• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

What is the State of 1/6 Armour/Vehicles?

Hi Guys

I'm just getting back into the hobby and am considering some vehicles. I've had some trouble ID-ing the current manufacturers. There used to be a thread on this, but I cannot find a contemporary one.

Through luck I came across truescalearmor.com and happened to hit the thumbnail for the M18 Hellcat; saw an impressive tank, and placed an order.

I had been thinking about a German vehicle but could not remember the manufacturers (e.g. Metalbox). If you don't already know who's making what there is no real way of finding info, either in this site or via Google etc..

Some posts here (or on other forums) may discuss a vehicle but often do not provide a link. So unless you are on the boards regularly you loose track.

I had hoped to find some discussion about the M18 or the vendor. I did eventually find reviews and praise about the Staghound built by the same group. So I took a chance.

Many here live near cities that have 1/6 scale conventions so meet the vendors, see the products, view dioramas etc. So you have an "in" to the hobby. A lot of us don't, so threads on Randys, Coreys, Steves etc don't mean a lot.

I was looking for a good quality German piece that was more for a showcase than hard wear n tear. I was hoping to do an indoor diorama. The last thing on my mind was a US Hellcat! It was luck to find that link and it was PlasticPanzer's site that had a few words about the TSA Hellcat (not his product) that made me decide.

Anyway, it would be good to perhaps have a Sticky on vehicle manufacturers, customizers, suppliers etc. A lot of sites, like truescalearmor arn't going to win awards for their lucid product descriptions. That's because the people involved in these ventures do it for the hobby and not profit and their strengths are in design etc and not self promotion.

I'll certainly do my part in reviewing the vendor and the product for the M18.

Thx
Rick (long time member who seldom posts)

Hi Guys

I'm just getting back into the hobby and am considering some vehicles. I've had some trouble ID-ing the current manufacturers. There used to be a thread on this, but I cannot find a contemporary one.

Through luck I came across truescalearmor.com and happened to hit the thumbnail for the M18 Hellcat; saw an impressive tank, and placed an order.

I had been thinking about a German vehicle but could not remember the manufacturers (e.g. Metalbox). If you don't already know who's making what there is no real way of finding info, either in this site or via Google etc..

Some posts here (or on other forums) may discuss a vehicle but often do not provide a link. So unless you are on the boards regularly you loose track.

I had hoped to find some discussion about the M18 or the vendor. I did eventually find reviews and praise about the Staghound built by the same group. So I took a chance.

Many here live near cities that have 1/6 scale conventions so meet the vendors, see the products, view dioramas etc. So you have an "in" to the hobby. A lot of us don't, so threads on Randys, Coreys, Steves etc don't mean a lot.

I was looking for a good quality German piece that was more for a showcase than hard wear n tear. I was hoping to do an indoor diorama. The last thing on my mind was a US Hellcat! It was luck to find that link and it was PlasticPanzer's site that had a few words about the TSA Hellcat (not his product) that made me decide.

Anyway, it would be good to perhaps have a Sticky on vehicle manufacturers, customizers, suppliers etc. A lot of sites, like truescalearmor arn't going to win awards for their lucid product descriptions. That's because the people involved in these ventures do it for the hobby and not profit and their strengths are in design etc and not self promotion.

I'll certainly do my part in reviewing the vendor and the product for the M18.

Thx
Rick (long time member who seldom posts)

Would help if u would indicate what kind of German vehicle you were looking for... 'Vehicle' and 'piece' don't tell us much... Keith (True Scale Armor') carries a bunch of German vehicles that are made in the Phillipines... Mk IV... SdKfz 251/1... Stuka zu Fuss... Depends upon what u are looking for and how much dinero you are wanting to shell out...

Would help if u would indicate what kind of German vehicle you were looking for... 'Vehicle' and 'piece' don't tell us much... Keith (True Scale Armor') carries a bunch of German vehicles that are made in the Phillipines... Mk IV... SdKfz 251/1... Stuka zu Fuss... Depends upon what u are looking for and how much dinero you are wanting to shell out...

