• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Stug with mixed mantlet

viaad

Having seen Eduardo's Marder, i started looking through my book covering the 17thss in Normandy. I came across this photo in the book which I hadn't noticed previously. Its a stug with a mixed early/late mantlet. Has anyone ever seen this before? Im thinning they added the front of what appears to be similar to the boars head mantlet to the early type. Perhaps with concrete??? Im not certain but thought I would share as I thought it was rather interesting.

IMG_1524_zpsurmvkxm8.jpg

IMG_1525_zps7myufvye.jpg

Re: Stud with mixed mantlet

That is a Stug with a saukopf(pigs head) mantlet. They were used on both Stug IIIs and Stug IVs. They gave better deflection that the squared mantlet

Maybe it's the angle of the photo but to me it looks like a cross between the two mantlets.

Alfonso:

The picture 'appears' to be a STuG lV G with a 7.5 cm STuK40 cannon. The large square to the right of the cannon was extra concrete protection for the driver.

There are two pics on pages 102 (left top) and 260 (last plate).*
Based on what appears to be double periscopes on the drivers side this was an early version. Full production of the STuG IV began in Jan 44 and the cast Saukoptblende mantlet was introduced a month later.

*Info from:

Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World War Two...revised edition

What your looking at Al is the side Armor appears to be part of the box of the early version with the pigs head attached , but its only the side armor for the gun opening , optical illusion .:eek:

Ahhh, got it! Afterwards I was looking at the pic again and I was thinking that maybe it wasnt what i was seeing. I had looked at pics on the web of the stug IV, I was tracking that it was a IV, and I started to relaize that it might be the picture. I wasnt 100% sure though.

For a minute there, I thought i had stumbles onto something unique!:lol:

Back