Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Near Miss

Near Miss Off Topic, Humor and Subjects not Relevant to 1:6 WWII

Old 05-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
USMCPrice
Mortarman

HBO's the Pacific

Anyone here watching the mini-series "The Pacific". If so I'd like your impressions so far.
USMCPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #2
pzrwest
Brigade Commander

Send a message via MSN to pzrwest Send a message via Yahoo to pzrwest
PTO isn't my main interest but I am enjoying the series The Pacific, but prefer BOB over The Pacific
Old 05-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #3
M37M880
Company Commander

I am watching and enjoying the series. Action scenes are riveting and well made and the CG shots are awesome and have a realistic feel.

I read Sledge's book "With the Old Breed" last summer and it was the best 1st person narrative on combat that I have ever read. I recommend it highly. I just ordered his follow up story: "China Marine" about Sledge's experience with Marines sent into China after the end of WW2. Who knew?

The other two books about Basilone and Robert Leckie's experiences, I'm reading now. The Basilone book is tough because of the many conflicting stories about what really happened, without Basilone around to tell his own story. Too bad.

TTT
Old 05-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
Galland
Machine Gunner

Since I live in the cultural vacum and total void, the Peoples Republic of Communist Sweden... I havent had the pleasure to watch it yet.

However, I belive Björn have seen it, so I will pester him for the "howto" ;-)

Tony Alva - Rättsvik, Sweden 1978
Galland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #5
Leatherneck
Brigade Commander

I don't have HBO, and don't want to watch it on the internet, so I'm patiently waiting for the DVD. My dad (also a former jarhead and history fan) has been watching it, and has had good things to say about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M37M880";p=&quot View Post
I read Sledge's book "With the Old Breed" last summer and it was the best 1st person narrative on combat that I have ever read. I recommend it highly...
For no particular reason, I had put off reading this since it first came out. What a stupid mistake that was. Recently, I finally decided to get it off the shelf. I just finished it a couple of days ago and I completely agree. With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa is the best 1st person narrative on combat that I have ever read, and I have read many. I couldn't put it down.

Three things that really struck me:

*The poor quality of some of the lieutenants that joined the company after Peleliu.

*The really poor state of training held by replacements that joined the company toward the end of the Okinawa campaign

*The horrific brutality of the battlefield on Okinawa. I wasn't very knowledgeable about this specific battle prior to reading the book, having only read summaries of the campaign. It was some of the harshest battlefield conditions I've ever heard of. Right up there with Stalingrad at the worst point or the Western Front in WWI. Debatably worse than that.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
101¹
Machine Gunner

Well Im up to: Part Eight [From Internet]
[Basilone is transferred to the 5th Marine Division and lands at Iwo Jima.] So it should be the best episode of the series...
-
Hmmm not bad, not great either.. I must say character development seems a little lacking as does some kind of emotional punch. I know one shouldn't compare, though after being spoilt with Band Of Brothers, I cant say for sure I will be rushing out to buy The Pacific DVD box set when its released...
-
More disappointing, the wait was 2-3 weeks after it aired in the US before it started here in Australia. Our Channel 7 has it promoted as "The fight for Australia" http://au.tv.yahoo.com/the-pacific/

I wonder want the veterans would think of the series so far...
101¹ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #7
kendalljamie
Tanker

Just watched episode 7 last night. It's a good series, but IMO not up to the level of BoB. As 101¹ said, character development is lacking. When BoB was first on HBO, I caught every episode the week it aired, and only watched each episode once until I had seen all 10. By the 3rd or 4th episode of BoB, I knew every character's name that had been introduced and could recognize their voices. It's not the same with The Pacific. I think it's because the location and characters skip all over the place. One minute you'll be with ***** in the hospital, the next your with ***** on the battlefield, and 5 minutes later ***** is banging the drum for the war effort.

I replaced names with * so it would not spoil it for those who had not seen it.

Jamie
Old 05-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
B Hellqvist
Company Commander

I've seen the seven episodes aired so far, and found this to be a series for mature viewers. Not that BoB viewers are immature (well, some of the BoB fanbois on the IMDb forums are...), but "The Pacific" is more grim and demanding. There's some full frontal nudity (male), a couple of sex scenes (no naughty bits, but all those who got their knickers in a bunch over the brief scene in BoB will need their smelling salts), and the combat scenes are more gruesome, right up there with the stickier parts in SPR.