Have you looked into Battle Ready Armor (FOA) for a static German Tank? They look real nice & are priced below $700.00. Look into the Nash horn that is coming out, looks SWEET!

Have you looked into Battle Ready Armor (FOA) for a static German Tank? They look real nice & are priced below $700.00. Look into the Nash horn that is coming out, looks SWEET!

The plan is for the new board to have a section for links and reviews of kits, but it is really up to the members to provide the content.

I find if you search by the name of the vehicle you are interested in you get a pretty good idea of what is out there. Not the same as having a 'catalog' to browse at leasure I admit.

Looking forward to your review of the M18 :!:

The plan is for the new board to have a section for links and reviews of kits, but it is really up to the members to provide the content.

I find if you search by the name of the vehicle you are interested in you get a pretty good idea of what is out there. Not the same as having a 'catalog' to browse at leasure I admit.

Looking forward to your review of the M18 :!:

Thanks Guys,

First, I was not asking that every 1/6 vehicle gets listed and reviewed but maybe a list of vendors as was the case a few years ago. (There used to be a sticky on this). Its good for the members, good for the lurkers and good for the vendors.

@grumpytx
Your idea makes no sense. How many vehicles were used in WWII. How many 1/6 vehicles are there? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to align one's desire for a vehicle to the realistic list of those actually being made?

If the M18 Hellcat was not being made, for example, and I placed a post asking about this, it would end up with someone telling me I am out of luck. On the other hand, if I viewed what vendors were out there (maybe a list of 2 dozen?) I would see that an M-10 TD is being made. And the M-10 might be a good substitute, if I was looking for a TD.

Actually, I was not vague or even internally unclear in what I wanted. I was originally thinking about a Stug III or maybe a Panzer III, but wondered what the IVs were going for and who made them, if anyone was. I saw the M-18 and that interested me more. (Panzerwerk.com was down at the time and Keith at TSA answered my questions; so I went from German to US).

@caribmar07
Thanks! That's a great suggestion. I had also not realized that BRA and FOA are one in the same, now, or that some of the FOA Tigers are still available. That Nash horn looks great but I will wait until I get the M-18 before ordering too much..

@Sixth Vanguard
Thanks, Again I was not suggesting a catalog be posted but maybe the dozen or so vendors; even just minimally listed. To be honest some vendors out there are extremely difficult to search out. Andrew Design and MetalBox come to mind (and there are maybe 2 other HK or Chinese companies) Sometimes its the language or in the case of the first 2 their home pages often don't even load. Are they around? Is there a US distributor? That would be useful to know

It would be asking a lot to have every vehicle posted, but I did not find anything about the M-18 here at SAG at all! And only through a lot of searching did I find a review of a product made by the same manufacturer. In truth, I found this via Google!!

So, its all too easy to suggest that info can be searched here. The 1st 3 search hits for the Hellcat had zero info and the 3'rd was more than 1 year old and the rest were getting too old. The thing with search engines is you either miss out because you use the wrong wording or you get too many hits - either way not useful; how much work would a list of vendors be?

The bottom line is that PlasticPanzers has a nice link to other vendors and a gallery of some of what is out there and not just his own products!

It would be enough if there was just a list of vendors, but so that no one can complain of my request I include one vendor:

http://truescalearmor.com/
Make about 2 dozen WWII (and other vehicles), mostly resin and fiberglass. There is almost no information (descriptions) on the site so see contact info. Many vehicles appear to be Callanta customs. The vehicles appear to be made in the far east and then shipped to the US. TSA vehicles get favorable reviews as does the vendor. The vendor is quick to respond to questions, and is easy to deal with.

The above is probably overkill as the link itself would suffice for most.

Thanks
Rick

Thanks Guys,

First, I was not asking that every 1/6 vehicle gets listed and reviewed but maybe a list of vendors as was the case a few years ago. (There used to be a sticky on this). Its good for the members, good for the lurkers and good for the vendors.

