling area as a last minute member and whose helmet didn't get painted for the D-day drop-there are photos of him on the plane enroute to France with a 'bare' helmet in my 1st and 5th books. Such cases were rare exceptions to the rule.

re: Helmet Nets: for Normandy, most 101st troopers wore Brit-made nets of one inch (rather large) mesh sections. Others wore the 3/4" type. Almost nobody in the 101 wore the small 1/4" mesh until Holland, although MANY 82nd guys had the small mesh nets in time for Normandy. In my 4th book, I wrote that Joe Beyrle of I/506th told me that his entire company was not issued helmet nets for Normandy, presumably because they were alphabetically the last company in the 506th, and supplies simply ran out by the time nets were going to be issued to them, at Exeter airfield. They also ran-out of mae west life vests and Item Co. 506th got issued the life belts instead. Those belts were of the type issued to seaborne invaders and the I/506th troopers were cautioned to keep them up under their armpits or they would be forced face-down and be drowned

Period photo evidence from Normandy indicates that MOST 101st troopers wore at least nets at that time, some with scrim and some without. Also, some individuals in companies that wore nets, opted to discard them, for whatever reason. 1st Sgt Joe Reed of C/506th told me "We didn't wear all that garbage on our helmets"(WE meaning Charlie Co. of the 506th).

I'll close this message by saying that any of you who are serious about knowing such details, should get my 4th book, which can be ordered here: 101st Airborne and related Books , or from Amazon.com.

Thanks for your patience, M. Bando 12/05"

Thanks for sharing your very useful info with us, Mark. For all of you 6AG'ers that don't have Mark's terrific books, you better be good and write a list for Santa. Don't pass these by!

Dougmo";p="18468 said:
Thanks for sharing your very useful info with us, Mark. For all of you 6AG'ers that don't have Mark's terrific books, you better be good and write a list for Santa. Don't pass these by!
I second that...

I have two of Marks books...101st Airborne, The Screaming Eagles at Normandy and Vanguard of the Crusade, The 101st Airborne Division in WWII. I highly recommended both as they contain a wealth of 101st info.

Kyle

:-o I thought I knew a lttle about the airborne troops of WW2, but I now realize that I must continue my researching and studying. :-D

Back