Episodes 1 & 2 cover Guadalcanal, introducing Leckie and Basilone (and Sledge, but he doesn't come into the fore until episode 5). Episode 3 handles the nine months off the line in Melbourne. Episode 4 handles Cape Gloucester and the toll the continued fighting took on the men. Episodes 5-7 passes the torch from Leckie to Sledge, and cover the fighting for Peleliu. The series kicks into high gear. There are scenes there which will stay with the viewer for a long time...

Contrary to Jamie, I had trouble telling several BoB characters apart after the first viewings, and I know that many others have had similar difficulties, too. There aren't as many characters to keep track of in "The Pacific", but it pays to stay attentive and perhaps visit the character guide on HBO's website. As I said, "The Pacific" is more demanding, and not as easily digested as BoB, but if the remaining episodes manage to keep the momentum, I expect the series to become a minor classic.
B Hellqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
USMCPrice
Mortarman

I think it's outstanding, especially the last episode, it was brutal and emotionally draining. I was kind of disappointed with the first episode, comparing it to BoB, which I'm a big fan of and have watched many, many times. Then my oldest son pointed out that the perspectives are different. BoB is from a historians perspective, "The Pacific" is from the perspective of the infantryman. Once I changed what I was expecting, I really got into the series and they really managed to portray the feelings and emotions of what the Marines experienced. I haven't had any problem following the main characters but I've read the books many times over the years and watched the little info things from HBO so I associated the actors face with the person they were portraying, both the main characters and the secondary ones. I DVR'd the series and the second time I watched it I actually picked up on a number of the background characters.

Quote:
M37M880 wrote:
The Basilone book is tough because of the many conflicting stories about what really happened, without Basilone around to tell his own story. Too bad.
Dude, I can hook you up. Here is a PDF of an interview done with Basilone after Guadalcanal.
http://www.usni.org/magazines/navalh...?STORY_ID=2239

Sid Phillips, Sledge's boyhood friend and served in Leckie's company, he's the Marine that ties the two stories together (Helmet for my Pillow and With the Old Breed). He turned 18 on Guadalcanal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjtLw...eature=channel

Robert Leckie, he and his friends Chuckler, Runner and Hoosier, along with Sid Phillips are the main characters from Guadalcanal to Peleilu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HTGu...eature=related

Eugene Sledge, Sid Phillips boyhood friend. He and his comrades are the focus of the second half of the series. R.V. Burgin, Snafu Shelton, Lt. Hillbilly Jones, Capt. Hildane, Bill Leyden and Jay De L'eau. I almost forgot Gunny Haney, he fought in WWI at Belleau Wood, one of my favorite characters.
Sledge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GHjg...eature=channel
Burgin (Sledge's Cpl), Bill Leyden also speaks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnHy1...eature=channel

The third story line of the series is Marine Medal of Honor recipient John Basilone. His story spans the series from pre-war to Iwo Jima and interweaves with the two main stories. Characters associated with his story line are Sgt. J.P. Morgan, Manny Rodriguez, Col. Chesty Puller, Chuck Tatum and Steve Evanson.
Basilone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW4rr...eature=channel
Chuck Tatum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2YJC...eature=related

I hope this helps some recognize the characters and the real vets being portrayed.

BTW, one common gripe about the Pacific is that it's too broad in scope. If they focused on one company as in Band of Brothers they couldn't do Peleilu or Iwo Jima or Okinawa, the series would just be one battle long, most of the characters would be gone because they'd become casualties. By using several characters, spread across a division you can at least maintain a common thread.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 PM   #10
johkaz
Battalion Commander

Hi,

I have also been watching The Pacific here, and i have found it harrowing at times because of the brutality. And i have found that by episode seven, there was no quarter given on either side. But the funniest thing about the whole series, was when the marine went to the toilet in the cave, and ended up 'winning the sack race'

Gary
Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #11
USMCPrice
Mortarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by johkaz";p=&quot View Post
Hi,

I have also been watching The Pacific here, and i have found it harrowing at times because of the brutality. And i have found that by episode seven, there was no quarter given on either side. But the funniest thing about the whole series, was when the marine went to the toilet in the cave, and ended up 'winning the sack race'

Gary
I agree, that was a great scene.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #12
kendalljamie
Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Hellqvist";p=&quot View Post

