• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

PTO Marine Question.

jon math

Rifleman
I've always looked at the MG team of DML's Hunt and Peck and wondered if they were armed correctly. Would a USMC light 30 team have been issued just a pair of .45's. as defensive personal weapons? I figure the gunner has the MG to carry, he's not going to be able to fire a carbine. The assistant is carring the tripod and an ammo can, he too would find it hard to operate a carbine. Once the gun is set up the gunner is running the gun, the assistant feeding it and helping site the weapon, again no time to be shooting a carbine. The gun itself would have riflemen around it making sure they were not flanked, so again no need for the crew to be shooting a carbine. If the gun were to be taken out, and the crew not killed, I'd have to imagine there would have been plenty of "spare" rifles about to pick up and continue fighting with. Many of the photos I've examines really don't tell the story, and I've never run into a member of a Marine MG team. BAR gunners, riflemen yes, many in fact, but MG guys seem to be rare. Any help would be appriciated.
Thanks
Jon

For what it's worth, a friend of mine's uncle was an army mg man in the pacific. He describes being armed with a carbine as well. The DID '30 cal guy, with the addtion of a machete and a carbine is a good place to start.
I know it's not marines, but it's PTO, and I doubt they would have been that different.

My pals uncle still has his carbine.

Thank you! I was contacted by another member who has a relative who did time in the PTO on a MG team and he also conformed that carbines were common among the MG teams. Thanks to all for the info.
Jon

As a matter of course in the Marine Corps, any member of a machine gun team that is not actually pulling the trigger would be armed with a rifle (or carbine) from the time the Corps started using machine guns through today.

Every Marine is a rifleman.

Back