• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

US Army Airborne & Special Operations Museum

kirk1168

Rifleman
On the way back from my vacation in South Carolina, I stopped in Fayetteville, North Carolina, home of Fort Bragg and the XVIII Airborne Corps. Also in Fayetteville is the US Army Airborne & Special Operations Museum.
100_1582sm.jpg

100_1592sm.jpg

The museum traces the Airborne, Rangers, and Special Forces from their inception during WWII to the present day (including the First Special Service Force, OSS, SOE, and Jedburghs). Some of the highlights include a complete C-47 suspended from the ceiling with a paratrooper jumping out (unfortunately they went for a night effect, and the plane was too far away for the flash to reach, so I don't really have any good photos), a Waco glider, pack howitzers, a Sheridan tank, a UH-1 helicopter, too many WWII artifacts to list, etc.
I really like the way they display the 1/1 mannequins; many of them aren't behind glass or roped off, so you can touch them and handle the weapons. I would guess that they use reproduction uniforms and gear on these displays. Anyway, here are some shots:
100_1597sm.jpg

100_1612sm.jpg

100_1630sm.jpg

100_1634sm.jpg

100_1646sm.jpg

100_1669sm.jpg

100_1670sm.jpg

And one I found particularly interesting:
An M42 jump jacket camouflaged by the wearer:
100_1607sm.jpg

I took 158 photos in all, far too many to post. I took a photo of every behind-the-glass display, which included every US weapon from WWII to present day (and some used by allies and enemies), a display on the SOE & Jedburghs, Korea, Vietnam, Panama, Deset Storm, Afganistan, and Iraq. Ask if you want to see anything specific (I probably took a picture of it), or I can e-mail any photos you want.

Fort Bragg

I enjoy this museum myself; however, did you go to the Airborne museum on Ft. Bragg proper? I feel its equally as nice. It has all your usual US para unis & gear plus uniforms & wepons from British paras on display, Zundapp, airplanes outside nice murals etc...check it out next time b/c its ony 15 minutes from the Spec Ops museum.

Back