Contrary to Jamie, I had trouble telling several BoB characters apart after the first viewings, and I know that many others have had similar difficulties, too. There aren't as many characters to keep track of in "The Pacific", but it pays to stay attentive and perhaps visit the character guide on HBO's website. As I said, "The Pacific" is more demanding, and not as easily digested as BoB, but if the remaining episodes manage to keep the momentum, I expect the series to become a minor classic.
This got me thinking. When I watched BoB, I did not have kids. I could sit down and watch an entire episode without interruption. Now I have a 3 year old son, so if I start watching "The Pacific" and my son wakes up, I have to turn it off. As said by some others, it is for mature viewers. I think I should also change my perspective on it, as USMCPrice said. Look at it from the soldiers' points of view, and not from the point of view of an historian. I will definitely watch the entire series over again in the future with a different mindset. I always seem to enjoy films more the second time I watch them anyway.

Jamie
Old 05-04-2010, 01:21 AM   #13
Leatherneck
Brigade Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPrice";p=&quot View Post
....Dude, I can hook you up. Here is a PDF of an interview done with Basilone after Guadalcanal.
http://www.usni.org/magazines/navalh...?STORY_ID=2239

Sid Phillips, Sledge's boyhood friend and served in Leckie's company, he's the Marine that ties the two stories together (Helmet for my Pillow and With the Old Breed). He turned 18 on Guadalcanal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjtLw...eature=channel

Robert Leckie, he and his friends Chuckler, Runner and Hoosier, along with Sid Phillips are the main characters from Guadalcanal to Peleilu.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HTGu...eature=related

Eugene Sledge, Sid Phillips boyhood friend. He and his comrades are the focus of the second half of the series. R.V. Burgin, Snafu Shelton, Lt. Hillbilly Jones, Capt. Hildane, Bill Leyden and Jay De L'eau. I almost forgot Gunny Haney, he fought in WWI at Belleau Wood, one of my favorite characters.
Sledge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GHjg...eature=channel
Burgin (Sledge's Cpl), Bill Leyden also speaks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnHy1...eature=channel

The third story line of the series is Marine Medal of Honor recipient John Basilone. His story spans the series from pre-war to Iwo Jima and interweaves with the two main stories. Characters associated with his story line are Sgt. J.P. Morgan, Manny Rodriguez, Col. Chesty Puller, Chuck Tatum and Steve Evanson.
Basilone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW4rr...eature=channel
Chuck Tatum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2YJC...eature=related

I hope this helps some recognize the characters and the real vets being portrayed...

Thanks for posting this, Bob.

I enjoyed watching the little mini documentaries. If anyone is having trouble keeping the characters straight, they should watch these.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #14
maa
Platoon Leader

My take on this series is that it's a disappointment when compred to BoB. So far the episodes that I've seen, I've not been glued to the screen and wanting to pop in the next DVD (that's right, DVD, I live in HK and HBO is not on my paid service, so I get the DVDs from trips to China).

In BoB, seems to me the writing, casting, and directing moved better. Now it might be said that starting with D-Day is more advantageous versus Guadalcanal, not to slight the importance of GC, but come on .. Operation Overlord -- you're only talking about the highlight of the entire WWII any theater.

But you can't ignore the superior acting in BoB compared to T.P. also. Damien Lewis' Winters you can't help but feel like you're being led by the right man, and you're happy to see him getting promoted and leading his Company and making all the right decisions. And his character was well developed, for example you got to see how he was on leave in Paris, watching the German General addressing the men for the last time, etc. Why it made sense why he was the central character in a story about a band of brothers. Even David Schwimmer was perfecty casted as example of incompetance.

Whereas the guy who plays Basilone .. I've seen him before in minor roles, the most notable being that one character when he played a cancer stricken Native American who finds cure in sacred water, well -- for me this guys is just plain old boring; his characters comes across really really flat. I think he played a cop or something on one of those TV crime series. Was he boring then too ? Wouldn't surprise me. May be he did his research and John Basilone MOH winner was in real life -- an un-animated character who displays calmness above all else -- but damn! I fall asleep in every scene featuring this actor. That scene with him practicing at the golf range and flashing back -- Yawn~! It left me thinking WTF is the writer/director telling me here ? Continuing hitting golf balls till your hands bleed is excellent therapy for treating PTSD in the days before Prozac was available ? His performance can't match even the Native American in "Code Talker" and "Flags", who portrayed range of emotion that registered with the audience.

