Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 09-01-2008, 11:16 AM   #1
Cover Fire!
Machine Gunner

Daniel Blackburn, 'DMU exclusive'

British Paratrooper, 1st Airborne Division, 2nd Para Battalion, Arnhem 1944 - timewalker toys say he was out in DX'08 but has anyone seen of heard anything of him? because once Dragon USA makes its own, dragon seems to make one!!!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Bullottawa
Sniper

Could it have something to do with DiD doing one?
Bullottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:27 AM   #3
ActionMan
Battalion Commander

Still no photos showing anywhere, but I see he's up for pre-order at one retailer for $74.99 - at that price I'd expect him to come with a 1/6th Horsa!

He's up on another retailer for "Retail Price: $59.95, Your Price: $53.95" which is a little more like it.

I really hope DML pull out all the stops with Private Blackburn and knock our socks off with a unique bit of kit - a 3 inch mortar, a radio set or one of the cylindrical British drop canisters would be really welcome.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:35 AM   #4
serclark
Rifleman

I thought about putting in for one on either Time Walker Toys or Toy Federation, but so far this figure seems to be a "pig in a poke" -- sorry, I don't do pig in a poke figures unless they are at a really low price point. Anyway, normal or resin "ultra detail" headsculpt? Bren, Sten, SMLE, or nothing more than a Webley revolver? What sort of battle dress? Any useful extras? TWT and TF are great dealers to work with (and yes, I've bought from both...), but Dragon really needs to step up to the plate on this figure.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:52 AM   #5
pathfinder
Sniper

so no pics yet on blackburn till now?
pathfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:17 AM   #6
CharlesBronson
Machine Gunner

Man I really hope some pics show up of this fig soon. I'm gonna give Dragon the benefit of the doubt with this.

BUT, if it sucks, I'm giving you guys permission to hate on me. Haha.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:26 AM   #7
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

I still have my doubts this figure will see the light of day but I won't rule it out. Seems like DML jumped the gun on it trying to make the DiD one look bad and preview a figure they had no real plans on really making. The DiD one has been out for some time you would have thought DML would have tried to get theirs out to compete. I don't collect Brits so I really don't care if this guy gets made or not. All I have to say is if your going to preview a figure actually make it.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 07:17 AM   #8
Loke666
Battalion Commander

Its just like when BBI released the SAS desert guy - DML previewed a similar release pictured with a Lewis gun - it never saw the light of day.

Wich is the same story as when DID previewed the illfated 251 - the strange 251 page is still up on DMLs site?

It might be good marketing strategy in China - but from an european point of view its embarrasing.

Henrik
Old 09-05-2008, 02:17 PM   #9
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

Wow, I forgot about that. I have the SAS figure Douglass Caldwell and he is an amazing figure and they only Brit I ever bought I doubt DML could have ever topped it.

I think DML spends too much valuable time and money trying to knock the other guy, money that would be better spent in R&D for new figures or new molds for parts. If the Brit figure hits the shelves it would be great for the guys waiting for it but, truthfully I would have just bought the DiD figure because at least we know it there and I am sure the small errors can be fixed easily. A figure in hand is worth 10 phantom figures posted on the MDFC. We all know when DiD preveiws something it's ready to ship and is available 2 weeks later. I never saw any other company out of China pull anything like what DML does with the way they market stuff they really treat us collectors like we are stupid.
Bella detesta matribus
Old 09-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #10
theToyFederation
Rifleman

We briefly spoke about this topic in a previous post, but the basic story on this figure is as follows:

This figure was solicited by Dragon for those vendors who "A" took out a booth at the Expo and "B" Took part in one of their stocking packages. These stocking packages all were in the thousnads of dollar range. By placing this in stock package order which basically amounted to buying Dragon in Stock product the vendor would be allowed to by extra Expo related items as well as get the DX08 Vendor Exclsuive item which is Daniel Balckburn, British Paratrooper 1st Airborne Div 2nd Para battalion Arnhem 1944. We took part in several of this stocking package and in our humblest opinion we believe this figure to be extremely limited.

Now when we got to the show this figure was not available as with most of our Jeeps which many of you may already know. We just got word that our jeeps have finally shipped which will make many happy, but according to Fridays E-mail still no word on Balckburn. Now during the Expo we were told he would ship on August 15th. Well this date has come and gone. There have been no photos as of yet, but from conversations with several within the Dragon orgainization this figure will be greatly limited and made only to the numbers of those dealers who took part in this package. I re-iterated this several times asking that exact question about will they make more or just what was commited to by dealers at the show who took part in the package and they said it would be limited. Now I can only go by what I was told by them so the Drama continues.

