• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Operation Biting

drummerboy

Company Commander
The Red Devils first mission is probably one of the most overlooked operations in WWII. It was February 1942 and members of No. 2 Commando learned how jump. With the war entering it's climatic years, the Germans began developing secret devices to fight the Allies. The Wurzburg radar was one of these devices and the selected target for the paratroops. On the night of Feb 27/28 1942, the 2nd Parachute Btn under Maj. John Frost, landed at Bruneval radar station near Le Harve. With 120 men, Frost captured the site with only 2 killed and 4 wounded. The night action was intense as the paratroops had landed over the wintery landscape to capture the secrets of the Wurzburg radar device.

Bruneval raid

Check john Frost's Memoirs "A drop too many" at Leo Cooper-London It gives a good account of the bruneval raid---I happen to live a few miles from ther. The radar site is still visible... :-D

Thanks, I have purchased that book. I am an avid history buff, and have read extensivley on the Battle of Arhnem.

drummerboy";p="5206 said:
The Red Devils first mission is probably one of the most overlooked operations in WWII. It was February 1942 and members of No. 2 Commando learned how jump. With the war entering it's climatic years, the Germans began developing secret devices to fight the Allies. The Wurzburg radar was one of these devices and the selected target for the paratroops. On the night of Feb 27/28 1942, the 2nd Parachute Btn under Maj. John Frost, landed at Bruneval radar station near Le Harve. With 120 men, Frost captured the site with only 2 killed and 4 wounded. The night action was intense as the paratroops had landed over the wintery landscape to capture the secrets of the Wurzburg radar device.
I don't have any sirens going off in my head about this raid either...must find out more. Thanks for sharing.

Kyle

I specialize in studing Commando operations in the Southern theater. No. 2 Commando was part of the 2nd Speacial Service Brigade under Major "Mad Jack" Churchill in the MTO. No. 2 Commando was the first unit to train British airborne troops and which would ultimately become the Red Devils. Info on the Bruneval Raid can be found in any Commado book that talks about actions with No. 2 Commando. The Brunrval Raid also has a book written specifically on the operation (which I've not read yet).

Book
The Bruneval Raid: Stealing Hitler's radar
by George Millar

Haven't read it yet but I'll let you know if nobody else posts that they've read it. My prediction is a that the book will be good as it's soley devoted to the raid.

"The Bruneval Raid: Stealing Hitler's radar
by George Millar"

I just found this post. Ironically, I am reading this book right now. The Chapters seem to alternate to between the A(?) Company's training for the mission and background on the development of radar. In fact, the book leans more to the latter; but it is still very interesting.

For some reason, I have it in my head that this was actually the second British combat jump of the war. I thought there was an operation to destroy an aqueduct in Italy, while successful; non of the Paras escaped. However, I could be mistaken and this jump could have taken place after the Bruneval Raid.

The Lone Star Scale Raider, in Texas, did a photoshoot of this raid. I am surprised more people weren't aware of it. Frost had an amazing war-time career, when you consider this raid, the Tunisian campaign and Arnhem.

Back