• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

"Nuts"-Battle Of The Bulge-101 Airborne

BERTA

Machine Gunner
Siege of Bastogne

Battle of Bastogne

The Siege of Bastogne was a smaller battle in and around the Belgian town of Bastogne, during the larger battle of the Bulge. Success of the German offensive, seizure of the harbor at Antwerp with encirclement and destruction of Allied armies, required the German Army mechanized forces to use the roadways in order to maintain the speed of the offensive. All seven main roads in the Ardennes mountain range converged on the small town of Bastogne. Control of the crossroads of Bastogne was vital for both sides since Allied control acted to reduce the speed of the German advance while German control acted to increase the speed of their advance and improved resupply of the German columns as the poor weather conditions made cross country travel difficult. The battle lasted from mid-December 1944 to January 1945.
Deployment
As Allied command determined that the German army was attacking through the Ardennes into Belgium, they began a series of troop movements to reinforce key points. As part of the troop redeployments to blunt and stop the German attack, the American 101st Airborne Division, Combat Command B of 10th Armored and the 463d Field Artillery Battalion were deployed to Bastogne.
Retreat from Noville
On the 19th and 20th of December, the 1st Battalion of the 506th Regiment, supported by Team Desobry of the 10th Armored, engaged the 2nd Panzer Division at Noville, northeast of Foy. Together, they destroyed at least 30 enemy tanks and inflicted casualties of between 500 and 1,000. This delay gave the 101st Airborne Division troops enough time to set up their defences at Bastogne. By the time the battalion pulled back beyond Foy on the 20th, it had lost 13 officers and 199 enlisted men, out of about 600 troops.
Battle
The Allied forces were soon surrounded by elements of the German Fifth Panzer Army. The Allied soldiers were outnumbered and lacking in cold-weather gear, ammunition, food, medical supplies, and leadership (as many officers, including General Maxwell Taylor, were elsewhere). Due to some of the worst winter weather in years, the surrounded Allied forces could not be resupplied by air nor was tactical air support available, requiring the defenders to make the most of what was already available. However, the German military strategy involved probing different points of the defensive perimeter in sequence, rather than attacking with a single large force (essentially violating the military principle of "mass"). This played into the American advantage of interior lines of communication and tended to dissipate the German advantage of superior numbers. As the German forces searched for a weakness in the defensive lines, the defenders were able to reposition artillery and machine gun positions to meet each successive assault.
Artillery from the 463rd Battalion consisted of 105 and 155 mm howitzers. These were active in the first few days of the siege, firing at all German attempts to break through the lines. However, by the twenty-third, ammunition had been almost completely exhausted. The remaining rounds were reserved for antitank purposes in the event of a German Panzer attack. The battalion did not resume shelling of German lines until the first Allied supply drop came, which was on that same day.
When the weather improved on December 23, Allied planes resumed flying, delivering much-needed supplies of food and ammunition to the Allied forces defending Bastogne as well as providing tactical air support throughout the area.
Allied control of Bastogne was a major obstacle to the German armored advance and the morale of Allied forces elsewhere on the Western Front was boosted by news of the stubborn defense of the besieged town.
Breaking of the Encirclement
Elements of General George Patton's Third Army, spearheaded by Lt. Col. Creighton Abrams of the 37th Armor Regiment, succeeded in punching through to Bastogne, augmenting the defenders the day after Christmas. The 101st's ground communications with the American supply dumps were restored, and the wounded were evacuated to the rear.
With the encirclement broken, the men of the 101st expected to be relieved, but were given orders to resume the offensive, and were not taken off the front until Noville had been recaptured.
The most famous quote of the battle came from the 101st’s acting commander, Brigadier General Anthony McAuliffe. When awakened by an enemy request for his surrender, he replied “NUTS!”.

THE FIGURE

ammyfalli010.jpg

UNIFOM:MIXTURE OF DID-DML AND NLM
HS-REPAINT:DML
PRIVATE KNIFE:CUSTOM
PLEASE NOTE THE GERMAN BELT(KOPPEL)AND THE LUGERHOLSTER!!
HOPE YOU LIKE THIS GUY!!
USPARA002.jpg

USPARA003.jpg

USPARA005.jpg

USPARA006.jpg

USPARA007.jpg

USPARA008.jpg

USPARA010.jpg

USPARA011.jpg

USPARA014.jpg

USPARA015.jpg

USPARA016.jpg

USPARA017.jpg

Happy Modelling!!!

Everythings been said already but I will say that figure presentations like these are some of my favorites. Its perfect. Really tight job on the stock of that M1.

Terrific work! The stubble on your figure is the best I've seen...any tips as to your technique?
That rifle stock rocks! Keep up the good work!

Excellent detail. Love to see homemade items (knife). I have one of those posters. Probably the most famous 82nd ABN photo ever taken. Many times thought of creating a figure of that 82nd ABN soldier Pvt 1st Class Vernon L. Haught with Company F, 325th Glider Infantry Regiment at the village of Fraiture, Belgium, Dec. 22-23, 1944. Amazing job.

Tank Destroyer Commander "Is this the frontline?"
Haught "are looking for a safe place?"
Tank commander "Yeah!"
Haught "Well buddy, just pull your vehicle behind me. I'm the 82nd Airborne, and this is as far as the bastards are going."

One of THE nicest dioramas I've seen. Every detail is spot on!!! Even the lay of the shirt collar is perfect. They just don't get any better than this one. 5 gold stars!!!

Now........ about Bastogne. Yes the 101st fought valiantly; but there was another unit that helped turn the tide in the 101st's favor - CCB, 10th Armored Division. The 101st was very, very fortunate to have them co-located with them. The initial impulse of the 101st senior leadership was to piecemeal CCB, employing their armored assets around the perimeter, as pillboxes. After rather "testy" discussions, the CCB commander was allowed to employ his unit as a classic Mobile Defense. That is - each time the Germans attacked an area of the perimeter; the CCB assets were massed to blunt it.

Not to take anything away from the hard-fighting grunts of the 101st, but the outcome of Bastogne would not have been successful without CCB. Long after the war, the senior leadership of the 101st commented that CCB, 10AD had never received its due credit for turning the tide. Even today, the defense of Bastogne is taught at the Command and General Staff College as a classic example of how to properly employ an armored Mobile Defense (successfully) in a rather "grim" situation; and come out winners.

Very cool, though i think the trooper on the picture was from the 82nd , but i could be wrong.
Anyway nice little dio!

Just to clarify what I previously posted. The soldier in the picture is actually Staff Sergeant James Martin, 82nd Airborne, Company F, 325th GIR, returning from an outpost near Ordimont, Belgium.

The soldier I described previously was the soldier who muttered the famous quote that was placed on the poster featuring the photo of Sgt Martin.

I apologize for the mistake.

Beautiful piece of art, Berta! The weathering is outstanding and what you did with the G. White head sculpt is nearly off of the charts. :!:

- Ian

Back