• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Project - "Currahee" - Mission accomplished

SteveKrieg

Company Commander
G'day all,

Apologies for my absence, my job called me abroad for a couple of weeks which, upon return, gave me one day to get ready for the weekend (just gone) annual model show - ScaleACT - and the chance to tell the 'Screaming Eagle' story during their time in Normandy.

It took around 2-3 hours to establish the entire series (ably assisted by two of my mates - one of which brought in selected pieces of his own 1/1 scale collection of original U.S. Airborne WW2 artefacts).

The display was very well-received by all who viewed it with many commenting on the finer details depicted. The only setback was Scene 2 - "Saddle-up" which was to incorporate a jumpmaster adjusting the bellyband of another trooper. The figures did not arrive in time for me to build this particular scene so only 19 vignettes (some consisting of a solitary figure) were placed starting with the aptly named "Currahee" and ending with 'Relief at Carantan' which incorporated the biggest model of the series - the M4A3 Sherman.

Whilst good in ways, it was somewhat frustrating that despite the aim of the dioramas, the most comments were made (and the most pics taken) were of DML's Sherman. There were several Americans who visited and thanked me for telling an American-themed story (quite humbling and most appreciated in its own right) and the weekend went by very fast before it was time to pack it all up.

A group photo of the paratroopers will follow but for now enjoy the model show pics. I'd like to thank again all those on SAG that provided commentary (particularly detailing aspects in order to help me get it just so) and inspiration. Not too sure what I'll do next year but when I think of it I'll be sure to post it here first. Cheers, Steve.

Attachments

• 170041858.jpg
    170041858.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 170041859.jpg
    170041859.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 170041866.jpg
    170041866.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 170041867.jpg
    170041867.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 170041868.jpg
    170041868.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 51
Several more pics. I used a full T10 parachute for the main line of tables with a cut-up T10 reserve (the white chute) used for the others (the whole series set-up into a 'J' shape for visitor access.

Of course not all people were pleased and I had, once again, the obligatory visitor enquiring why I was displaying the Swastika flag (The Willys Jeep scene with the souvenir hunter). Other than that, many of the other questions pertained to how much it all costed to assemble (something I think we all dread to even ponder when it comes to our collections) and the role of the airborne in Normandy. The nearby Information Board was another useful tool for those who required more detail than what the diorama info panels provided; I found this (over the years) stops visitors from spending too long at one particular scene.

Attachments

• 170041869.jpg
    170041869.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 41
  • 170041870.jpg
    170041870.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 170041871.jpg
    170041871.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 170041872.jpg
    170041872.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 34
  • 170041873.jpg
    170041873.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 32
One thing that assisted in a quicker set-up (when compared to previous years) was leaving and packing the figures in their poses which required only slight adjustment during installation leaving only the placement of the finer details to be concerned about. The only setback with this is that it required more storage tubs to transport. But now that this project is over, I can straighten the figures allowing more per box.

It's now time to play 'Tetris' with my workshop which is getting harder every year and I'm now in the frame of mind to think about culling parts of my previous diorama projects (something I'll tackle over the festive season).

Attachments

• 170041874.jpg
    170041874.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 170041875.jpg
    170041875.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 170041877.jpg
    170041877.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 38
  • 170041878.jpg
    170041878.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 37
A wonderful collection of vignettes Steve. How did you manage to suspend the canopy of the figure descending?

Wow!!! Well that is just pretty amazing!!! Details, presentations displays, you got is all going on, outstanding exhibition!!! :rock:

Thanks very much all for the very kind comments...just for that...more pics.

Also, with regards to how I got the paratrooper under canopy. I actually wanted this near the 'Green on GO' scene (it was supposed to follow it in sequence) however the ceiling space was higher than predicted with no ladder able to reach nor, plan B, the suspension of fishing line across the display area where the trooper just sagged too low. So, in the end, he was suspended from a lower (more easily reached) ceiling height. The chute itself was framed with suitable gauged wire to allow the 'mushroom' effect though not exactly to my liking but did the job.

Enjoy, Steve

Attachments

• 170060723.jpg
    170060723.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 32
  • 170060724.jpg
    170060724.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 33
  • 170060726.jpg
    170060726.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 29
  • 170060727.jpg
    170060727.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 170060728.jpg
    170060728.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 36
Gary, who provided the actual U.S. Airborne clobber, has been a U.S. Airborne collector for years. It was largely by him that I stumbled upon the four-volume 'Heroes in our Midst' series...a rather thick set covering everything imaginable (and very highly illustrated) reference set and most recommended to anybody interested in the theme. I learned a lot from him on the smallest of details; particularly what I thought I knew prior.

His collection covers a vast array of uniforms/equipment from all combantants which includes near-on a dozen paratrooper helmets...that reminds me, another great reference is Histoire & Collections dedicated volume on the American Paratrooper Helmet which helped me detail helmets from other supporting units of the 101st.

Subtle differences between both the 101st and 82nd - whilst often given as unique to each division - were infact (in the most part) shared given the fledgling 101st was ably supported by a cadre staff from the now veteran 82nd. Though I did include one figure from the 82nd to illustrate the shoulder flag and to support the story of the confusion of the night when personnel from both divisions (due to the mis-drops) coalesced into fighting groups.

Cheers, Steve

Attachments

• 170060729.jpg
    170060729.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 170060730.jpg
    170060730.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 36
  • 170060731.jpg
    170060731.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 170060732.jpg
    170060732.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 170060733.jpg
    170060733.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 49
Cheers muchly Fred,

Even though all the big shows to-date have been a hoot to establish, I found this one-more due to its simplicity more than anything despite (rather ambiguous I know) its complexity in terms of the number of scenes and the story told along the way. I'm now in two minds about doing a vehicle showcase next year. Using mainly vehicle models assembled for previous efforts along with a couple of additions to tell the story of ground mobility during World War Two (initial estimates around 18 all sorts) - next year being the 75th Anniversary of the end of the war) or several scenes covering the story of the German Fallschirmjager during the war (keeping with the airborne theme). I guess I'll toy (so to speak) over the festive season on that one. At the moment though, I'm still packing away the figures, odds & sods...my workshop getting to be a game of Tetris in the process. Thanks again, Steve

Oh man there is so much here!

You've done an outstanding job with all of it. Wish I could see it in person!

Thanks for sharing!

Well done! Great looking set up. I’m a little envious as it feels like forever since I had the time to set up and photograph some of my guys. They’ve been packed away much too long.

Thankyou very very much all,

I was looking at having a combined Wehrmacht Mobility and Firepower series of dioramas for this year's show (the Mobility idea went south when the annual model show was COVID-cancelled), however; I'm now steering towards a larger, revamped version of my first diorama (2013) covering the German Afrika Korps but rather than one diorama, tell it in a series using more vehicles, figures and such than that I had on-hand back in 2013.

Two reasons why - 1. This year marks the 80th Anniversary of their arrival in theatre in an effort to stem the British and Commonwealth advance against the faltering Italians and - 2. I'm keen to get into the 28mm wargame 'Bolt Action' given a mate of mine is doing Brit 8th Army so rather than split my model and research work which could be problematic given there's only so many free hours in a day, I thought I'd combine my 1/6th DAK project (which I had planned for 2023 and will fall under 'Project - DAK') and 1/28th DAK project into one DAK-tastic year. Cheers, Steve

Back