Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 08-21-2018, 06:17 AM   #1
SpykerWorkshop
Rifleman

1/6 Scale Sherman T48 Tracks - Delrin Injection Molded - Spyker Workshop

Hey everyone Ryan from Spyker Workshop here, I have been hard at work on a new set of molds for the 1/6 Scale Sherman Tank. The molds are for the T48 style tracks. I will be producing kits for sale for these once I get everything finished. They will be injection molded in Dupont Acetal Delrin which is a ridiculously strong material! I'm cutting all the molds on my CNC mill, and injection molding them all myself in house.

The track pad is made up of 2 pieces to make it hollow, light-weight and easy to mold. The 2 pieces are held together by the same screws that are used to pin the links together. I will be using 4-40 sized button head hex screws in black oxide stainless steel, so they will not rust, and they will look SUPER scale!

I designed a really unique "pin puller" device on my injection machine that draws pins out of the mold after injection to create all the holes in the track pad ready to be screwed in. However the end-connectors holes have to be enlarged with a 1/8" drill bit. I will be including a 3d printed jig that aids in holding the connectors in place while you drill them. (OR option to buy fully assembled RTR tracks from us)

I have one of the molds done right now and just finished doing the first injection run of 800 end connectors (enough for about 2 tanks worth)

The advantages my tracks will have:
- 100% water and rust proof
- Extremely light weight (hollow track pads) (Will not require as much motor power or battery life to drive around)
- STRONG! Delrin is an extremely durable material normally used in gears and bushing
- High detail fully captured in the molds including the wedge, gap, screw and nut!
- Button head hex screws look extremely to scale while providing a strong adjustable connection

What do you think about these?

My website here: https://spykerworkshop.com

I have done another 1/6th scale track here: https://spykerworkshop.com/shop/6sca.../halftrackkit/
SpykerWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 01:27 AM   #2
Rolling Thunder Tech
Company Commander

Re: 1/6 Scale Sherman T48 Tracks - Delrin Injection Molded - Spyker Workshop

Fantastic work, will you have a drive sprocket that will mate with the track links?

Leonard
RTT
Rolling Thunder Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #3
SpykerWorkshop
Rifleman

I've been designing these for the Dragon Sherman 1/6 sprocket. I have another running thread on this that has alot more posts going on here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...l#post12456554
Old 08-23-2018, 04:19 AM   #4
loic
Mortarman

Ryan,

I have to be "careful" in my post as I'm a vendor as well and I admire any attempt to upgrade the Dragon 1/6th Sherman tank

But FOA has spent 4 years upgrading the static 1/6th scale Dragon static Sherman to RC standard... and it's a LONG process

1. This Delrin product is very interesting. I have a FULLY BUILT RC tank in the warehouse, and I'd LOVE to test your end-connectors. I am a Chemical Engineer, not a structural or Mechanical engineer, but I believe that the 'name of the game' is tensile strength.

2. I look at the track pad design, and I'm not convinced it will work. But I'd love to be wrong. I naively tried Dragon plastic pads in the early days of FOA RC attempts... it was not pretty

3. The static Dragon kit is about 30 lbs, but when you put a motorization in it, a full metal suspension, all the electronic controls, two 12V batteries to run at 24V... the tank is about 120 lbs. Armortek is about 220 lbs. Light weight is good, but strength is also important.

4. Using the Dragon plastic sprocket? FOA designed a metal 12g steel sprocket. I doubt the PE sprocket will move or turn a 120-lbs tank. The FOA sprocket has an aluminum hub with a keyway.

5. FOA has finally received the die-cast aluminum end-connectors from China with steel plate inserts for the track pads. That's why we have a tank ready to run in the shop. We are testing this tank by the end of the week http://www.fieldofarmortanks.com/foa011rc-903s-1-6-160-t48-tracks-for-sherman-tank/

Please contact me as I'd LOVE to test the Delrin products. Maybe we could help each other

Cheers from Utah,
Loic
Old 08-28-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
SpykerWorkshop
Rifleman

I've been hard at work on the track pad mold, I actually had to re-cut the entire mold a second time to fix some issues I ran into (the part not ejecting from the mold properly) I also changed to only mold the track pads, and the top cover plates I ended up 3d printing and they turned out great!

So I made a video showing off the aspects of the tracks and starting at 21:08 in the video I do some INSANE stress tests... It basically took ~450lbs to break the track check the end of the vid out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zrjO0A6Zfk

Custom sprocket from my friend, I will be doing my own sprocket upgrade soon, shows the mesh is PERFECT!

Last edited by SpykerWorkshop; 08-28-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:24 AM   #6
SpykerWorkshop
Rifleman

I'm close to getting the tracks and suspension upgrades out for sale, I came up with prices for them. (still working on idler and drive-train upgrades)
3D Printed Suspension Upgrade: $250
Delrin Tracks KIT (requires assembly): $645
Delrin Tracks RTR (assembled & ready to install): $1155

I got a suspension unit fully operational and man is it NICE! Every moving part has a bushing on it which makes is super smooth. I used 3d printed parts and tried to make them as scale as possible while still making them as strong as possible. All the visible stuff looks realistic but hidden behind I added lots of extra material and thickness to make them stronger. Everything is printed in ABS and easily sanded and painted. I didn't do any sanding to these parts. The inside uses 1" diameter springs that rest inside the stock spring so you can't even tell it has springs inside it. It is a pretty hard spring so if you want softer suspension you can simply cut a few turns off. Each suspension set (2 wheels) takes about 16lbs to start moving, and bottoms out at about 30lbs (the arms straight across) My scale only goes up to 110lbs and I was able to put them much force on these without them breaking or anything happening, so with stronger springs you could go with even more weight. This means with the stock springs it can hold up a 100lb tank. Would take around 180lbs to fully compress all the suspension. This is all only using ABS printed parts and some hardware. Also put bushing in the wheels. I will be making a video tomorrow on them!

