• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Bell SK-5, ACV

armorpax

Battalion Commander
Hi All,

Planning is underway for the next big project later this year. I have a few commissions etc to clear first but will be doing some planning and small bits to prepare in between..

Drawings are already done and model scales out nearly 2m long. I have a friend working on the drive for the lift fan which has already been acquired. If we can do it plan is for full R/C with Benedini sounds - Gas turbine etc.

I have managed to get 6 out of the 7 M69 Flak jackets I need and have all the uniforms and crew helmets underway.

If anyone has an M69 of reasonable quality I have 2 marine flak jackets to trade in exchange for the 1 M69. PM if you are interested in the trade. See last pic.

Here's a taster of the beastie.

SK-5 Air Cushion Vehicle (Hovercraft) - YouTube

Best regards

Dave

P8102315.jpg

P8102313.jpg

P8102312.jpg

P8102311.jpg

P8102309.jpg

P8102308.jpg

P8102314.jpg

Also looking forward to seeing this very ambitious project. If this works out then you can start on an LCAC!

Hi All,

After a few days away and acceptance that I am not a dinasaur, and still have some future as a a modelmaker, I am feeling much better.

Although I never want to stop handmaking things (as that is the bit I enjoy) I have also used 3D printing for some of the parts that defeat me. Rp's by Tim Bowman in the past formed the basis for the Pyrene and Kidde extinguisher and a RP was also the base for our British watercan. There is no way I could have accurately sculpted all the indented lettering.

Whilst trawling the net for parts for the SK-5 I stumbled accross some very detailed Huey parts in 1/6th by Helijenks on Shapeways. Some of these parts immediately caught my attention as being suitable for the SK-5 and would save me an awful lot of repetition and headscratching.

I was probably being dim but it took a little while for the Bell Sk-5.....Bell Huey link to makes its way to the forefront of my brain. The sinch was the pics from the US of the Bell AVC interior and the obvious fact that these were Bell Helicopter seats and parts.

Its funny how things happen but an email to Helijenks about one of the parts has very rapidly developed into a mutually benficial trading of skills.

Helijenks has already created modified Bell seat drawings to match those in the pics and we are now waiting on the first sample which will likley arrive in a couple of weeks. Below are the base drawings of first the normal Huey seat and then the armoured one found in the SK-5.

I will be helping him with figures and parts for his own Huey build and I am sure more parts will follow that are beyond my hand making skills to enable this project to become a reality.

If you ever decide to build a 1/6 Huey or similar I highly recommend his parts!.

Best regards

Dave

Assembly1-SeatTrial.jpg

PilotSeatFrameAssembly.jpg

NewPilotSeatFrameAssembly-SeatampFramework3.jpg

Hi All,

Started sculpting the seat pads for the hovercraft armoured seat. The seat itself has been modified for me by Helijenks from his standard Huey seat on Shapeways.

A few of the more complex shapes I need for the Bell Sk-5 are now much more straight forward as Helijenks has offered to draw the parts so they can be printed.

The Sk-5 will hopefully showcase how all the latest tech plus my old fashioned hand making skills combine for the ultimate in detail.

Best regards

Dave

P9142479.jpg

P9142480.jpg

P9142481.jpg

P9142482.jpg

P9142483.jpg

P9142484.jpg

P9142474.jpg

P9142475.jpg

P9142476.jpg

P9142477.jpg

P9142478.jpg

Hi All,

Finished the first of the cabin seats for the SK-5. These are standard Bell Huey Hog armoured seats but without the inner armour panel. Makes sense really that they would use Helo parts as Bell did the work.

The seat is a combination of 3D printing, resin castings from milliput sculpt and hand made plastic parts with the seat belts modified from a parachute harness.

I have for some time been following Tim Bowman's lead and using rubber stamps rather than decals for small detail text. Although the size of stamp is limited Vistaprint do reasonably cheap pocket stamps where the rubber stamp is only stuck on with double sided tape. It is very easy to remove it, stick it to a block and, once cleaned, it works very well with Vallejo paint. I had to make the larger FSN and weight panel out of two stamps but it worked out fine. They have a downloadable template for the stamp upload and if you use the Stencil font they look the part.

The seat has been primed, sprayed in Plastic Soldier US army colour then detailed and finished with Vallejo acrylics.

I would like express my sincere thanks to the Military Transportation Museum who have kindly provided cabin interior shots of one of the SK-5's before it shipped out to Vietnam. Without this we would be working mostly from guess work.

Best regards

Dave

P9152488.jpg

P9192493.jpg

P9212518.jpg

P9212519.jpg

P9222530.jpg

P9222532.jpg

P9222534.jpg

P9222535.jpg

P9222537.jpg

P9222538aa.jpg

Dave
Could you tell me what material selection you made when ordering the parts from Shapeways? I have uploaded some designs for a project I am currently working on and I am about to order some parts. I as because the finish on the seats and cyclic stick looks good.

Alastair

Dave
Could you tell me what material selection you made when ordering the parts from Shapeways? I have uploaded some designs for a project I am currently working on and I am about to order some parts. I as because the finish on the seats and cyclic stick looks good.

Alastair

Hi Alastair,

Material is "white and strong" polished.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.com

Hi All,

The Bell Sk-5 has finally become more than an idea. The sound system has been done and received from Thomas Benedini based on recordings of a real Gas Turbine. It also includes the 50 cals and Gatling gun. With help from the Uckfield Skunkworks I have built the main lift fan and secondary skirt fan module. Fan is driven by an 80w slimline motor and the skirt fan is a 65w commercial airbed pump. To reduce the work the lift fan has to do we have planned the design around a tube skirt which will be inflated and deflated by the secondary pump. Numerous pipes and fittings are inbound to complete this. I have also received the first 1mm thick precut rubber panels that will form the outer skin of the skirt and scale portion. I will soon be starting on the main hull. Although the module is being powered by a sealed lead acid battery at present this is for testing only will be replaced by much lighter batteries (and much more expensive) nearer the end of the build.

Best regards

Dave

P4133264.jpg

P4133265.jpg

P4133266.jpg

P4133267.jpg

P4133269.jpg

P4133270.jpg

Hi All,

I have started cutting and gluing sections of the lower floation hull. The pics give a limited indication of size the model is going to be as this is only the first half of the lower hull. The main hull is longer and wider.

Best regards

Dave

P4143276.jpg

P4143277.jpg

Hi All,

Lower hull shaped and finished. I have 2 wooden skids to make and fit to the underside then can start building out the upper hull.

Best regards

Dave

P4213281.jpg

P4213282.jpg

P4213283.jpg

P4213284.jpg

P4213285.jpg

Hi All,

Wooden Skids added and I've started plating over the lower bouyancy compartments in the hull. Once this is complete I will be adding the lower structure to the crew compartment and starting to build out.

Best regards

Dave

P4273287.jpg

P4273288.jpg

Back