• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Red Army "Rubber Duckie" Outfit?

ODGreen

Rifleman
One of the new DML Soviet figures is wearing a PK wading outfit. The figure looks to be a direct copy of the illustration seen in many uniform books. In my library I was able to find two pictures of the PK suit in use.

Question: How common was this? Steven Zaloga, who knows his stuff, says the inner tube and waders were used to cross marginally fordable rivers. Seems easier to climb into and out of a boat. Plus in real life, I'd have to believe the item expensive to produce and subject to rot when not in use.

It is a must have figure, just wondering.

Rubber Duckie

I'm not a huge Russian fan but these 4 latest releases along with DiD's WOH exclusives are all winners in my book. I'll take one of each! The Rubber Duckie is on the top of my list!

I don't know how wide spread the usage was bit if I remember correctly this was a left over from WWI or an inter war experiement.. I could be wrong.

I have yet to see photgraphic evidence of this, but one of the first books I picked up on uniforms (all illustrations - "Uniforms of World War II" by Peter Darman) has an illustration of this kind of soldier in it and all it says about the suite is: "This calvaryman is wearing the special wading gear that was designed to enable Red Army soldiers to cross the plethora of rivers which criss-crossed the Soviet Union. THis kit includes two paddles for propulsion and a rod for measuring the depth of the water."

Back