@grumpytx
Your idea makes no sense. How many vehicles were used in WWII. How many 1/6 vehicles are there? Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to align one's desire for a vehicle to the realistic list of those actually being made?

If the M18 Hellcat was not being made, for example, and I placed a post asking about this, it would end up with someone telling me I am out of luck. On the other hand, if I viewed what vendors were out there (maybe a list of 2 dozen?) I would see that an M-10 TD is being made. And the M-10 might be a good substitute, if I was looking for a TD.

Actually, I was not vague or even internally unclear in what I wanted. I was originally thinking about a Stug III or maybe a Panzer III, but wondered what the IVs were going for and who made them, if anyone was. I saw the M-18 and that interested me more. (Panzerwerk.com was down at the time and Keith at TSA answered my questions; so I went from German to US).

@caribmar07
Thanks! That's a great suggestion. I had also not realized that BRA and FOA are one in the same, now, or that some of the FOA Tigers are still available. That Nash horn looks great but I will wait until I get the M-18 before ordering too much..

@Sixth Vanguard
Thanks, Again I was not suggesting a catalog be posted but maybe the dozen or so vendors; even just minimally listed. To be honest some vendors out there are extremely difficult to search out. Andrew Design and MetalBox come to mind (and there are maybe 2 other HK or Chinese companies) Sometimes its the language or in the case of the first 2 their home pages often don't even load. Are they around? Is there a US distributor? That would be useful to know

It would be asking a lot to have every vehicle posted, but I did not find anything about the M-18 here at SAG at all! And only through a lot of searching did I find a review of a product made by the same manufacturer. In truth, I found this via Google!!

So, its all too easy to suggest that info can be searched here. The 1st 3 search hits for the Hellcat had zero info and the 3'rd was more than 1 year old and the rest were getting too old. The thing with search engines is you either miss out because you use the wrong wording or you get too many hits - either way not useful; how much work would a list of vendors be?

The bottom line is that PlasticPanzers has a nice link to other vendors and a gallery of some of what is out there and not just his own products!

It would be enough if there was just a list of vendors, but so that no one can complain of my request I include one vendor:

http://truescalearmor.com/
Make about 2 dozen WWII (and other vehicles), mostly resin and fiberglass. There is almost no information (descriptions) on the site so see contact info. Many vehicles appear to be Callanta customs. The vehicles appear to be made in the far east and then shipped to the US. TSA vehicles get favorable reviews as does the vendor. The vendor is quick to respond to questions, and is easy to deal with.

The above is probably overkill as the link itself would suffice for most.

Thanks
Rick

I am busy filling orders right now and molding a ton of new product, but I am always available through email , which is very easy to get or find here on the board , or just a PM , feel free to ask any questions you might have about our Stug or Panzer III, you can view them on my site which is back up but I disabled the cart functions until I am ready to take orders again .

BTW we offer 4 versions of the Panzer III

Panzer III N
Panzer III L
Bergepanzer III
Stug III G

panzerwerk@hotmail.com

I am busy filling orders right now and molding a ton of new product, but I am always available through email , which is very easy to get or find here on the board , or just a PM , feel free to ask any questions you might have about our Stug or Panzer III, you can view them on my site which is back up but I disabled the cart functions until I am ready to take orders again .

BTW we offer 4 versions of the Panzer III

Panzer III N
Panzer III L
Bergepanzer III
Stug III G

panzerwerk@hotmail.com

Hi Steve (Panzerwerk.com)

Thanks for your response and for re-opening your site! I'll ask my questions via this board so others who may have similar questions can benefit, if that is alright with you. (Just PM me if you would rather).

I won't be ordering anything more until I receive the M-18 i just ordered. Although I have 2 Stuarts and an unfinished 250 I just have no experience with the size of larger 1/6 armor. It more space than money right now.

