Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 01-21-2021, 08:41 PM   #1
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

End of an Era, my hosted images will go dark 2/28/21

Got notice a couple of days ago that the site I used to host my images in all forums, Picturetrail, will be no more at the end of February.
I have been posting my images with them since 2004 and have a total of 12,783 images hosted with them. Not all were hot linked to posts in these forums, but all the images in the forums are hosted with them.
Before that I had used Clubphoto from 2002 to 2004 and when that went dark it was a nuissance.
I was able to get all my images from them, and I had most of them posted in various places after a fearsome ramsonware attack five years ago last week, in which I lost about 40,000 files including spread sheets, photos, reference files etc.
I knew this was coming as who hosts images any longer. Who orders prnts from these outfits? (Which was one of the original income producing services of these platforms) Everything in online and now without hosting and posting on facebook being so much easier(no need to reduce the images or host them) it will make no sense to post in forums like this one.
Do you guys remember the maniac in the UK forum, he would delete a post if an image was 1 pixel over 600x800! jajajajaja! And of course he would delete apost just because he felt like it too! Oh my, getting old.
I will still be coming by as long as this place exists.
If anyone wants to download or save any of my images for your own use or for whatever, you can visit my Picturetrail accounts.
There are three different accounts

www.Picturetrail.com
in the "member name" box, put my name as shown below:

egonzinc
egonzinc2
egonzinc3

more or less chronological, so the oldest are in the egonzinc and so on...

This service was not cheap, but I bet I was the only madman still paying for the hosting of my images.

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #2
Squidley
Company Commander

Re: End of an Era, my hosted images will go dark 2/28/21

Good lord! I've loved watching your dios over the years. It's beyond sad to see all this stuff go. Thanks for giving us a chance to capture some of it.

Honestly, I have no idea where to start....
Old 01-22-2021, 06:04 PM   #3
tankfan0720
Mortarman

Hi Eduardo,
I for one will be saving some of those images! So much work! Hopefully you saved them all to your hard drive! I found my "Barkmann" figure photos! I still have him, and hope to build a proper Panther A for him soon. Image hosting is a definite pain and may be a thing of the past. We've all benefited from your years of incredible work and effort. Hopefully this SAG site can stay up at least - I hate trying to find stuff on FB.
Hope you are well, best regards,
Bob
tankfan0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 06:31 PM   #4
fusilier1944
Company Commander

Truly an end of an era. I’ll miss the photos of your amazing backyard. The landscaping is perfect for diorama purposes.

After the photobucket fiasco, I switched to postimages.org. I actually found that service through a different forum that had it built in. So far it works. I haven’t found out the price of “free” yet.
fusilier1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 08:29 PM   #5
Pangaea95
Site Admin

Wow what a shame, well you’re not the only one to have maintained photo hosting all these years, I still have my pBase account I pay for yearly since 2003, and recently my photobucket account went dark as they started charging just way too much. Your photo’s have been a rich source of inspiration for all, and your dio’s just amazing, def the end of an era....but hopefully the start of a new
Old 01-23-2021, 06:48 AM   #6
Ostfront43
Mortarman

I to am in the same predicament as Eduardo. I don't have near the number of photos he has. But still will be losing the Picturetrail hosted photos posted here, and other forums. And I was paying for their services also. I don't go to social media places. Not sure where to go for photo hosting now. I still have my original photos, so there that at least.
I will miss looking at your work Eduardo, it was/is a great inspiration.

Last edited by Ostfront43; 01-23-2021 at 07:00 AM.
Ostfront43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
egonzinc
Brigade Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankfan0720 View Post
Hi Eduardo,
I for one will be saving some of those images! So much work! Hopefully you saved them all to your hard drive! I found my "Barkmann" figure photos! I still have him, and hope to build a proper Panther A for him soon. Image hosting is a definite pain and may be a thing of the past. We've all benefited from your years of incredible work and effort. Hopefully this SAG site can stay up at least - I hate trying to find stuff on FB.
Hope you are well, best regards,
Bob
That is great! I had forgotten where that figure had gone. I have done very little commission work as I always tried to avoid making my hobbies feel like work.
But when it is a project that inspired me, like Barkmann, it was part of the fun. Never got around of building one for me. I still remember all the combinations.

And to all that have posted here, deep thanks for your words.
This forum and 1/6 community is my favorite of all. This is an amazing place.
If you don't visit facebook, you should give it a try. It is easy to post. You can set up a separate page , mine is "egonzinc 1/6" and I have there a lot of my old projects and all my new stuff. I had slowed down to a trickle, but the Pandemic has "re-ignited the flame". Never at the hectic pace of 2002-2012, but productive.
I'm lucky that I have plenty of projects to keep me busy. And lucky I always would get the parts at the same time, getting those now would be all but impossible.
My yard is better than ever. Wish I had more energy to do big set ups...
As I say often...
QUE SIGA LA FIESTA!

www.egonzinc.com
egonzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:58 PM   #8
Hammer's Africaners
First Sergeant

Some good memories in those photos.
Thanks for always posting your work, it has always been an inspiratrion and motivator for me.

It sucked when photo bucket changed the way they did things. I think they would still have made good money if they only charged everyone 2-3 dollars a year. But the constantly change there rules,

Once again it was very enjoyable looking through all those photos. Hopefully you have them backed up on the small camera disks.

Hammer
Old 01-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #9
thetoysurgeon
Battalion Commander

Eduardo, I am faced with the same thing. I guess its time to print them all and make catalogues.
Old 02-01-2021, 12:20 PM   #10
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Bummer on the pics.
I guess I must be old as I still use Photobucket, and pay $7.99 a month to keep mine posted.
I downloaded one album, but at the size of all of my pics, way too many to download all my pics.
You are an inspiration through the years Eduardo, best to you in whatever you do.

Cheers

Jeff
Reef12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 10:37 PM   #11
Panzercommander HOH
Battalion Commander

This truly sucks, Eduardo! I'm very sorry to hear it!

This nonsense all started in 2016 with Photobucket... ugh... end of an era, indeed!

¡Que siga la fiesta!

- Fred

The SSCC on Facebook
Panzercommander HOH is offline   Reply With Quote