The springs are 100% hidden from view, SO COOL!

These posts help guide the springs so they don't twist inside when the wheels are taking un-even travel

Old 08-31-2018, 11:10 AM   #7
SpykerWorkshop
Rifleman

Some CAD on the drive shaft upgrade, one big printed part glued into the hull. Inside there will be mounted a printed pulley and a belt that comes out to a motor that is mounted on a different part of the tank. Using a 3/8" hex shaft the sprocket will be locked in place very solidly since the ends of the hex shaft are tapped and use a screw to pull the whole assembly together. I used this same setup on a smaller scale in my Spyker KAT and 1/16th Scorpion tank. The shaft is extra long and will have some spacers you can move around to make the sprocket stick out from the hull the exact amount you need. More pics to come soon...

Old 09-01-2018, 09:33 PM   #8
SpykerWorkshop
Rifleman

New vid of how to assemble the suspension and their performance towards the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl1WNL8rKjg
Old 09-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #9
SpykerWorkshop
Rifleman

I will be doing a whole structural support kit also for inside the hull, with giant 3d printed "ribs" on my big 24x24" printer. Most likely be screwed in place up from under the tank and walls. Starting those soon. Those same ribs should be able to reinforce the suspension also.

I got the driveshafts mounted in the hull, they are so SMOOTH and strong. one printed part holds both bearings so its easier to install without having to line up as much stuff. Still working on the motor mounts, those will probably be integrated into one of the structural ribs, or maybe just glued onto the floor not sure yet.

This uses the stock sprockets with a printed hub in the middle (to fix the error in width in the kit) I don't find it necessary at all to have the sprockets metal, just like timing pulleys there are so many teeth engaged you would have to break like 12 teeth at once for it to fail, the only part that I see needs to have strength is the shaft connection point to transmit the power. The shafts are 3/8" hex standoffs that are threaded on both ends, the printed parts have the hex shape printed into them and when each end is screwed together everything gets sandwiched together, it makes a ridiculously strong connection.

I use the exact same setup on my Spyker KAT and Scorpion. My Spyker KAT uses a smaller 1/4" hex shaft and has a 3d printed sprocket and I've never had the teeth on that fail even after all this abuse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM9s2dP6_j8
Old 09-09-2018, 06:56 PM   #10
Panzercommander HOH
Battalion Commander

This is insanely awesome!

Great thread, Spyker! All the best on your builds!

Fred

The SSCC on Facebook
Panzercommander HOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #11
Jäger353
Rifleman

Hello!

Very great work !!!!

Greetings from Germany

Jäger353
Jäger353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:18 PM   #12
SpykerWorkshop
Rifleman

I got a video of the tank running around outside up now! It worked great, check it out and what do you all think? It has 2 different pulley sets to choose from, in the video its running the high torque slow speed pulley set. The slow sets recommended for upper hull stuff weighing around 10-20lbs. Fast pulley sets for upper hull weight under 10lbs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb7bw8iMJFY

Old 09-11-2018, 04:45 PM   #13
Squidley
Company Commander

That's really amazing! Good thing you've got so much varied terrain in your yard. How much does the rig weigh? Those batteries seem really small & light.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:06 AM   #14
Sixth Vanguard
Board Flunky, aka Site Admin

Great job
Sixth Vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #15
SpykerWorkshop
Rifleman

I just got the gun elevation/recoil kit video made and product listed on my store! This completes the whole Sherman upgrade set now.
https://spykerworkshop.com/product-tag/1-6sherman/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSw3agR5Ooo

Old 09-24-2018, 09:41 PM   #16
SpykerWorkshop
Rifleman

Just uploaded the final running video on all the upgrades, woo! All upgrades shown in the video can be bought here from our store: https://spykerworkshop.com/product-tag/1-6sherman/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBjYdfpH_dU
Old 09-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #17
BarryC
Rifleman

Awesome Ryan!

I'm getting real excited, can't wait to get started on converting mine.

Barry
BarryC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:10 AM   #18
SpykerWorkshop
Rifleman

20% Off Summer sale on all 1/6th Sherman upgrade products including the Delrin injection molded tracks! Check them out here!
Old 05-28-2019, 12:07 AM   #19
siquisiri
Sniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpykerWorkshop View Post
20% Off Summer sale on all 1/6th Sherman upgrade products including the Delrin injection molded tracks! Check them out here!
This looks AMAZING!!
Old 07-10-2019, 11:29 PM   #20
Reef12
Battalion Commander

Nice work so what happened to it?

Okay I see it now.
Reef12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #21
SpykerWorkshop
Rifleman

Permanent price reductions on the Delrin tracks KIT and RTR for the Dragon Sherman 1/6th!
KIT was $740 NOW $500!
RTR was $1295 NOW $1050!

Tags
1/6, sherman, sherman tracks, t48, tracks