Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > General Quarters

General Quarters General 1:6 WWII Discussion Forum

Old 12-26-2005, 03:40 PM   #1
irish70
Mortarman

is your hobby a secret ?

does anyone know of your hobby[besides wife/girlfriend/etc] or do you keep it low key to avoid the stigma of collecting dolls or even nazis.i have to say my wife off course knows and my new england 1/6th friends know of course,tony and his staff [tonys toys] but that is it. i work in e.m.s. and i know id get eaten alive if anyone knew of my passion for man-dolls.
irish70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #2
Reizbar
Battalion Commander

I look at it like any other hobby. I'm proud of the work that I do on my figures/vehicles and there's usually at least one thing displayed prominently on my desk at work. Every once in awhile some idiot will walk by and poke fun, but most people stop and ask where I got it, etc. After the Christmas break, I'll be taking my Panzerwerk house section to work so I can display it for a few months.

There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
Reizbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 03:57 PM   #3
eddiemcgarrigle
Rifleman

I don't think there's anyone who doesn't know I collect 'dolls'. Lots of jibes from the workmates but otherwise accepted as a hobby by everyone else.

The jibes from the workmates don't bother me one bit as it's all well natured. Working as a firefighter, any excuse to have a laugh helps lighten the mood. They even presented me with a Barbie one year but when I took in a Cy-Girl figure dressed in all the nice lingerie that is available, they all wanted one. Checkmate, me thinks.

Eddie

"Wha's like us? Damn few and they're a' died"
eddiemcgarrigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 05:44 PM   #4
geppetto2
Platoon Leader

I don't worry too much about what people think of my hobby. I don't go out and fluant it but if someone asks why I want that scrap piece of foam or wood, I tell them it's for a dio piece that I make for my 1/6 figures. It is actually tougher to explain what they are to someone than the efforts worth. They aren't toys but they are....meaning I wouldn't give a Dragon for my son (5) to play with but he does have them. I think that if we all come out of the 1/6 closet and educate some people than we might get some interested folks into the fold. Or not

Jeff (Geppetto)
geppetto2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:08 PM   #5
Sturmpionier_Wiking
Sniper

Hah well some people look at them and think what the hell is this? But I approach it from a plastic model aspect, I mean you can collect tanks, airplanes, or 1/6 scale troops; there is really no difference at all. I have a big shelf full of 1/6, 1/32, 1/72 etc. etc. and I am quite proud of my work. I think people might be worried if I had ten different 1/6 Hitlers or something like that!
Sturmpionier_Wiking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 06:20 PM   #6
panzerwerk
Division Commander

mine's a well keep secret ssssssssshhhhhhh!
Old 12-26-2005, 06:38 PM   #7
Speerz
Platoon Leader

For me, my family knows and they support that. They encourage me to keep going at it, as it's something educational, fun, and they like to see me work and accomplish something. The only people that don't know my secret would be my friends from school I'm sure if anyone finds out, the whole school would be on top of me, lol. I'm sure when they're older they'll find out =P
Speerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
Die Werkstatt
Company Commander

Well, depends on the person I guess. I happened to have the DAK 250 at
the sign shop sitting on my desk and some of my customers could see it from the front shop. 2 of them were modelers and the imediately went past the front counter and had to have a look but that was an exception, I don't intesionally try to hide what I do but to some folks (the jewish folks I know) I don't really bring it out in the open as it may cause hard feelings. For the most part outside of work I don't care what folks think of me so the stuff is not hidden in my house. I use the "well these go with my RC tanks" explanation for the most part.
Old 12-26-2005, 07:19 PM   #9
exether_mega
Mortarman

Nothing to hide !
Beside my family (and a very supportive wife), all know about my 1/6 hobby. As I started with military modeling from my early years and still have great interest in military modeling, collecting 1/6 stuff is a normal evolution.
I don't know if my grand parents had loved to see me collecting some german figures but History is now history... and collecting german figures is by no means an approval of nazism.

Take care.

phil
exether_mega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 07:21 PM   #10
1928 Thompson
Rifleman

I show my collection with pride. The women think it's really interesting, and some of the guys poke at me sometimes, but in the end they all think it's pretty cool. My friend Ed alwas gets on me about how my number of Germans outweighs the number of Americans I have, but he's still intrigued by the detail I put into it...
1928 Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 08:07 PM   #11
ollygolf
Rifleman

I don't mind showing friends. After all if they think I am a kook, or silly and think I am strange because of it, then they just don't know me and aren't really friends are they. The hobby has been quite a refuge in a stressful time of life, its been good for me, though perhaps I've spent a bit more time on it than I should. But basically, the family is supportive, and beyond that, I don't care what anyone thinks.
ollygolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 10:07 PM   #12
Threetoughtrucks
Tanker

No secret here. I have vehicles all over the house, starting at my enclosed front porch where anyone ringing my bell sees them and they either are in awe of them or they just keep what they are thinking to themselves.