I was almost certain to order a Stug III from you but it was not so much that your site was down (I'm glad business is going well as you have done a lot for the 1/6 community!) but I have never really looked at an M-18. In fact, most photos of armor are taken at eye-level so it was the detail of the M-18 turret that got me, as we look down at our 1/6 armor as opposed to up at the prototypes. And an open turret has some diorama potential. And that is my first hobby goal.

I know the quality of your work and solid reputation but I just have a few questions. I know the Stug III comes painted but:

(1) is it possible to get (buy) an upgraded paintjob? I'd be interested in 3-color camo )or more than stock). I have neither the skill nor the facility to to this myself and paying someone locally to do 1/6 (who has zero experience) may end up with more hassles.

I'd be interested in a paintjob similar to the one on your site:
http://www.panzerwerk.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/20258522.jpg

Alternatively, you have a one-colored weathered Stug #05; which also rocks! Actually, all your painted armor look great!

I'd be open to suggestions and recommendations about painting

(2) Do hatches work? Is it doable? What would you charge? Are there any considerations/concerns about this?

(3) Are the machine gun and mount included?

(4) what upgrades would you recommend - I don't really know what was standard equipment for a Stug (I'm thinking fall 44 to end of war). I'm assuming the tow cables are extra. Are the tools (shovel etc included?) Are there other recommendations?

(5) How robust are your vehicles. I plan indoor and maybe backyard photos at best. I don't plan to roll it on the ground but is it similar to the Stuarts in strength?

Basically, I am interested in a plug n play piece that is ready for display and am happy to pay more for a quality job.

I should mention that I live in Canada and understand that any extra work you do will result in extra shipping. That is, I assume the items are normally shipped from the east to the buyer but if I get work done at your end I will have to pay for shipping to you and then to me.

Thanks
Rick

-*----
RADIOS

You have a number of radios on your site. Do they come 100% complete with earphone and mics? I'll probably send you an email about these. I know absolutely zero about German radios but what was typically seen in the field? I plan a small dio.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Hi Steve (Panzerwerk.com)

Thanks for your response and for re-opening your site! I'll ask my questions via this board so others who may have similar questions can benefit, if that is alright with you. (Just PM me if you would rather).

I won't be ordering anything more until I receive the M-18 i just ordered. Although I have 2 Stuarts and an unfinished 250 I just have no experience with the size of larger 1/6 armor. It more space than money right now.

I was almost certain to order a Stug III from you but it was not so much that your site was down (I'm glad business is going well as you have done a lot for the 1/6 community!) but I have never really looked at an M-18. In fact, most photos of armor are taken at eye-level so it was the detail of the M-18 turret that got me, as we look down at our 1/6 armor as opposed to up at the prototypes. And an open turret has some diorama potential. And that is my first hobby goal.

I know the quality of your work and solid reputation but I just have a few questions. I know the Stug III comes painted but:

(1) is it possible to get (buy) an upgraded paintjob? I'd be interested in 3-color camo )or more than stock). I have neither the skill nor the facility to to this myself and paying someone locally to do 1/6 (who has zero experience) may end up with more hassles.

I'd be interested in a paintjob similar to the one on your site:
http://www.panzerwerk.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/20258522.jpg

Alternatively, you have a one-colored weathered Stug #05; which also rocks! Actually, all your painted armor look great!

I'd be open to suggestions and recommendations about painting

(2) Do hatches work? Is it doable? What would you charge? Are there any considerations/concerns about this?

(3) Are the machine gun and mount included?

(4) what upgrades would you recommend - I don't really know what was standard equipment for a Stug (I'm thinking fall 44 to end of war). I'm assuming the tow cables are extra. Are the tools (shovel etc included?) Are there other recommendations?

(5) How robust are your vehicles. I plan indoor and maybe backyard photos at best. I don't plan to roll it on the ground but is it similar to the Stuarts in strength?

Basically, I am interested in a plug n play piece that is ready for display and am happy to pay more for a quality job.

