• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Entry #8 Bullottawa

Pangaea95

Site Admin
On June 6, 1944, D-Day, Major William Washington, executive officer of the 2nd Battalian, 16th Regiment, 1st Infantry Division ("The Big Red One") came ashore at the juncture of Fox Green and Fox Red sectors, Omaha Beach.

At about noon, he made the seawall. Patrols were starting to infiltrate up the draws (pathways). The german machine guns had been largely silenced but the American troops were still taking casualties from sniper fire, motars and land mines.

"Major Washington expected a major German tank counterattack. He gathered all the troops he could and spent the entire first night ashore wrestling 57 mm antitank weapons up the cliff with ropes with jeeps and winches and everything else"

(quote-Stephen E. Ambrose, "D-Day" Chapter 23 "Catastrophe Contained" pages 446-447)

" You men get that gun up that cliff right now!"

"Sir, that's a foot path."

3.jpg

"Unhitch that gun and get the jeep up that hill."

4.jpg

5.jpg

"C'mon son, easy, easy."

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

"That's it Sargeant, we're halfway up."

9.jpg

10.jpg

On D-Day troops lost their lives drowning in the Channel or shot down by AA fire. Many never made it out of their landing crafts. Ships were lost to mines and collisions. Many who made the beach were cut down before they could fire a shot. Others were lost in training accidents or to enemy actions while training like at Slapton Sands.

Men like Major Washington spent the day doing an important job even though the anticipated counterattack never happened.

This is a tribute to him and all the others who served in all the effort.

Back