Againt this is going off of what I was told, and based off this information this figure will clearly be under 100 pieces. I can be totally wrong, but this is what I belive based off of the information I was given. We have removed him from our website as we did not want to take any additional orders at this time. We only have a few left that have not already sold based off of the quantities we were allowed to get from our packages. As soon as we get a more definite date he will be back up on our site.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

Thanks for the update and explanation.

Not being a box collector, I don't personally find value in "limited" edition figures. I like figures for what they truly are, not for artificially created "collectiblity". But that is just me. I never bought in to the "collectible" side of the hobby. I didn't get a Winter Gerhard until War-Toys blew them out at AWOH year before last. I couldn't see paying the crazy prices just to get the snow suit :=P

I am sure the box collectors will be happy with this one. I don't remember what the figure is supposed to look like or represent, other than a response to DiD's Brit, so I can't say I will miss it.
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:00 PM   #12
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixth Vanguard";p=&quot View Post
Thanks for the update and explanation.

Not being a box collector, I don't personally find value in "limited" edition figures. I like figures for what they truly are, not for artificially created "collectiblity". But that is just me. I never bought in to the "collectible" side of the hobby. I didn't get a Winter Gerhard until War-Toys blew them out at AWOH year before last. I couldn't see paying the crazy prices just to get the snow suit :=P
I agree.

I could care less about limited editon figures or accessories especially the CH crap to me it's just an over priced toy that eventually will sell fairly cheap when the market goes south. I have had very good luck getting CH, rare or limited figures just waiting for the right time. I toss out 99% of the boxes I doubt these figure will ever be an investment in the long run. You can only make money when there is more demand for figures than there are figures available this is a very small hobby with people leaving it fairly regularly a lot more than get into it. I want to enjoy my toys now not worry if someone will inherit them after I am gone and make a score. With the way DML is rehashing stuff left and right i am sure those premium items will show up sooner or later. I remember when guys insisted DML would never reissue some headsculpts like Ansgar only to see it in the 4 pack recently as weel as other nicer HS from the past. I think the whole thinmg with this Brit figure was just a marketing ploy to hurt the DiD sales plain and simple. I feel bad for the guys who passed up the DiD one and were waiting the DML one to be released and also for the guys who will end up paying the premium price these will be bringing on the secondary market. I treat DML previews like the old 21st Century ones.... I believe it when I see it in someones hands or actually on sale.
Bella detesta matribus
Old 09-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #13
Sixth Vanguard

John, I think my point is more toward "to each his own" than "don't buy the CH-crap"

We are getting WAY off-topic here, but I don't want it to seem like I am saying the figure won't be "worth it" it to some, it just won't be to me.

Everyone has a different way of enjoying what we collectively call our hobby. Some re-work every last detail, some like to display them as designed and straight from, or even still in, the box. Many of us do something in between.

Ultimately, if what you do and how you enjoy the hobby works for you than more power to you.

Obviously lots of folks enjoy the CH line of products. Let's not disparage anyone for how they go about enjoying the hobby.

To each his own.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:02 PM   #14
theToyFederation
Rifleman

We just got the image last night. Here it is.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #15
theToyFederation
Rifleman

I forgot to add that it is on the water and due in September 25th. We should have it a week after that.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:54 AM   #16
104thboy
Tanker

I got one word for it U-G-L-Y! Everything on that figure has to be old pattern.Also looks as though there is no bi-pod for the Bren gun.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:58 AM   #17
ActionMan
Battalion Commander

AS far as the Denison goes these are the colours and patterns usually associated with the WW2 Denison:

Old 09-12-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
Tony Barton
Company Commander

Well , this looks like a rather pointless excercise in spite.

Nothing new:all old castings and fabrics.
Wonky Denison camo pattern , the unsatisfactory Battledress fabric left over from Harry Collins , the plastic beret ; and to cap it all , a pointless repeat of DiD's mistake in providing a Sten bandolier for a Bren gunner..
HS looks good.....

I would be a wonderful thing , and much more creative , if instead of wasting their energy like this , DML would outstrip DiDs offerings.
We should also admire them for it and buy the product.
Tony Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #19
gliderdwm
Rifleman

The smock issue has been brought up on MDFC and word has been sent to R&D. Hopefully changes will be made to the final release.
gliderdwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #20
Sixth Vanguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderdwm";p=&quot View Post
The smock issue has been brought up on MDFC and word has been sent to R&D. Hopefully changes will be made to the final release.
I think we are past that point as Toy Federation noted ...