Another pet peave for me .. the guy who gets laid in Australia on the first night by hitting on that chick by following her onto the street car -- that guy .. not the most handsomest leading man in Hollywood. Again, seen him in "The Departed" in support of Matt Damon, another flat flat flat actor who doesn't stand out in any way in particular. I'm thinking the writing must be based on some Marine's diary or letters. But that guy looking as pale and chalky as he does, drunk, is suppose to impress the panties off of the Aussie chick on the first date in her parents' house ?? Yeah, right. It's a real stretch to believe that for me. I was thinking the whole time in the episode where this dude was at the chick's house and I'm her Greek father .. upon first sight of the dude I'd be like .. get the f### out of my house, now, gringo ! I just have a hard time caring about characters like this one like I did with somebody like Garnier who wants to kill Germans becuz his brother was dead. I spent the whole several episodes hoping to see the mocasin/cigar thief's brains splattered by a Jap sniper, but all I got was a wheel chair.

But my biggest complaint about the T.P, which is symptomatic of sloppy casting that should have been done to perfection like it was in BoB -- the actor who plays Chesty Puller, though he speaks with seemingly convincing Virginian accent -- does not feature a burly barrel chest. May be the costume and make-up departments could have made him a special chesty vest to wear underneath or something. Seems to me they could have found somebody with a closer physique. Why do you think Lewis Puller was nick named "Chesty" for Christ's sake! The casting is atrocious IMO besides weak story and character development. It reminds me of another epic fail (for me) as in the weak ass performances from Benjiman Pratt and James Franco in "The Great Raid".

Anyway, I suppose the series is buildling to a climax on Iwo Jima no doubt, but to be honest, that was already done in "Flags ..", so I doubt Spielberg and Hanks could tell us anything we don't already know from both history books and Clint Eastwood. In fact, it's not really even the preference of most collectors and history buffs for European Theater stories, becuz the Pacific Theater has been done better than "The Pacific" previously in "Thin Red line" and "Flags of Our Fathers". In both earlier films, the acting and story telling grooved togther much better.

There's always a chance I could be judging the series prematurely, and the last 4 episodes will really add up to knock my socks off, but I kinda of doubt that's going to happen. It's like watching a blown-out SUperbowl by the third quarter. I'm simply missing the joy of watching guys who are the equal of Garnier, Spiers, Bull, Doc Roe -- and you can't tell me that in the entire First Marines in the entire Pacific Campaign, that's all there was so far ? No way~! Real history therein was a lot more interesting than what T.P. managed to show so far. I read a book about Chesty and it was full of tons of individual WWII Marine stories. May be, and this is just a thought Misters Spielberg and Hanks -- you guys shoulda made Chesty the main character ?? Huh ?? Good Idea ?? Too late !!!!!

I heard a rumor that Steven Spielberg was interested at one point to make a film about the Flying Tigers. IMO, this series should have been on the AVG instead. 2 cents tho ..
maa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #15
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

Send a message via AIM to johnro6659
I hate to say it but I not even close to being impressed with the series either. I can't get into it at all. In BoB I liked the characters and felt like they were more human (real) than the characters in The Pacific. I really prefer BoB myself I even like BoB better than SPR, another one I was a little disappointed in. I got BoB the DVD set as soon as it was available, the Pacific series is something I'll be passing on for sure. I tried watching the series every chance I got hoping it would get better but to me it seems to fall flat, sometimes I fell asleep during it. I think the actors writing and cinematography were far better and more realistic in BoB. Pacific looks too Hollywood (fake) to me and not realistic like the scenes in BoB. I actually enjoy the History Channels documentaries of the War in the Pacific much more.
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:14 AM   #16
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Funny, I wasn't into the whole pto or cbi theaters of operations during WW2, but love "The Pacific" series, and am contemplating putting together a squad of Marines now because of the series lol Don't know a lot about the historical aspect of the show, but love it!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:38 AM   #17
M37M880
Company Commander

Episode Nine was awesome TV. Sledge's realistic descriptions of Pacific battles are gut wrenching. His book is combat at it's toughest and what those Marines went through is just awful. And to think these were 17 to 19 years old. Wow.

I'm not crazy about most of the actors but Spielberg/Hanks drew us into the stories with realistic battle scenes and excellent characterizations of the three main characters (Basilone, Sledge and Leckie).

