• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

DIY British Army ’37 Pattern Web Anklets

ActionMan

Battalion Commander
The 1937 pattern anklets, sometimes referred to as gaiters, were an improved alternative to puttees. Made of canvas webbing, they were uncomplicated and simple to put on as well as to remove. They had two main functions – to provide support to the ankles, and tro prevent water, mud, debris etc., going inside the ammo boot. As they provided support they were close-fitting:

The problem with nearly all 1/6th anklets is that they are too soft and baggy:

I therefore decided to make my own, using a plastic water bottle, athletic tape and the straps and buckles from some 1/6th anklets:

1. Make a cardboard template. I based mine on a photo from a reference book and then adjusted by eye after trying on a figure:

2. Use the template to cut out shapes from the water bottle. (Don’t forget to turn the template over before you cut the second one, so get a left and right anklets).:

3. GENTLY heat the plastic with a hair-dryer and roll them up. This increases the ‘spring’ in them, meaning they will hug the ankle more closely and have less chance of coming loose. (Be careful – this plastic has low melting point and a I ruined one set).

4. Cover the outside with athletic tape, folding a little around the back of the plastic:

5. Test fit, and mark where the straps and buckles should go:

6. Add the straps and buckles salvaged from the originals:

7. Paint them. I used DecoArt So-Soft Fabric Paint (see below), mixing two colours to get close to KG3 Blanco. Looking at the photo I should have given them a second coat:

8. Put on the figure:
I tape the trouser legs before putting on the anklets. I usually unpick the hem to make them a little longer and less thick when folded like this but I didn’t this time. I will probably go back and rectify that.

DecoArt So-Soft Fabric Paint
As mentioned, I used this on the anklets. I also used it on the webbing equipment, and to repaint a Denison (I’ll show those soon!). It's good stuff, usually covers in one coat and stays soft. (I mentioned I should have given the anklets a secod coat, this was only because the tape has a sticky backing and plastic behind that, therefore the paint isn't readily absorbed in to the material).

Thanks for looking.

Thumbs up!
This is a great DIY, and very nice detailed directions.
Thanks for posting, and I will be sure to give this a try.
The "tight fit" is a huge improvement over the look of the original.
Again, nice DIY...

Another advantage of the plastic this the reduced thickness of the finished Anklet. They look great.

Lots of terrific work here, and now I need to find out who sells So Soft fabric paint. Great post!

Thanks, guys.

Lots of terrific work here, and now I need to find out who sells So Soft fabric paint. Great post!

Doug, I'm pretty sure that ordinary acrylics (I use Tamiya) will be fine on these, as the plastic is stiff anyway.

The SoSoft is great for other stuff like webbing that needs to stay supple. I'll be posting an experiment I did on a Denison shortly, so you can see for yourself.

If you had a sewing machine, and used unsticky fabric rather than athletic tape, you could put on all the stitching of the originals first , then stick it over the curved plastic. It would add another level of detail.
Might try that...

Back