Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 07-14-2022, 01:58 AM   #1
Rolling Thunder Tech
Company Commander

New 1/6 Vehicle Manufacturer?

Found some new listings on ebay out of the UK for a person that is producing a multitude of 1/6 scale vehicles including trucks and tanks.

Does anyone have any information on this seller and the quality of the pieces? Have sent him an email and am waiting for a reply. His store name is "Cerrgear" and he does have a 100% positive rating

RTT

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25556820228...91ae%7Ciid%3A1
Rolling Thunder Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:50 AM   #2
The_Dutchman
Company Commander

Re: New 1/6 Vehicle Manufacturer?

Don't buy from him!

This guy is NOT a modelmaker nor does he have any (or little) practical knowledge of 3d printing.

What he shows on Ebay are computer renderings of models. His 'business'-model is buying 3d 1/35 of 1/72 scale models, enlarging them to 1/6 scale and then slicing them into printable chunks which fit his printers. I've attached a sample of one of his products.
The are two major issues with his products:
- enlarging models from 1/35 or 1/72 to 1/6 will create very chunky details. Just remember the details of the fittings for the tools on DML's 1/6 Sherman.
- those 3d models were not designed to be model kits. Slicing them into printable chunks means that you will need to spend a lot of time figuring out how to make the parts fit and glue together, and then filling and sanding to hide the seams.
As you can see in the picture, there are no individual tracks and each 'track' consists of 8 separate pieces.

One of my friends ordered a Cushman motorcycle from him: it was a POS. The wheels were printed in halves and were oval in shape...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2858.JPG (202.6 KB, 63 views)
The_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 05:50 PM   #3
Rolling Thunder Tech
Company Commander

Dutchman

Thanks for the warning and I'm glad that I posted this before purchasing a vehicle. I was a bit wary seeing that all the images were renderings and not images of the actual models.

Taking smaller 3D files and blowing them up to 1/6th scale would create quite an issue as you stated.

Thanks again for providing your experience.

RTT
Rolling Thunder Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:06 PM   #4
Ostfront43
Mortarman

Thanks for the warning. When I saw the listing, didn't like a pic and not actual model in listing.
Old 07-24-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
SteveKrieg
Company Commander

wow...talk about buyer beware. Cheers for sharing, Steve
SteveKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 03:33 PM   #6
The_Dutchman
Company Commander

Here's another example of a his product quality.
Aparently this Landrover Defender was designed in 1/6th scale but it's lacking any proper details. It also appears he is reducing the printing time by printing thicker layers as visible in the 'stepping' on the headlights.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2893.JPG (102.3 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-26-2022, 06:10 PM   #7
pp
Sniper

Well, it's not cheap at all.... It has prices that should have even had its butts in the ashtray.... I don't know if you have noticed the details of the leaf springs of the opel blitz that it has for sale, they have the same finish from a model to 1/72
Old 07-26-2022, 08:10 PM   #8
The_Dutchman
Company Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by pp View Post
Well, it's not cheap at all.... It has prices that should have even had its butts in the ashtray.... I don't know if you have noticed the details of the leaf springs of the opel blitz that it has for sale, they have the same finish from a model to 1/72
That's because it's likely a 1/72 scale model multiplied by 12 to become 12/72 = 1/6 !
Old 07-26-2022, 08:40 PM   #9
pp
Sniper

Thanks for the math classes.... And yes, it's true, the problem is the following and correct me if I'm wrong... A file .Stl, how much does it cost at 1/72 scale???, of course with the finishes and resolution that this scale gives... 8, 9, 10 euros???? .... OK, well, in case you don't know, it doesn't seem like it, the 1/6 scale is a bit bigger, by 12, NO? , so since I pay almost a thousand euros, I don't want a 1/72 toy on steroids, I want a tank with dwarfism... That's what I meant with the opel blitz leaf springs... Of course it could also be that you settle for any garbage of a vehicle.... I recommend that you change the scale to 1/72, it is much more than 12 times cheaper.... What I want to get at, and sorry for my English as an online translator, is For what they are worth, this man could have worked a little harder, don't you think?
Old 07-26-2022, 08:43 PM   #10
pp
Sniper

Thanks for the math classes.... And yes, it's true, the problem is the following and correct me if I'm wrong... A file. Stl, how much does it cost at 1/72 scale??? , of course with the finishes and resolution that this scale gives... 8, 9, 10 euros???? .... OK, well, in case you don't know, it doesn't seem like it, the 1/6 scale is a bit bigger, by 12, NO? , so since I pay almost a thousand euros, I don't want a 1/72 toy on steroids, I want a tank with dwarfism... That's what I meant with the opel blitz leaf springs... Of course it could also be that you settle for any garbage of a vehicle.... I recommend that you change the scale to 1/72, it is much more than 12 times cheaper.... What I want to get at, and sorry for my English as an online translator, is For what they are worth, this man could have worked a little harder, don't you think?
Old 07-28-2022, 06:52 PM   #11
tankfan0720
Mortarman

I would say this IS model making, just not at the level I want to spend any money on. I want my 1/6 vehicles to be RC, these are never going to be that. The STL appear to be low resolution (ie blocky, not smooth curves, low detail) for easy printing - but that does not mean easy assembly. After spending lots of hours sanding, cutting and filling, you will end up a heavy solid block of plastic <aka giant paperweight> that looks somewhat like the vehicle intended. In the end it will be a psuedo ok rendering of the vehicle with no functionality. I personally would not buy these - even for a static rendition. There are many better options out there. I would say the 1/6 market/industry is still very much alive and well at the garage maker level - even if large model makers (dragon) have gone dry. 3D printing has opened a lot of options for DIY designer and builders.
tankfan0720 is offline   Reply With Quote