I should mention that I live in Canada and understand that any extra work you do will result in extra shipping. That is, I assume the items are normally shipped from the east to the buyer but if I get work done at your end I will have to pay for shipping to you and then to me.

Thanks
Rick

-*----
RADIOS

You have a number of radios on your site. Do they come 100% complete with earphone and mics? I'll probably send you an email about these. I know absolutely zero about German radios but what was typically seen in the field? I plan a small dio.

Thanks in advance for your time!

GF...

U mean 'Your idea makes no sense' of being vague on what kind of German vehicle u'd be interested in...?! U would be correct about that... Giving the group an idea of what u want (soft-skin, halftrack, armor, etc) and how much u'd like to spend would help in pointing u toward a source or 2... As I noted, Keith carries a lot of German vehicles and, yes, they are Mardon vehicles made in the Philippines... I own vehicles from Major Midnite, Panzerwerks, Mardon (via Keith and Oz), PlasticPanzers, customized JD vehicles, BRA/FOA, Plastically Anything, Metalbox, Taowan, and several others so being a little more specific on what u are looking for, more so than 'vehicle' or 'piece', makes quite a bit of sense (at least to a Texican; maybe not so much if u'r from the land of Dudley Doright...)...

Semper Fi,
Bill

GF...

U mean 'Your idea makes no sense' of being vague on what kind of German vehicle u'd be interested in...?! U would be correct about that... Giving the group an idea of what u want (soft-skin, halftrack, armor, etc) and how much u'd like to spend would help in pointing u toward a source or 2... As I noted, Keith carries a lot of German vehicles and, yes, they are Mardon vehicles made in the Philippines... I own vehicles from Major Midnite, Panzerwerks, Mardon (via Keith and Oz), PlasticPanzers, customized JD vehicles, BRA/FOA, Plastically Anything, Metalbox, Taowan, and several others so being a little more specific on what u are looking for, more so than 'vehicle' or 'piece', makes quite a bit of sense (at least to a Texican; maybe not so much if u'r from the land of Dudley Doright...)...

Semper Fi,
Bill

GF...

Ur last comment was exactly what I was inquiring about... A Stug III from Panzerwerks is an excellent choice (I have one myself)... Custom paint job--Scott Carter of Faded Armor can fix u up... Upgrades--Panzerwerks or Mike Stannard at Toyrrific have everything u will need... Shipping to Canada will add several hundred dollars to the price (not only the shipping costs but the import fees...)

A little more detail goes a long way...

Cheers,
Bill

GF...

Ur last comment was exactly what I was inquiring about... A Stug III from Panzerwerks is an excellent choice (I have one myself)... Custom paint job--Scott Carter of Faded Armor can fix u up... Upgrades--Panzerwerks or Mike Stannard at Toyrrific have everything u will need... Shipping to Canada will add several hundred dollars to the price (not only the shipping costs but the import fees...)

A little more detail goes a long way...

Cheers,
Bill

Thanks Bill,

What I was really hoping for (and have wanted for the last 10 years) is a German RSO. I know Major Midnite makes them, or did, but I suspect that they cost a bit more than most manufacturers and I've heard that they are a lot more fragile. Thing is I would want maybe 2 or 3. I could not afford it, at least not the MM one's.

I may go on an RSO crusade this fall to rally interest in the 1/6 community.

I think an RSO would be a hit for the following reasons:
- its small (or small for a half track)
- its German
- it carries troops; or
- it can carry an AA gun etc
- its tracked
- it can tow
- it can be open or soft-top
- Panzerwerk make parts
- its unique looking

I contacted Plastic Panzers a few years ago but he did not seem interested. (Too bad) It seems one of the vehicles most suited to roto-molding. If made in a few pieces it also seems easy and small to ship - the largest part being the undercarriage. It could be sold as a kit or ready-made.

It also seems easily upgradeable. A manufacturer can make all parts Roto-molded but Panzerwerk has upgrade parts already.