Quote:
it is on the water and due in September 25th
Old 09-12-2008, 11:36 PM   #21
jepy
Company Commander

That is about the worst Brit Para kit bash I've ever seen.
If DML did that they should be ashamed.
jepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 11:41 PM   #22
jepy
Company Commander

Come to think of it, 21st Century Toys is the only company that has ever done a close proper Denison smock camo pattern.
You'd think with the mighty D's ability to pre-empt the competition, they'd copy something worth copying.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:26 AM   #23
majorarchiegates
Machine Gunner

'Come to think of it, 21st Century Toys is the only company that has ever done a close proper Denison Smock pattern.'

I don't know about that. The Soldat 3 by DML was close to perfect. Its a shame we can't get more of these on the market. In real life, there was quite a variation in the shades and patterns among Denison smocks.
majorarchiegates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:54 PM   #24
arbomambo
Company Commander

Apparently, he comes equipped with a Polish beret badge AND a MK V sten...a few new pattern items as well...I don't have a problem with the 'denison' colors....way too many variations in the real item to start disparraging this one...I have no problem, like Mr. Barton, in dyeing or painting certain colors as long as the 'fit' is decent...
i also understand that this denison is tailored a little different than the previous dML releases...
Bring him ON!
Bruce
Old 09-14-2008, 07:00 AM   #25
Cover Fire!
Machine Gunner

well, any british para is welcome in my eyes!

(why cant they make a box set with only densons!!!)
Old 09-14-2008, 02:49 PM   #26
Loke666
Battalion Commander

I have managed to stock up soldat 3 denissons - so there is absolutely no need for me to get this figure - as there was no need to get the DID para.

If one of them came up with something new - a para radioguy - a para medic - para morter guy etc. - well then this would worth a long debate.
A limited edition rehash - YAWN!

Henrik
Old 09-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #27
Oxandbucks6
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jepy";p=&quot View Post
That is about the worst Brit Para kit bash I've ever seen.
If DML did that they should be ashamed.
Totally agree,what a sack of crap,DML....hang your head in shame and sack the scrap merchant who came up with worthless spares built piece of sh##e
Rubbish,total rubbish
Oxandbucks6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 07:02 PM   #28
TBowman
Company Commander

Too bad. British Paras should be some of the coolest figures(uniform and equipment-wise). IMHO

Does this guy come with any other equipment, Helmet etc.?
Old 09-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #29
arbomambo
Company Commander

He comes with helmet, netting, scrim, Polish beret badge,,,,AND....a MkVsten gun...in addition to the Bren and sten ammo pouches...
well equipped...
Bruce
Old 09-19-2008, 06:01 AM   #30
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

No matter what I have read about this never seen figure, this figure falls very short from the pics they have produced. I can't wait to see the real reveiws and comparisons on this when it actually gets in the someones unbiased hands. The MDFC posts about this makes me laugh it's all fantasy and conjecture IMHO. I just saw the DiD figure first hand at a friends house tonight and it's great even with it's no so perfect items but to me it was great. I will give DML this, their attempt might be close or maybe even but it's not going to be better. The original DML Brit stuff was only So So and I have seen that in hand, unless they did all new stuff it's only going to be as good as their last failed attempt at this type of figure. The last one was only border line good.
Bella detesta matribus
Old 09-19-2008, 09:24 AM   #31
Winterdan
Rifleman

He comes with a helmet...a net & scrim...WOW!!....it speaks volumes that these items are now regarded as a bonus with this figure when i would have thought that there inclusion would have been expected anyway...so far the only item of any note mentioned is the MK V Sten gun which has not appeared for some time....the Polish badge would be useful if it was actually attatched to a grey Polish airborne beret...with a little luck we will get the updated K&C Brit webbing and not the old pattern webbing included with early DML Brit releases...still we shall have to wait and see if it's better than expected.
Winterdan.
I can Drive....DRIVE... my very own tank.
Black,Burnel,Cornwell,Greenfield.
Winterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 09:50 PM   #32
arbomambo
Company Commander

Who suggested that the helmet was a 'bonus'...!
I just replied to the question,"Does he come with a helmet?'...
Geez...
He's a well-equipped offering...two weapons, sten bandoleer, all the various assorted web gear goodies...
again, a well-equipped figure...and I know the web gear and uni will be better than the DiD offering...(which was not one of their best efforts)
Bruce
Old 09-19-2008, 10:18 PM   #33
Winterdan
Rifleman

