• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

m1928 haversack

muzzer

Mortarman
quick question did the us airborne ever carry the 1928 haversack as issued with the ss bastone trooper? any info would be greatly appreciated

paul

Members of the Glider Regiments in each Airborne Division were issued the M1928 Haversack. (Many switched to the musette bag, though.)

It's also possible for a paratrooper to have acquired a haversack from a glider rider or leg infantryman once on the ground. But the musette bag was preferred by the vast majority of troops.

Last edited:
thanks for the info, does ponder the question how comes soldier story gave their bastogne figure a haversack, they're usually bang on with their authenticity, thanks again rogue

paul

thanks for the info, does ponder the question how comes soldier story gave their bastogne figure a haversack, they're usually bang on with their authenticity, thanks again rogue

paul

Well, keep in mind that members of the 101st, 82nd and 17th Airborne Divisions would have equipped themselves to fight a static ground war in winter conditions. So while we usually associate a paratrooper or glider infantry being equipped with a musette bag instead of a haversack, these and greatcoats would have been in use during the Battle of the Bulge. Soldier Story's figure is accurate in this regard; whereas DiD's is meant to portray a typical airborne officer in late 1944/45.

Back