TTT
Old 05-16-2010, 07:16 PM   #18
USMCPrice
Mortarman

Pangaea95, I'm glad you like the series. I think it is extremely well done. As for the historical aspect, it follows very closely the books by Sledge, Leckie and Tatum. Some scenes are actually a little less graphic than Sledge described them but I'm not really sure they could do them full justice and have a program acceptible for the general population. So far, the romance with Leckie and the Greek chick is the only thing I know of that's not historically accurate, and it was more intended to be a composite of the encounters the Marines had with Australians than to portray a specific incident.

M37M880, I agree the Okinawa episode was great. I don't know if I agree that the choice of actors was not optimal, especially the guy that plays Sledge. His performance in the three Peleilu episodes was great. Prior to the landing he was a bright eyed young man. By the time he left Peleilu his eyes looked dead and lifeless. The look he gave the Lt. when they were getting the juice from the Red Cross women upon their arrival back at Pavuvu was incredible. The dude playing Snafu is great. The guy playing Capt. Haldane did an excellent job, you can see why his men idolized him. The guy playing the old WWI Marine Gunny, Gunny Haney, nails his performance. The guy playing Basilone does a much better job than people credit him with. I don't know what many expected but his character comes across as the way many people that knew him have described Basilone's personality. The guy portraying Leckie gives a more subdued performance. The real Leckie was highly intelligent and was a deep thinker. His real life personality was conflicted and he did think on a more philosophical level. He was tormented and really did almost lose his mind. I think if you go back and watch the looks the actor expresses at certain times he really is portraying what was going on with Leckie at that particular time.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #19
M37M880
Company Commander

USMC - I agree with you on the section where Sledge gives the look to the Lt., Perfectly fitting the situation. "Donut Dollies" were hard to take because officers were always around to see that that the "animal" enlisted men do not insult/rape/kill the Dollies.

I ran into them in Korea and VN. Even the really nice ones were "officer meat" and rarely were really interested in enlisted men. My opinion? they were there to find an officer husband. Exceptions? Sure, but officers can easily be hated by their attitude.

In VN, over 1,000 officers were "fragged" for all kinds of insults/refused orders/improper (perceived) orders. Who know how many officers were killed in WW2?

TTT
Old 05-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #20
pomz99
Company Commander

I like this series, and I also agree with USMCPrice.
Yesterday there was a mini marathon of the Pacific from episode 1 through 5. It was very enjoyable to watch it in sequence, it was much easier to follow the story of each of the 4 characters, Leckie, Phillips, Basilone and Sledge.
And tonight its another marathon, from episode 6 to 10, the finale where they go home to family and love ones.
I'll have to get the books and then some of the new marines figs.
So far I've got Lewis Wilson hs - looks a bit like Leckie I thought.
Waiting for etailers to part out Eric Stark hs - looks like Sledgehammer.
pomz99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 04:42 PM   #21
M37M880
Company Commander

So, it's over. An excellent wrap up of the series despite "Hollywood" type changes to real life to make the endings fit nice and neat.

A good series, I'll see again. I've read two books on Basilone since the series started, have read Sledge's book last summer and have Leckie's book ready for reading. The series just draws you in.....

TTT
Old 05-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
inxsone
Brigade Commander & Mod

Quote:
The series just draws you in.....
I really wish I'd had that experience but alas I just didn't...
It was good to me, not great but everyone has their own perspectives so others have the reverse opinion...
I guess I just kept expecting something different and personally just didn't see it... I am glad though that others TRULY enjoyed it, maybe it'll keep "Hollywood" on track to attempt more such endeavors in the future...
Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 PM   #23
Wally
Rifleman

Mortarman,

What two books on Basilone did you read? Would you recommend either of them?
Thanks,
Wally
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 AM   #24
Leatherneck
Brigade Commander

I've been following this thread with interest. I don't have HBO, and don't want to watch the series on my PC, so I'm waiting for the DVD to come out.

From the clips that I have seen, I suspect that I will like it. I think it will be easier to enjoy when you are already very familiar with the history, though.

Believe it or not, I found the dissenting opinions just as interesting as the comments in favor of the series, so I'm interested to see if I agree or not.

As far as the Band of Brothers comparisons go, I'll through this out for consideration: I started to enjoy speaking German when I quit being annoyed that it wasn't like English.

