• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Review: Toy Soldiers Vietnam SEAL Pointman. LOTS OF PICS

Chii

Machine Gunner
After two months of waiting, its finally in my hands. Its tied up quite a bit of my funds, limiting the completion of concurrent projects :lol

IMGP0264.jpg

The SEAL comes packaged in the window box that all of the recent TS sets come in. A nice box with a removable window section, with another section inside the box to put parts in. All in all, TS has really created a box you can reuse for other things, wether transporting of the figure or loose parts bin.

IMGP0265.jpg

First off, he comes with quite a bit of stuff. A list:

1x ERDL boonie cap
1x Tiger stripe beret
1x Floatation collar
1x T-shirt
1x ERDL camo jacket
1x Faded blue jeans
1x Tiger stripe trousers
1x M56 harness
1x web belt
1x OG 107 medical pouch
4x M56 large magazine pouches
2x M56 canteen and pouches
2x M56 medical/compass pouches
1x Chicom AK-47 chest rig
1x Black M1911 holster
1x Pair of nomex gloves
1x Pair of swimmer shoes
1x Pair of boots
2x M18 smoke grenades, yellow
1x Flare
2x frag grenades
3x AK-47 magazines :hat
1x Colt 1911 w/magazine
1x shotgun
1x AK-47 w/magazine
1x combat knife

IMGP0266.jpg

The SEAL comes with a ton of stuff. On mine, I only used two of the M56 large mag pouches, as I couldn't seem to jam all that stuff onto the belt. Everything looks great, especially the shotgun, which has an amazing paint op. The AK is less desirable, with a problematic sling(I broke my sling swivel off the rear, and tied it around the buttstock instead), and the magazines look small. The smoke grenades and frags are the same you'd expect from TS...the smokes looking great, but the frags leave something to be desired.

IMGP0267.jpg

First off, what I absolutely love about this set. Fully geared up, he looks really badass. The combination of the camo and gear really give him a menacing look. The paint ops on the shotgun and the AK are great, and I cannot resist having more M56 gear. The gloves are great, and are made with a different cloth material than the Hot Toys ones. They're also smaller, and don't look giant on the hands. Dispite the stitching, the Chicom chest rig looks really nice too, and its functional just like the real deal. The leather holster is also excellent, makes me want to get some of the brown leather WWII ones. Finally, he comes with full magazines, 4 of them, 1 for the AK and 3 to fill up the chest rig. If only a certain two big companies, not naming names, would do that for their releases.

Whats bad however, is the chest rig and the floatation collar. First off, although AK mags do fit into it, it won't close with a magazine. That really dissapointed me, as the Chicom rig was a big selling point for me. It looks great, but it doesn't help if you can't fit magazines into it. The floatation collar also looks pretty bad. It looks like it was made as an after thought than an actual piece of the kit. The OG 107 medical pouch is great, but is partially permanently attached to the harness, via a closed loop strap. You have to cut it to remove it off the harness. However, it does include the hook hanger, so things work out in the end for it.

IMGP0268.jpg

All in all, this is a very good buy if you ask me. It looks stunning, just as much so as the previous MIKE Force III set, and to me cements the idea that Toy Soldiers is the King of Vietnam. What with two absolutely amazing figure releases and the flak vests.

Additional photos:

IMGP0272.jpg

IMGP0273.jpg

IMGP0269.jpg

IMGP0270.jpg

IMGP0271.jpg

IMGP0275.jpg

IMGP0274.jpg

Great review! The figure looks great and all that stuff! Very Cool. I have one thing to add and I could be wrong but I don't think they had rip stop during Nam. The Camo jacket has that rip stop look.

You're right, come to think of it. Now looking at the tiger stripe uni, the tiger stripes don't have the rip stop look, but the ERDL does.

I wonder if DML will ever release thier Nam figure? The last Nam figures that were available were from SOTW. The carded sets were awesome I grabbed all I could find. Now that HT and TS are doing some I wonder if the DML one will get scrapped. I hate to ask but what's the going price for this set? I did a few searches and couldn't find it.

This is one great figure. Looks even better in person. Hope they keep 'em coming! Especially line doggies. SEALs and the like are great but it'd be nice to see some regular grunts, too.

I have one thing to add and I could be wrong but I don't think they had rip stop during Nam. The Camo jacket has that rip stop look.

