• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Question re Dragon's New GJ and Donkey

Michigan Dawg

Marksman
Patrick, would/could a donkey (the upcoming release) be used to carry the wicker baskets that Dragon previously released?

If not, would a horse (such as those that Dragon has released) be suitable?

Thanks!

Grüß Gott Kameraden,

The donkeys were "liberated" animals put into use in the local area of operation. Mules and Horses were army issued animals. The standard German Army Packsaddle and Tragkorb (baskets) would be too big and heavy for a donkey.

Donkeys were usually used to carry light gear...rucksacks, ammo cans, radios, etc. They can't bear the weight that a mule can carry. Most photos show donkeys with locally made wooden packsaddles:

officerdonkeyjg7.jpg

cretandonkeywm5.jpg

groth24vv3.jpg

Yes, the packsaddle was also used on horses. He's one of my packsaddles on an Austrian Haflinger mountain horse:

davidfancypk7yq.jpg

And here's a few more donkey photos for some ideas:

cretefjdonkey01tr9.jpg

cretefjdonkey02ny9.jpg

cretegjdonkey01ja6.jpg

1089gc6.jpg

Esel vor! (Donkeys to the front!)

I know it's been some time since this was posted but I want to add that the GJ set is with mule, not donkey. I have just aquired this set and I'm wondering if you guys know where I might score some wicker baskets and bridle for 'Pete' (the Mule). Nice to be back, been absent for some time. :wink:

Grüß Di' Gebirgstruppen und Bergkameraden,

C-H made the set with the wicker baskets (Tragkorben) and the packsaddle. I did a quick google search and Krak-Troops seems to have it available:

Krak Troops

chpacksaddlevn1.jpg

Muli vor und Horrido!!!
Patrick

Back