Please accept my apoligies Bruce i did'nt see the earlier query....two weapons and the web gear.... which i totally agree will be better than the DID Michael Taylor version...if it's the K&C version? along with Bren & Sten ammo pouches ? will be useful....i would say mind you that DML will really have to pull it out of the hat to beat the DID battledress...about which i dont think i read a single bad comment on this board or any other personally speaking for the colour,fit & material used i thought it was the best Brit airborne BD relased so far ...just my humble opinion...as for the Denison i prefer the darker colours of the DID version but perhaps even they could have been slightly lighter.
I for one would have prefered to have seen this figure as a general release i would have picked up at least three set's of the K&C pattern webbing loose....i'm wondering how long it will be until we see the next DML Brit released which has the K&C pattern webbing included,one thing is for certain once i have mixed and matched the parts from both DID'S & DML's versions i think it will be my pride & joy....i also have a few of the Brit gas mask bags tucked away somewhere so i shall certainly be adding that in to the mix.....unless Dan's coming with one of those as well ?
Winterdan
I can Drive....DRIVE... my very own tank.
Black,Burnel,Cornwell,Greenfield.
Winterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:53 AM   #34
Horsa
Company Commander

That is the same post-war denison pattern they used on the original CH "Roy". The corrected on the battle worn figure of the same release. It may have reappeared again, but I can't imagine why they are bring it back when they learned years ago that it was post war...
Old 09-30-2008, 08:49 PM   #35
gliderdwm
Rifleman

Just saw figure is available by someone on Ebay. In stock and he has pictures of what he comes with. For $199.00 this is way overpriced.
gliderdwm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:07 PM   #36
Kev Longino

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderdwm";p=&quot View Post
For $199.00 this is way overpriced.
By about a factor of 8
Let us do, or die!"
Kev Longino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 11:12 PM   #37
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

Why is this figure priced at $199.00?? Is that for real? I think the latest DML regular rehased releases are priced high at $57.00 but $199.99 for a basic rehash is just wrong. You can almost buy three DiD Brit figures for that price. I under stand it's a special release but even still it's way overpriced then add on shipping and your talikng $225.00 minimum. I feel bad for the guys who were waiting for it. From pics I have seen of it it's not that nice to begin with definately not for 2 bills.
Bella detesta matribus
Old 09-30-2008, 11:37 PM   #38
ActionMan
Battalion Commander

$199 ??????????? That's ridiculous.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #39
104thboy
Tanker

Quite ridiculous indeed.If you find it on ebay look at the photos of it.It doesn't even have the para sten but the silenced version.Really a piss poor offering.
Old 10-01-2008, 01:14 AM   #40
jepy
Company Commander

I propose a contest, whoever can slap an identical kitbashed together first, Less the headsculpt, wins.

Starting.......CLICK........NOW!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #41
arbomambo
Company Commander

Old 10-01-2008, 05:13 PM   #42
TAG01
Machine Gunner

Hey Bruce,
I think the one being referred to is this ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DRAGON-EXPO-DX08...QQcmdZViewItem

Trevor

p.s. On an off topic note, when are you going to start your Marder? Can't wait. Keep us posted.
TAG01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:54 PM   #43
arbomambo
Company Commander

It seems one guy wants 199.99 dollars and another wants 135.00...
If this C-H figure is as rare as they're letting on, then I can see 'collectors' paying 135.00 for him...(I could never understand the 'collecting' mind...at least for toys...'Lionel' collectors have proved me wrong...)
I won't pay 135.00 for him...but I'm fortunate, in that, I've been slowly acquiring DML 'Harry Collins' figures and loose Denisons to bash, at least, 6 more British paras in various guises...the DML webbing from this and later Brit figures is still the best...and, of course, the Denison from 'Harry', is still the best produced....
The only gear from the DiD para that I've acquired is a couple of pair of the DiD 'basic pouches' to represent the longer version, a couple of GP shovels, and the knit cuff Denison, which will have to be dyed a little to tone down the stitching...
I would love for this guy to be a regular release...but, alas, it's not to be so...
SO...the door is still open for DML to release another Brit Para...
The inclusion of the 'silenced' mKV sten is disappointing...considering we NEED another release of a Para model MKV....perhaps this could be a Toys City venture into their 'Brit' line?
Regular release at the current DML price point...I'd get him...
As it stands...C-H 'rare' at 135.00-150.00...I can't rationalize it for my budget...

as a side note...any Brit Para release is always going to be somewhat of a 're-hash'...there really weren't many variations in kit and gear for the vast majority of Paras and airborne landing troopers...
We COULD see some different gear like radios, piats, etc...but to complain about any Para being somewhat of a re-hash is akin to complaining about a sunny sky being blue...it is what it is...
Bruce
Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #44
ActionMan
Battalion Commander

Bruce, you've said it all. A figure with a regular Mk. V, decent Denison and a radio, Vickers or 3" mortar and we'd have been happy.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:32 AM   #45
blitzkrieg
Sniper

Visit our Brazilian forum:
www.brigada1sexto.com.br
blitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote