• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Shotgun?

Guarnere

Marksman
Before my grandfather died he had told me a story of a 101st Airbrone NCO in the days proceding D-Day that he encountered carring a Winchester Model 1897 Trench Gun across his back and his main weapon, the thompson. I would like to know if there are any other stories of the Airborne carrying the Winchester Model 1897 Trench Gun?

I certainly wouldn't doubt there were isolated incidents of shotgun use by airborne troops. However, I just went over the Mark Bando's definitive site on the 101st and did quick search. No information about shotguns there at all. Furthermore, it is generally believed they weren't used much at all in the ETO.

My research books on the Airborne in Europe don't make any mention of the trench gun or any shotgun.

Keep in mind that Airborne troopers were scroungers by nature since they would jump in with precious little gear. So, its not outside the realm of possibility, but it was not issued to airborne units. And remember that CQB was not the standard means of engagement in Europe compared to the Pacific where the 1897 was widely used by the Marines.

Might want to do a little Google-based research and see what you can find out. I'll see what I can uncover.

yeah i looked alittle but could not find much, i hope someone can find more info, i dont think this NCO jumped in with it but its possible it was scrounged or even jumped in with but who knows

Back