• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Paratrooper Uni/Insignia?

Speerz

Platoon Leader
I sure hope you're still with us :D I have a some questions re: Paratroopers uniforms and insignias during the Normandy Campaign.

1. On another board I was told that 101st Paratroopers did not sew on the US flag on their sleeve. Is this true?

2. If this is false, then would 101st Paratroopers with rigger modified M42's sew the flag above/below/on the rigger modified pouch on the sleeve?

3. Which Regiments in the 101st usualy made rigger modified M42s? On another board I was told it was found more in the 506th, was it just the 506th or did others do this too?

4. (Please fprgive me if this is a stupid question :lol: ) What colors were
the chevrons used in the 101st?

5. In the 101st, did every paratrooper have M1Cs with the insignia/marking? (Spades, Clubs, Hearts, Diamonds, ect.) And did some paratroopers jump without netting attached to their helmets?

Thanks In Advance and I really hope you're still around :-P

1. You heard correctly.

2. -

3. I've only personally seen evidence of it on 506th M42s. As far as I'm aware it was limited to the 506th.

4. Same as every other Army chevron. Either the earlier light khaki on dark blue or the later OD on dark blue.

5. Not every paratrooper had an M1C. M1Cs were paratrooper modfied swivel bale M1s. These were not in use on D-Day, fine for an OMG trooper or later. A D-Day trooper would either have an M2 D-bale or modified fixed bale M1 on D-Day. The regimental markings were pretty much standard and seen on pretty much every helmet on D-Day. it became less common as the war went on. Yes, some paratoopers would have jumped without netting, although the large majority seem to have had it.

Thanks a bunch! So I'm assuming that Will Bailey's Chevrons (Assuming its the later OD on dark blue) won't work for a D-Day para huh? Well, looks like I got M1Cs mixed up with M2
and M1s, LOL. Anyone else has any more info, please post! Thanks Fu Man!

*edit* OT: How can you make Will Baileys Chevron into the lighter version? TIA

Bailey's chevrons would be fine for D-Day. When I say "later" I mean the later half of the war including 1944.

Thanks a bunch! Dang, it took me about three threads just to get a straight answer, LOL. But where would the chevron be placed on a rigger modified M42? On/above/below/ or even overlap the pouch? Your info has been very helpful, thanks!

Generally you see them on the pocket flap. But that depends on where the added pocket is located. The chevron should be halway between the shoulder and elbow.

Here is a photo of how I have it done on my reproduction full size M42 jump jacket

100_1490.jpg

I had to fold the bottom part of the stripes under the pocket flap in order for it to fit.

Fu Man: I have an AH M42 were the pocket is located in the same spot as the pic above. The chevron is a 1st Sarge and definately will not fit. So Pops, could I foldthe chevron like you did? If I did, since the 1st Sarge chevron is purty big, wouldn't it look weird?

For a 1sgt rank insignia, it definitly wouldn't work. I have never seen any pics of 1sgt rank on a jump jacket with the pockets on the sleeves. I do know however, that paratroopers were a pretty innovative bunch. It is highly probable that they cut the rank patch in half and put the upper three stripes on the pocket flap and the rest on the pocket itself. Another thing I've seen pics of is the guys painting the stripes on the pockets and sleeves themselves if you didn't have pockets with black paint or some thing like that. I'll scan some pics that I have and post them later this evening (that is later this evening PDT :-D )

Back