• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Vandervoort's Weapon

Tom Sawyer

Marksman
What did Lt. Col. Benjamin Vandervoort really carry on D-Day? I know the movie The Longest Day had hi with a rifle, but was that accurate?

I'm only aware of three photos of Vandervoort in Normandy, none of which are conclusive.

In the following photo, he has what could be a partly empty cloth rifle ammo bandoleer slung across his chest, which has gotten tangled around his waist. No weapon is visible, though.
van2.jpg

And in this photo of a medal ceremony, while Vandervoort (on the far right) sports a pistol belt, has what appears to be a rifle with a M1907 leather sling slung over his right shoulder. It is not uncommon to see rifles being carried while the user wears a pistol belt, since they could utilize alternate means of carrying rifle ammo (such as cloth bandoleers).
ridgway.jpg

A wider shot of the same medal ceremony isn't helpful, since Vandervoort's right shoulder is blocked by General Ridgeway, but note the soldier towards the right with a similarly slung M1 rifle with M1907 leather sling and pistol belt.
lafiere75lh.jpg

Looks like another clue comes from General James Gavin's autobiography "War and Peace in the Space Age". A footnote from the Wikipedia page for the M1 Carbine quotes the book as saying:

"Col. Gavin's love affair with his M1A1 carbine ended in Sicily, when his carbine and that of Maj. Vandervoort jammed repeatedly. Noticing that carbine fire rarely suppressed rifle fire from German infantry, he and Vandervoort traded with wounded soldiers for their M1 rifles and ammunition; Gavin carried an M1 rifle for the rest of the war."

I can imagine that after such an experience in Sicily, Vandervoort would have done likewise and most likely carried an M1 rifle from then on. So I would say that most likely the movie version is accurate, and it's certainly plausible.

From reading RogueJK's post I would say go with the M1 :

"Col. Gavin's love affair with his M1A1 carbine ended in Sicily, when his carbine and that of Maj. Vandervoort jammed repeatedly. Noticing that carbine fire rarely suppressed rifle fire from German infantry, he and Vandervoort traded with wounded soldiers for their M1 rifles and ammunition; Gavin carried an M1 rifle for the rest of the war."

I can imagine that after such an experience in Sicily, Vandervoort would have done likewise and most likely carried an M1 rifle from then on. So I would say that most likely the movie version is accurate, and it's certainly plausible.

But heck, since no one really knows for sure , do what ever thrills you.
No one can call you out on either of the weapons.

Back