...now I hope they release the DVD's soon.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:19 AM   #25
M37M880
Company Commander

The two Basilone books I read were:

"I'm Staying With My Boys: The Heroic Life of Sgt. John Basilone" by Jerry Cutter and Jim Proser

I would not recommend this book. Jerry Cutter is John Basilone's nephew and Proser is a professional writer. The book is based primarily on a series of long newspaper articles written by and personal recollections of John Basilone's sister (Cutter's Mother). Basisone's sister tried to stretch their "15 minutes of fame" during and after WW2. The recollections are not solely based of fact and the authors have admitted that when they got stuck in their book, they "just made stuff up".

"Hero of the Pacific: The Life of Marine Legend John Basilone" by James Brady is a much better book. He researched the book with sources and compiles all the sources, even the other books on Basilone. He disects the important events in Basilone and makes a good attempt to separate facts from fiction.

I would highly recommend Brady's book.

Basilone was a reticent kind of guy and the fact that he did not survive to write his own experiences makes it difficult to separate the man from the legend.

TTT
Old 05-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #26
B Hellqvist
Company Commander

I watched the last episode a couple of nights ago, and it was a fitting ending to the series, wrapping it up nicely. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: this is a series for the more mature viewer. It is more grim and morally ambigious than BoB, and there are scenes that will stay with you for a long time. The series will probably work better when viewed a few episodes a time, instead of being dished out once every week.
Old 05-20-2010, 01:27 AM   #27
Leatherneck
Brigade Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by M37M880";p=&quot View Post
The two Basilone books I read were:

"I'm Staying With My Boys: The Heroic Life of Sgt. John Basilone" by Jerry Cutter and Jim Proser

I would not recommend this book. Jerry Cutter is John Basilone's nephew and Proser is a professional writer. The book is based primarily on a series of long newspaper articles written by and personal recollections of John Basilone's sister (Cutter's Mother). Basisone's sister tried to stretch their "15 minutes of fame" during and after WW2. The recollections are not solely based of fact and the authors have admitted that when they got stuck in their book, they "just made stuff up".

"Hero of the Pacific: The Life of Marine Legend John Basilone" by James Brady is a much better book. He researched the book with sources and compiles all the sources, even the other books on Basilone. He disects the important events in Basilone and makes a good attempt to separate facts from fiction.

I would highly recommend Brady's book.

Basilone was a reticent kind of guy and the fact that he did not survive to write his own experiences makes it difficult to separate the man from the legend.

TTT
Cr@p! - I knew I should have bought Brady's book. I just got I'm Staying with My Boys in the mail. I was paging through it and noticed that the authors claimed that a well-known picture of a machine gun team on the Piva trail in Bougainville was from Guadalcanal. That already had my BS meter crackling.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:28 AM   #28
maa
Platoon Leader

I can't put my finger on what it is about this series that makes it a disappointment to me. It might be from the production side. I'm sure real Marine bio's from each of the main characters are fascinating reads, but as said I found weaknesses in the casting of the series. I just watched the parts with John Seda and James Badge Dale, and my opinion of them is reaffirmed. Both these actors seriously lack charisma, as elusive a character as that is to qualify and quantify. Whatever "it" is -- these guys don't have "it". Damien Lewis, on the other hand, went on to star in "Life" for two seasons after BoB. For me from a pure television entertainment perspective, this series was not as enjoyable as BoB. Now if the two series were not produced by Spielberg & Hanks, then the comparason would be askewed. IMHO, they just set a standard that was hard to follow. May be they should have made "The Pacific" first.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #29
M37M880
Company Commander

As has been said before BOB and The Pacific were about, in effect two different wars.

BOB had men trained for two years and in combat for 10 months. Fierce combat but if (on either side) you surrendered you were assured of a certain type of POW treatment.

The Pacific covered three years, with long periods of rest and training and each man went into three island battles (at the most) that would last a few months, for each battle. Nasty, horrific, no surrender battles. Atrocities were common on both sides. Feelings were fierce on both sides. You were assured that if you surrendered, you would be treated badly.

Two different wars.

As to the actors, the only one I liked was John Seda as Basilone. My 2 cents...

