• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Marder IIIM...It's what I do

fusilier1944

Company Commander
I've been away from the hobby for a while and haven't posted anything in years. Other things in life have taken priority and I lacked the passion to touch anything for quite some time. It's taken a couple years working on and off, but I am finally at a point where I'm about ready to apply paint. Figured I'd post before pics before I begin that process.

A2837CDA-04CE-4C30-AD07-B5C1ED37E867.jpg

D17FADE3-5B6D-4C76-A8C1-E127B55A3C15.jpg

729DF5F6-6FFC-43FB-B239-0B50D575A2EC.jpg

1F95AA48-B002-43D0-8F1F-1FE523FE7483.jpg

6875E436-C33C-4E81-B6E9-8669472CD6C8.jpg

40176D39-C300-4D0A-B335-2E1E4A17C4B3.jpg

59D92566-81FD-4388-83AD-56CDF066B8A7.jpg

4D4DDE85-9587-4E8B-B2F6-3BA074DB76AD.jpg

82AC5265-679D-41E9-BDF8-AB8215306DAA.jpg

6BFCCBFF-3E92-49E1-A6C1-9B3DB14DE45C.jpg

22254EB8-780A-45AB-8B3D-3A25C7588DD8.jpg

ED1199DB-62FA-4814-85BF-449C127CAB45.jpg

1AF75FA0-A428-4D76-A1C5-37F554F35631.jpg

7C36529E-9865-4663-87F7-9EA5587840EA.jpg

B978A7B1-4433-4933-8EDD-214BFC228B12.jpg

3FEF7646-51E3-43D9-9872-E4883D743B61.jpg

50A72FC0-6E78-4A5F-B3BB-C715E6219786.jpg

85EE4185-EEEB-4FA4-BFC2-FDF3DAD3FFF5.jpg

Last things to deal with beyond paint are the chair pads and ammo. Lots of ammo. 27 rounds/vehicle! These were the last of the "prototype" kits. There were a few pieces missing and other flaws to deal with. I sold pretty much all of my vehicles years ago, these ones I'm keeping for myself. I've still got an Armor Hobbies 250 and a Desimone Sherman to get to eventually. Eventually. Thanks for looking.

Great to see you back at it Carey :!:
Your Marders always look so nice. Will be great to see this pair all painted up :!:

Beautiful. So much detail I could spend hours admiring these two. They're going to be amazing when you've painted them.

Thanks folks. Not sure when I'll have time to paint (or supplies) but it has been about 7 years since I picked up an airbrush. We'll see how that goes. I probably have to buy paint. I don't think I have any that's still good. I hope my airbrushes still work too. That could get expensive. Especially if my compressor died.

Don't give up on your old paints! I have used Tamiya for many years. Once they go dry, they are gone, but if you open the bottle and there is still solvent there, there is hope! :)

Your Marders look great! They'll look even better when they are finished!

Dick will be envious as he only has one, for now...

Well done!

Fred

Beautiful work there. I have a question about how does one paint the interior of open crew compartments. Is the vehicle glued or screwed together and if so how do you go about painting all the items you can see inside? Always baffles me how the painting is done. I know all of the interior and components are not all one color. Regardless how it is painted they still amaze me with the amount of detailing done that makes one scratch their heads trying to tell if they are real or 1/6th.... Harold

Fantastic, an insane amount of work and it looks 99% scratchbuilt.

All loaded with crews they will be unstoppable.

Scott

Oh man! As Fred said I'm so jealous. Cary those are out of this world. Outfreakingstanding and KUDOS!

Also very glad to see your back....have always loved your work.

Thanks guys. It's taken a long time to get to this point. I'm starting to enjoy my hobbies again. All about time & money. When I sold off vehicles I had a couple damaged during shipping and that sucked big time. Glad to see the same "faces" still around!

Eduardo: I'm one of the adopters of using latex paint from Home Depot. Custom color matched quart for $20 vs an unimaginable amount for model paint? I'll buy the homer's paint & thin with windex! Only problem is it can rot in the can over the years. Usually a bit of bleach can save it. But not always.

Harold: painting the interior is a pain in the butt! In these vehicle I can remove and disassemble the gun/cradle/mantel. The ammo racks are loose for now. They will be attached after painting. Small details like the chairs are removable. The thing I'm kicking myself over is that the radios are glued in! Thankfully with all the rest removed I have a good amount of working room for painting.

Oh well, if it is latex, then all bets are off! Jaha! I woukd stay away from bleach for sure!
Looking forward to seeing these painted!

actually, I have a question for those who use Home Depot Latex paint. I use it for my Dunkelgelb on all FOA vehicles and I found that Windex thinner seems to create some type of "rough pattern" drying on some surface.

So I'm not using Windex anymore but straight water with no problem. Anyone with similar experience with Windex thinner?

Loic

Loic...never tried the Windex...but have used water and also got a very smooth finish. Always use HD paints. I buy the sample size and when using all 'dunkle' can get two to three vehicles painted with a water mix (am not talking about large vehicles but like 250's, Marders, Grille's etc).

I've always used dollar store glass cleaner so it's probably mostly water anyway. The trick is to get the right consistency. For the Testors Aztec and knockoff Badger airbrushes I use (if they still work) I've had luck with mixing to somewhere between a soapy and a milky consistency. It has to feel right between your fingers. It's also important to have a good primer that has had plenty of time to off-gas any solvents before putting latex over it. Lately I've been buying Ace brand red oxide since it's affordable and works well for the other uses I've had.

I also paint in my garage so everything gets grimy and dirty anyway. But I think we make things too perfect as it is. Just look at real vehicles. The welds look like garbage & paint was often hastily applied.

When I first opened this page, I thought those were rusty marders at aberdeen proving ground. A lot of the stuff there had that same look.

Beautiful armor!

Back