• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Wireless Set No.19 Canadian installation DML Jeep

Johnny Canuck

Battalion Commander
Wireless Set No.19 Canadian installation DML Jeep

This is a Panzerwerks Wireless Set No.19 upgrade and start of a Signals jeep armed with a No.19 Set.
The No. 19 wasn't the best radio produced by the Allies yet it was rugged and more or less reliable and it sure was the one they made lots of. Which is why today it is still popular as a Ham radio set.

wsno19001.jpg

As with most things WW2 there is not a definitive version on the No.19, it was produced from start to finish of the war so there are numerous Models and Mk's for all components as well as additional new components as the war progressed.

Some Wireless Sets No.19.

Mk3 ZA 10479 Ser. No. 599
wirelesssetno19mk3za104.jpg

Mk III ZA 10479 SERIAL No. 101936
wirelesssetno19mkiiiza1.jpg

Various sets many different colours, some in Transit Cases.
surplus3.jpg

Mk III Canadian_512885
wirelesssetno19mkiiican.jpg

wirelesssetno19.jpg

The last two are pretty much the same as the Panzerwerks WS No.19.

The Sets were accessible from the front by removing four screws in the corners, the face then slid out as a tray. The backs of all box components are clear, all wiring is connected on the front panels.
From above.
wirelesssetno19mk3za104.jpg

This photo is basically what I'm building, No.19 Set and Power Supply Unit on a Carrier Set No.21 with Shock Absorbers.
mk2front.jpg

wsno19006.jpg

wsno19013.jpg

19 Set, PCU, Carrier Mount.
wsno19029.jpg

Panzerwerks WS No.19 reworked to fit into a case made of brass and aluminum. The brass was cut into a pattern, heated cherry red, cooled slowly, clamped into a pattern and the indents were pressed in. Some bending and deformations resulted that lead to some surprises later but nothing to significant. The front edge was folded over, in error I folded it out, it should be in, the back edge was was then folded down. The blank was centred on the top so the bends begin from the centre out, they join on the bottom and were soldered. The plates for the fastening straps were added and the back soldered in.

wsno19051.jpg

wsno19017.jpg

The Carrier Mount as above and below has a removable centre rail so the straps can be fitted. The fit between the rails was quite loose. Lacking any easily understood info I made it to fit the Panzerwerk's Set.
wsno19056.jpg

Math is incorrect
wirelesssetno19carrier.jpg

Lastly the Power Control Unit is done the same as the 19 Set and is an insert. The holes for the mounting straps are visible.
wsno19045.jpg

psu2.jpg

The straps that secure the parts to the frame are in two sizes one long one short. These will be the next items made.
wsno19carrierdetail3ton.jpg

Pins that hook into the slots, pins are the same but the bracket is different on the outside end and has an adjustment mechanism.

Centre bracket seated and passing between the L rails and under the unit.

Showing pins

Outside bracket with adjuster.

JC

TBC

Looks great Johnny!

The Cyrillic text on the set proves that it was lend leased to the Russians.

Did the British airborne use it as well?

The metal parts for the straps are now done, they await webbing.

ws19fittings001.jpg

The working adjustable outside strap ends.
ws19fittings022.jpg

Functioning inside strap ends
ws19fittings025.jpg

The finished straps. Burnt one and had to do a repair. Switched to epoxy after that.
straps013.jpg

A schematic of a WS No.19 Jeep install. Items for research: the aerial mount extension brackets, variometer placement, must have been great in the rain, Chorehorse, battery boxes, wiring and cabling details.
jeepws191dr.jpg

A very well mantained WS No.19 with a hoard of related Wireless items everywhere. I think this might be VE3BDB's or Whiskey Town Wireless' set on display at a show in Oshawa, Ont.
ws19.jpg

Next are the brush guards and then this batch is off to the paint shop.

JC

Did the British airborne use it as well?

Airborne is not really my cup of tea, but that never stopped me before. The WS No.11, 12, 19, 22, 62 were battalion/brigade wireless, WS No.18, 48 58, 68 were company/platoon level sets and the WS No.38, 46 were platoon/section sets.

First one needs to figure out what level you're at then that would indicated the type of set, the Airborne often had new/or experimental stuff, I have seen references to airborne only sets late war, different frequencies??.

JC

Lend Lease sent a lot of Canadian Wireless stuff to China also.

The WS No.19 has been painted, the co-axial cables for the aerials have been added. Removable brush guards have been made and a bunch of ancillary items started on.

ws19painted005ce.jpg

ws19painted035ce.jpg

Cable and Pye Plug
bsetaerialbase19set3.jpg

Brush Guard
ws19grillsetrepro.jpg

Dog Bone 12 point plug. These come in various lengths and are used to connect components, junctions, control boxes, etc.
1connectordogbonecable1.jpg

1connectordogbonecable1.jpg

19set12pinto12pindogbon.jpg

dogboneconnectorforno19.jpg

ws19painted012ce.jpg

Fabricated a working 'G' Rod Aerial clamp and mount.
ws19painted018ce.jpg

bsetaerialbase19set8.jpg

bsetaerialbase19set12.jpg

Dogbone, 'G' Rod, 'F' Rod and early type base.
ws19painted074ce.jpg

aerialbaseno8cba.jpg

ws19painted035ce.jpg

ws19painted065ce.jpg

Next are the Variometer and the 24' 'D' Rod Aerial Bag and contents.

Thanks for looking.

JC

Back