• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Making welds

armorpax

Battalion Commander
Hi All,

I have time and again been asked "how do I add welds" so have taken the opportunity whilst working on the Stug to try and put together a quick tutorial. This is not the only way to do this but is the method that works for me so here goes!

All my welds are added using Standard Milliput although any grade works just as well, the reason is the greener colour makes it stand out more than the whiter grades and therefore it is easier to see what you have missed.

I use a dental probe for adding the texture although you can use the end of a paint brush handle if it is flattened off.

Once you have mixed your milliput roll it out into a series of long sausages as shown in the pictures, these need to be rolled down until they fit the groove or angle you going to add the weld too.

You have about 1 hour to work the milliput before it becomes to stiff so don’t mix too much at once!!!

Cimg0569.jpg

Push your milliput into the groove or angle and make sure it is pushed right in so it keys to the plastic otherwise you will find it pulls out when try and add the texture.

Cimg0570.jpg

Cimg0572.jpg

Using the end of the dental probe start to push "weld pools" into the milliput working all the way along the weld. Don’t worry too much at this stage about the edges but concentrate on getting the middle of your weld looking right.

Once you are happy with the middle start doing the same all the way along each edge making sure you don’t leave a gap between the underneath of the milliput and the surface of the model.

When I am happy that the edges are all blended into the model surfaces I normally go back down the middle again just to make the weld more random.

If it doesn’t work straight off just keep working on it until it looks right.

Cimg0576.jpg

Cimg0575.jpg

Cimg0577.jpg

Cimg0579.jpg

Cimg0580.jpg

Cimg0581.jpg

Finally here are some finished examples.

Cimg0582.jpg

Cimg0583.jpg

Cimg0588.jpg

Cimg0589.jpg

Hope you find this useful and happy welding!!

Best regards

Dave

:!: Thanks for the tutorial on your welds Dave, good pics and great explanation. Hope to put it to use some day.

Mark.

Those come out great Dave :!: :!: :!: BTW how do you manage to work
in such a clean work area? I usually find myself in a big mess very quickly.

Hi Rick,

don't have enough room for a mess, more to the point if i don't keep the living room clean I get to live in the garden for a while :lol: :lol:

cheers

Dave

PS one day I might have enough space for a mess :!:

Great tutorial just found it. How do you get miliput to adheare to just a flat surface? Is miliput an epoxy type material or solvent based material. I have never worked with it before.... Thanks in advance.... Harold

Back