I'm not too tempted to contact MM because I am certain I could not afford 2. And I think 2 would be a minimum for me.

--
Thanks Bill, for reminding me about Faded Armor. I had his link but have not contacted him yet. His work is amazing but my worry would be that one of his painted pieces would make the rest look pale in comparison. I like the paint/weathering on the Stug IIIs on panzerwerk's site. Beautiful kit and perfect paint job! Just right, in fact...

I'm probably a harsh customer but I once listened to those on another 1/6 site many years ago, ordered a vehicle from a customizer and got burnt big time. Everyone sung this guy's praises. His work was impeccable, he went the extra mile, he got more thumbs up than Christ himself, he was everybody's best bud. So I ordered a kit and he asked for the full payment including shipping. Why not - no one said a word wrong about this guy. Not one.. And he claimed he needed the cash to buy the materials. The roof fell in and suddenly threads were posted on how mediocre his products were, how unreliable he had been etc. So I am now a skeptic - its going to take me a long time to openly trust forums, at least 1/6 forums, for that reason. And I was not alone, he burned a lot of guys so all of us listened to the wrong group.

So, one day I will stand alone together but for now I stand alone...
---

Having said that, Keith at truescalearmor.com has been easy to deal with, prompt to reply to questions, understood my specific wants, and has already started to source upgrades on my behalf. He asked a fair down-payment and has helped me identify some links. Its unwise to recommend a vendor before receiving a finished product, but one could not ask for more at the start of the process.

Thanks
Rick

Thanks Bill,

What I was really hoping for (and have wanted for the last 10 years) is a German RSO. I know Major Midnite makes them, or did, but I suspect that they cost a bit more than most manufacturers and I've heard that they are a lot more fragile. Thing is I would want maybe 2 or 3. I could not afford it, at least not the MM one's.

I may go on an RSO crusade this fall to rally interest in the 1/6 community.

I think an RSO would be a hit for the following reasons:
- its small (or small for a half track)
- its German
- it carries troops; or
- it can carry an AA gun etc
- its tracked
- it can tow
- it can be open or soft-top
- Panzerwerk make parts
- its unique looking

I contacted Plastic Panzers a few years ago but he did not seem interested. (Too bad) It seems one of the vehicles most suited to roto-molding. If made in a few pieces it also seems easy and small to ship - the largest part being the undercarriage. It could be sold as a kit or ready-made.

It also seems easily upgradeable. A manufacturer can make all parts Roto-molded but Panzerwerk has upgrade parts already.

I'm not too tempted to contact MM because I am certain I could not afford 2. And I think 2 would be a minimum for me.

--
Thanks Bill, for reminding me about Faded Armor. I had his link but have not contacted him yet. His work is amazing but my worry would be that one of his painted pieces would make the rest look pale in comparison. I like the paint/weathering on the Stug IIIs on panzerwerk's site. Beautiful kit and perfect paint job! Just right, in fact...

I'm probably a harsh customer but I once listened to those on another 1/6 site many years ago, ordered a vehicle from a customizer and got burnt big time. Everyone sung this guy's praises. His work was impeccable, he went the extra mile, he got more thumbs up than Christ himself, he was everybody's best bud. So I ordered a kit and he asked for the full payment including shipping. Why not - no one said a word wrong about this guy. Not one.. And he claimed he needed the cash to buy the materials. The roof fell in and suddenly threads were posted on how mediocre his products were, how unreliable he had been etc. So I am now a skeptic - its going to take me a long time to openly trust forums, at least 1/6 forums, for that reason. And I was not alone, he burned a lot of guys so all of us listened to the wrong group.

So, one day I will stand alone together but for now I stand alone...
---

Having said that, Keith at truescalearmor.com has been easy to deal with, prompt to reply to questions, understood my specific wants, and has already started to source upgrades on my behalf. He asked a fair down-payment and has helped me identify some links. Its unwise to recommend a vendor before receiving a finished product, but one could not ask for more at the start of the process.

Thanks
Rick

Back