• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Panther Ausf G, April 1944 Production

TBowman

Company Commander
This Panther is one of Armortek’s late Ausf G Kit’s that has been modified to represent an early/mid production Ausf G attached to 1 SS Panzer Corps in the Orne valley during the summer of 1944.

I’ve been working on this model for two years and had never intended to do the extent of detailing I did. However, once I started making parts more accurate to a Normandy time frame Panther Ausf G, I found it was very hard to stop at just one part. I also found I enjoyed the customization and accurate detailing part of the build as much, or more, then I enjoy the RC part. The parts are a combination of modified, Armortek parts, custom designed and built parts by myself, as well as many fine detail parts produced by aftermarket suppliers. The kit is fully RC with added commander and bow MG movement. The early style idler was probably my biggest hurdle to overcome as far as accuracy as well as function. It was also what started my desire for accurate parts elsewhere on the vehicle. The spare track links were also very important for me to rework as I feel the detail on the link’s guides is a signature feature exclusive to the Panther. As my first project of this magnitude, it proved a great learning experience that included a lot of other “firsts” for me. Now, I’m looking forward to the next one.

Modified Parts
- Main gun mantle (deflector chin removed MG hole location corrected)
- Front fenders (detailed ribs, fasteners, fender sides, Bosch light cut-out)
- Muzzle brake (detailed collar and brake components)
- Loaders hatch (Interior detail with functional latch)
- Rear engine access hatch (detailed, tow bar/pin added)
- Main deck (detailed and modified front and rear to fit custom made, accurate intake guards,
fan guards and plates, recessed bolts added)
- Turret deck (detailed, vent guard)
- Side fender brackets (detailed)
- Driver and Radio operator hatches (detailed latches and handles)
- Exhaust armor guards (milled corners and added welds)
- Front glacis (detailed top edge and driver’s notch)

Custom Made Parts
- Early style idler wheels (designed in Solidworks, machined hub and outer rim with 3D printed
and detailed center piece and cap)
- Rear storage bins and lids (designed in Solidworks, 3D printed and detailed)
- Spare track links (designed in Solidworks, 3D printed and detailed)
- Exhaust pipes, heat shields and brackets. (fabricated with brass)
- Cooling exhaust fan guards (designed in Solidworks, 3D printed and detailed)
- Cooling intake guards (designed in Solidworks, 3D printed and detailed)
- Side fenders (fabricated with brass)
- Bow MG weather cover/plug (fabricated with styrene)
- Starter handle guide (fabricated with brass)
- Gertsack bracket (fabricated with brass)

Aftermarket Parts
Sixth Scale Icons
- Tool brackets and tools, rear spare track link brackets and tow cables
- Commander MG ring and MG mount
- Mesh covers for cooling intake and exhaust fan guards
- Periscopes and armor periscope guards
- Antennae
- Stowage bin latches

Steve Winstone
- Jack and jack brackets
- Bosch front and rear convoy lights (working)
- Bow MG (with strobe)
- Main gun travel lock

Bob Morey
- Driver and radio operator hatch hinges
- “C” shackles (functional)
- “U” shackles (functional)

Armorpax
- Driver and radio operator hatch spring assist arms (made functional)
- Bow MG kugelblende (Kent Wiik)

PANFINAL1.jpg

PANFINAL2.jpg

PANFINAL34.jpg

PANFINAL31.jpg

PANFINAL30.jpg

PANFINAL4A.jpg

PANCAM72A-2.jpg

PANCAM54A-1.jpg

PANFINAL22.jpg

PANFINAL12A.jpg

Regards
Tim

Amazing work.
With a nartural background it would look 1:1!
Everything about this model looks right.
What did you use for foilage. A Normandy Panther without foilage is not a Normandy Panther!
Fantastic! I think I have just seen my favorite Panther in 1/6!
Eduardo

Tim, I just like, or should I say every time I see it I fall in love again. And I know, and you do to that you are not done yet, LOL
Billy

Thank you all for the kind words.

Eduardo, I couldn't agree more with your comment about German armor in Normandy. Foliage is a must!

I used a dwarf shrub I found at a local nursery. It's not perfect but its branches resembled scale tree limbs pretty well and the leaves weren't too offensively big.

Tim

:shock: :shock: :shock: Holy sh*t!!

My initial thought, when my eyes first glimpsed the the beginning photo was that it was a real Panther, sitting on an asphalt tarmac next to a white warehouse sized structure.

Simply beautiful, and like Tim, I could look at it all day in marvel. Kinda helps that I love the Panther, always embodied what a tank should look like to me. Sleek, lean and a hunter. Ready to pounce on its prey.

So the foilageis natural!
Did you spray it with some laquer, or dullcoat to see if it stays in the current state?
Again wonderful work! :!:
E

Hi Eduardo

Yes, it's natural. I did not do anything to it. It looks even better now that a few days have passed. Looks more relaxed and slightly wilted like so many Normandy photos. I read an article a long time ago of a way to preserve the plant in it's current state used by museums supposedly. It involves actually soaking it in glycerin solution(if I remember right). I'll see if I can find the article again. I was going to try it eventually just to experiment. It's supposed to keep color feel and look as it did when alive, indefinitely. :s

I did find these links. Looks promising

http://www.taxidermy.com/cat/18/dye.html

http://www.knoblochs.com/plantlife.pdf

kind regards
Tim

I followed the build on the Armortek forum and could not wait for each post. This is still the BEST Panther out there, gonna be hard to top this.

This has to be one of the nicest Panthers I've seen to date, amazing work Tim, you've really outdone yourself with this project :!: :!: :!:

Back