Actually, ripstop dates back as far as 1967. It was the main material used in nearly all combat uniforms issued to personnel in hotter climates (like Vietnam) . The OD's and the ERDLs were made from this material. In fact, I've never seen a set of ERDLs made from anything BUT ripstop.
Sorry, just a bit of knowledge ;)

I'll second that. I've got 3 sets of jungle fatigues (2 OD/1 ERDL camo) that were issued to me in '68 and all three are rip-stop.

i was under the impression that all military bdu's were ripstop (starting since the mentioned 1967 of course) just that the summer weight versions showed the square patterns. i've got modern winter/fall weight USN bdu pants that are heavy and look more like denim. same goes on the modern tiger stripe jacket i own. i've never served with the military so i don't really know. guess i learned something new today...

I've also got a set of Tiger Stripes that I picked up in '68. You are correct - the Tiger Stripes were made in VN & Thailand. They were a striped pattern printed on fairly heavy cotton. On the other hand, jungle fatigues (both ERDL & OD) were manufactured in the US, of light weight cotton rip stop. The first time I saw jungle fatigues w/the rip-stop, I thought it was a manufacturing flaw.

There are three sites I know of that are in the US that sells this set:

www.echobasetoys.com
www.goodstufftogo.net
www.monkeydepot.com

EBT has it in stock, GSTG and MD currently still have it on Pre-order. Unfortunately, as with most Toy Soldiers sets, the price is steep...72.99 for this one. However, I think its worth it as you get some truly quality Vietnam parts. If you're having difficulty finding it on MD, type "SEAL Pointman" into the search bar and it'll get you there.

As with all the Toy Soldier sets, they are often limited to numbers under 1000. Mine was hand numbered as "264/700," so I'd say if you really, truly want one, get a move on it.

Also, thanks for the info on the Rip stop! I'm pretty suprised actually to find out that it's that "old." I too thought it was a modern invention for the post-Vietnam BDU. :!:

I am surprized too I have several vintage Nam unis in my collection. I have one OD green with slant pockets, two woodland camo with regular pockets, a pair of Tiger Strip pants with a woodland jacket slant pockets and an OD green jacket with regular pockets. Not one is RipStop looks like I'll be hunting down a set of vintage Nam RipStops. Nam was one of my favorite eras to collect. I managed to score some VC black PJs, boonie hat, scarf and an NVA uni, Flag and pith helmet for my collection as well. Lately I have been buying all kinds of great foriegn camo for cheap prices.

A lot of people confuse ripstop w/ the earlier poplins. Poplin was a (similar) lightweight material used in the earlier OD jungle utility uniforms, but they were prone to quick wear and tear and had external pocket flap buttons and actually had shoulder epaulettes--lol.
The ripstops were of improved material and upgraded design.

I think we are overlooking an important point. The fact that TS was able to replicate rip-stop on a 1/6 shirt is in itself spectacular!!! In comparison to ERDL stuff from a few years back; there is no comparison.

BTW - there are a few fairly simple solutions to the chest rig "problem". The Dragon "Bowra" RVN figure has a very nice khaki chest rig w/wooden button "thingies". Also, the RLM RPG2 set has a nice chest rig, sans "thingies", but it is OD. A little diluted bleach can fix that, quickly.

Here's some additional pics. On the left is the MIKE Force III set also by Toy Soldier, transferred onto a DML body instead of Toy Soldier's homegrown body.

IMGP0276.jpg

IMGP0277.jpg

The Erdl uniform was absolutly issued in a Poplin and ripstop form. The Standard Jungle uniform had several variatons.

Versions of the OD Jungle uniform:
1. Version 1: Poplin w/epalutes and exposed buttons and waist tabs and gasflaps Pants had button waist adjustment and cargo pocket tie down straps

2. Same as version 1 but with covered buttons and a slightly thicker poplin material. Pants had button waist adjustment and cargo pocket tie down straps

3. Version 3 deleted the gasflaps and waist tabs. Pants had buckle type adjustment and no cargo pocket straps

4. Version 4 was Made out of Ripstop. Pants had buckle type adjustment and no cargo pocket straps

All Nam era Jungle pants also had an inner pocket inside the left cargo pocket

The Erdl Came in poplin and ripstop, like version 3 and 4 of the OD Jungle Uniform

Back