Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Ground Pounders

Ground Pounders Showcase of 1:6 Figure Projects

Old 04-09-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Magoo
Sniper

peadot comparison

Hi, Im Magoo from the Philippines. I'm currently building a Waffen SS platoon and I'd like to share a comparison of the various peadot unis I'm using and solicit some comments. (L-R) medic -the old DML peadot from the carded set, Shouting guy- Soldier story version Wiking grenadier, anemic guy with the STG- current peadot uni from DML, last is the Light pea dot from the old DML carded sets. IMO it seems the Soldier story version is kinda "off", I'd like to know what you guys think before I purchase some more to show some variation in the unit.

Last edited by Magoo; 04-09-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
andy101506
Mortarman

Re: peadot comparison

i too thoguht this of all the diffrent ss camo made between the companies especially did and dml, so last month i bought a hard core ss camo unifrom collectors book for like 50$. There were so many diffrent patterns made that pretty much all camo made by any companies including the old smocks by 21st look correct when compared to real examples and pictures. some times there were misprints of patterns and crossprints between diffrent paterns, and there are still several examples of paterns that there are no official record of. as for peadot, all though it was a standard pattern there were still 2 patterns that were noticebly diffrent due to the factories they were made at. one is the lighter patern and the other is the darker pattern. add to this the diffrent rollers that made the material could produce it slightly darker or lighter. There are even examples of uniforms that had several shades of the same patern to made one garment which gives it a "frankestien" look. i would say that you are safe using all the peadot you have above, the only peadot i wouldnt use would be the 21st ones as they seem to be completely wrong. looks like you have a good looking latewar platoon. would love to see pics of the whole group when they are finished, hoped this helped

andy
Old 04-09-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Magoo
Sniper

Thanks Andy. I was a bit turned off when I first got the Soldier Story version it seemed to 'bright' even if it had the right number of colors. I'll have to purchase another set to add variety. anyway here are some more pictures I'd like to share. I plan to build a platoon with an attached section of assault engineers and maybe a sniper. all comments, suggestions and criticisms are most welcome.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
The_Dutchman
Platoon Leader

Nice SS platoon! As for the uniforms, I think the uniform on the second figure from the left in your first picture is 'outside acceptable color range'. The bright green spots are too bright, they look almost fluorescant.

Just my 2 cents
The_Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Magoo
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dutchman View Post
Nice SS platoon! As for the uniforms, I think the uniform on the second figure from the left in your first picture is 'outside acceptable color range'. The bright green spots are too bright, they look almost fluorescant.

Just my 2 cents
That is the Soldier Story Peadot version from the Wiking figure. I shared your opinion when I first got it, I'm thinking of putting it in the washing machine for a cycle or 2 to hopefully get rid of the overly bright green color.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:23 PM   #6
pangaloss

That's a good solid looking platoon, coming along really well. I agree with you that the soldier story Pea dot uniform does stand out as a lot brighter. Perhaps a solution is to weather them a little more to fade them out. Have you tried washing one yet to see if the colour fades a little? I think in the end if you had two or three of them mixed in with the others it would just look like normal variation. One alone tends to stand out more.

Tim
Old 04-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
Horsa
Company Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magoo View Post
Hi, Im Magoo from the Philippines. I'm currently building a Waffen SS platoon and I'd like to share a comparison of the various peadot unis I'm using and solicit some comments. (L-R) medic -the old DML peadot from the carded set, Shouting guy- Soldier story version Wiking grenadier, anemic guy with the STG- current peadot uni from DML, last is the Light pea dot from the old DML carded sets. IMO it seems the Soldier story version is kinda "off", I'd like to know what you guys think before I purchase some more to show some variation in the unit.

I am going from memory here, but I believe the lighter background shade of pea dot is the '43 version and the version with the darker background is the '44 pattern. The two DML versions on the left and second from right are the same, though one is faded. The Soldier Story version is the same as the DML version on the far right. DML's lighter version is faded again. Weather the Soldiers Story version and you are good to go. Uniforms were anything but!
Old 04-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #8
Magoo
Sniper

Pangaloss and Horsa- Thanks for the info, I will be popping the Uniform in the washing machine and Pangaloss is right, I will have to get another set so it will not glaringly stand out.

On another note.. how prevalent were camo uniforms in the Waffen SS in 1944 up(smocks, pea dot unis etc) compared to the regular uniforms? were they the majority?
Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 PM   #9
andy101506
Mortarman

i agree with everyone above, i would probaly fade the soldier story uniform too. but how prevelent camo unis were will depend on the unit and what year. diffrent paterns of camo were only manafactured at some dates for example the plane tree poly spot pattern was only manafactured in 1941. there is also 3 diffrent styles of smocks that were mainly made, m-38, m-40 and m-42. the first ones of course with out foliage loops. so this all plays into affect when ur trying to protray a unit, of course you could possibly see a m-40 palmtree smock in 1944. i really like your platoon, it looks a lot like mine. i also am working on making a 4 man pioneer squad too, i just aquired all the special equipment now just need the figures ad uniforms.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #10
hansalbin
Company Commander

Great looking SS group.
Just remember anything you are looking at to compare with is at least 65 years old, has been worn or exposed to lightand has surely faded. Maybe the Soilder Story camo is the right colors for a new right of the rack uni.
Wash it a few times and see how it looks.
hansalbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 07:57 PM   #11
andy101506
Mortarman

the only thing i would have to say as a critiqe is you might want to add another mg team, mtoe for a german infantry squad was one mg team per squad. but casualties and equipment would not allow for that at times.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 PM   #12
Magoo
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy101506 View Post
the only thing i would have to say as a critiqe is you might want to add another mg team, mtoe for a german infantry squad was one mg team per squad. but casualties and equipment would not allow for that at times.
thanks Andy. there are actually 3 mg teams there, I guess they just cant be seen. Most of the smocks I used are of the m42 kind(oakleaf, plain tree and blurred edge) although I do have one guy in a palm tree pattern. It would be great to see your Pioneers when your done with them.

Hansalbin- thank you for taking the time to reply, I willl try what you and the others have suggested.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 AM   #13
jugend
Rifleman

As much as you feel the soldier story is too bright, I do have a 12th ss color pix of a guy with the same brownish hue as the soldier story uni. I think the current DML is okay, but looking at the Blood and Honor book, the contrast in colors of the peadot DOES reflect soldier story to be more accurate, which leads me to believe that it is more of the brownish base rather then the green base. I think just fade they Soldier story uni and that would be more realistic then the others.
jugend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
Magoo
Sniper

Jugend- I will be weathering the Soldier Story uniform and get just 1 more to have a mix in the group. I will follow the advise given and have all 3 variantions because I still have a couple of the old carded DML pea dots and I cant let that go to waste..
Old 04-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #15
Krieger
Battalion Commander

I find with a lot of the synthetic fabric, a wash does nothing to fade it. The best method I've found is to dirty it up with either ashes from the fireplace, weathering powders, or real dirt.
Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #16
Magoo
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
I find with a lot of the synthetic fabric, a wash does nothing to fade it. The best method I've found is to dirty it up with either ashes from the fireplace, weathering powders, or real dirt.
I put the uniform thru one cucle in the washing machine and I dont think it lessened the brightness of the uniform. I'll try using some soft pastels.