TTT
Old 05-22-2010, 01:12 AM   #30
USMCPrice
Mortarman

M37M880
I liked Seda as Basilone also.
What was your opinion of the actors that portrayed Sledge, Snafu and Capt. Haldane? I thought each nailed the person they were trying to portray. The actor that portrayed Snafu has apparently aquired quite a following.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:13 AM   #31
maa
Platoon Leader

I've got no bones to pick with the other actors. I thought Ack Ack (?) was a convincing character. So was the kid Eugene. I didn't think William Sadler looked too similar to Chesty, and Chesty is one of those icons from WWII like MacArthur, Ike, and Patton. Everyone knows what those men looked like.

Jon Seda and James Badge Dale played two characters the series spent a lot of time on within the first 4 episodes, and for me that's where the series lost me.

I've seen both actors previously, including Seda in the early 1990's when he played opposite Woody Harrelson in an indie film. He's actually Puerto Rican also. To me that says something about the casting right there, as anyone can guess if they weren't familiar with MOH winner Basilone was Italian-American. Brings the question were they freash out of mid to late 20's yro Italian-Am actors in Hollywood ?

The problem I had with James Badge Dale I really felt during the scenes where the Greek-Australian family took to him. It's just a personal thing. I'm thinking .. nah, it wouldn't have gone as well as it did for this guy. May be the exact story was partially based on Leckie's bio, but it felt not real to me in that I'm thinking -- there's no way these people warm up to him like that. I've seen a photo of Robert Leckie and IMO they do not look similar.

AFAIC actors like all artists come in different shapes & sizes. Some are dynamic, others are kind of average, still some can't act. Actors can stir up emotions in an audience saying nothing but just appearing on screen. In me, these two didn't stir up feelings of admiration but rather agitation. But they were playing extraordinary men. That's where they went flat instead of standing out.

So, IMO different casting with stronger actors in those 2 lead roles would make a difference. And that's just my 2 cents.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #32
B Hellqvist
Company Commander

Considering that BoB had a lot of Brit actors playing Americans, I don't think Jon Seda's origins have any relevance... Rami Malek who played the Cajun Snafu is American-Egyptian, and I've heard no complaints about him.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #33
Wehrmachtoberst
Rifleman

Well I watched it all. Every last episode. I even got HBO just for that reason. Overall, it was ok. It was nothing like Band of Brothers, nothing at all and I think that was the main problem, I went in thinking it was ghonna be another version. I LOVED the combat scenes, BUT it seemed that there were more non-combat scenes than anything. By non -combat I mean, away from the fighting. To me it was liek a ten part version of Pearl Harbor. I just really did not get into it all that much. It was like someone else said, it did not draw you in.

I have already downloaded it and will burn it and watch it again. Hopefully it will stick to me, but I am not holdng my breath....
Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 AM   #34
maa
Platoon Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Hellqvist";p=&quot View Post
Considering that BoB had a lot of Brit actors playing Americans, I don't think Jon Seda's origins have any relevance... Rami Malek who played the Cajun Snafu is American-Egyptian, and I've heard no complaints about him.
Well, nobody would probably complain if Simo Häyhä was played by a Swede. Some might say, ah .. close enough. I suppose to most a Puerto Rican can play Italian, though I would say Ricky Martin, Freddie Prince, jr would be more apt than say Marc Anthony or Jimmy Smits, right ?

Since we're just talking about TV entertainment and making our personal comments, why not take it a step further ... I'll ask myself, hey .. who would you have casted instead ? Any thoughts ?? Yup, I'd imagine if I were a producer type in Hollywood, here's who I would cast:

Adrien Grenier as Basilone. This actor would liven up the character. He's on another HBO series. Toby Macguire free from the Spiderman franchise now, makes a much more appealing Leckie. Most are familiar with the calibur of their acting skills. These two in place of the two that were actually in. Think about it ..
Old 05-29-2010, 12:56 AM   #35
USMCPrice
Mortarman

Quote:
Joe Mazzello's emotionally haunting performance as Marine Eugene Sledge on "The Pacific" clearly had an impact on Sledge's real-life family.

Sledge's wife Jeanne was so touched by Mazzello's characterization in the just-concluded HBO series that she sent a special gift to the actor -- her late husband's pipe.

"She was so moved she actually sent Eugene's actual pipe he had his whole life," Mazzello tells PopcornBiz. This is the same pipe that is represented throughout the series by the soldier seeking calm amidst the horrors of war.
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/blogs/pop...-94277339.html