I'm a big guy and I drive either an Army truck of my antique Electra and that might have something to do with it. I do tend to intimate the people who don't know I'm just a big, hairy kittycat.

My dollies are all over, only around the holidays does my dolly collection shrink in the areas where we have guests, but that is more because I don't want crumbsnatchers to be tempted. Only adults are allowed in my basement bunker. I also push 1/6 and 1/18 whenever I get the opertunity to do so.

TTT
Old 12-26-2005, 10:30 PM   #13
Sparky
Platoon Leader

The guys in my company have been watching me build 1/6th vehicles from the time that I glued the first 2 pieces of Styrene together. And I found out that 2 of my 20something In-Laws collect Modern/Villian figures and kept it a secret till I caught them at Tony's. Now we openly talk about our collections at family funtions.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:53 PM   #14
Hetzer118
Rifleman

Send a message via AIM to Hetzer118
I keep a pretty low profile, my family all knows, and just tends to roll their eyes in my general direction. At a family event last year, an old freind of my Grandfather found the hobby a little disocncerning and decided that I was obviously in cahoots with the forces of evil.

I don't really tell freinds about the hobby, I mention I build plastic models, and they usually find it normal, none of them have ever seen my workshop in its unclean form, with nudies all over, and decapitated heads half-painted on pikes.

I usually explain the hobby to freinds who ask by showing them the OSW and SAG, and then the workshop. I find that females, other people with collections, modelers, and people with other strange secret hobbies tend to react best to the collection. One freind I showed the collection to (one of the most "macho" of my freinds) explained that he had secretly collected beanie-babies for years (e had damn near 500 of them)!

On an interesting note, I've heard more than a few girls mention that "GI joe collecting" is a plus, because it shows they are comfortable with who they are and still have a bit of child in them. So maybe 1/6th collecting does have it social gains somewhere lol.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:31 AM   #15
JTFazz
Company Commander

Old 12-27-2005, 12:40 AM   #16
irish70
Mortarman

some interesting replies. but im still keeping my man dollies a secret.
irish70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:23 AM   #17
totenkopf45
Rifleman

I'm call the nazi by my coworkers because i collect german soldiers. But i don't care anyway, it's my hobby not theirs. And i've been told by them that jewish groups would probably like to beat me to death with a stick if they knew me.
totenkopf45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 01:29 AM   #18
mp1stshirt
Company Commander

Ya know, I don't really care what other people might think of my hobby. To me it is just a natural progression from rubber soldiers, plastic trucks and models. The hobby interests me and that is good enough for me. My wife doesn't really get it but she puts up with it and supports me at Christmas and birthdays, which I am very grateful for. Those who know me or have met me know I'm not a nerd or pansey boy but rather very dedicated to those things that interest me. Of all my many interests this is the one I put most of my time and money in to. I will never hide it or be ashamed of it, it is part of who I am.

Bob
Old 12-27-2005, 02:53 AM   #19
inxsone
Brigade Commander & Mod

Never had a problem with anyone knowing or seeing it... I usually get an amazed exclaimation whenever someone new drops by
Old 12-27-2005, 03:13 AM   #20
Bullottawa
Sniper

I'm among the closet 1/6'ers. My wife is very cool with it and finds it somewhat interesting. I think my brothers would give me a very hard time, but since I won't be telling them I guess I'll never know for sure. The local guys here in my town and all the people I've met through the various boards goes a long way to convincing me that this is just another hobby. (but you don't know my brothers)
Bullottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 04:06 AM   #21
jimcorrigan
Rifleman

With the negative stigmas regarding handguns in my locale I got used to getting pissed on for my preferences a long time ago. BTW, the leading party in the next election will likely ban handguns if that gives you a sense what people think of the subject. Sorry for the OT reference but having grown up in this type of culture, I really don't care what most people believe about my hobbies (this being one of them) and the people I associate within them (ie. the 'crazies'). There will be exceptions though - as a result, I often keep something on display to show my interests so it won't be such a shock.

Pulled this little tidbit out a box last week and set it up in a corner of my home office - a bit of a work in progress...

Bottom line - whatever your hobby is, enjoy it as much as you can. If you don't chances are someone else will end up choosing it for you.

jim.
jimcorrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 06:27 AM   #22
gibri
Rifleman

This is an interesting topic. I'm with you fellow closet dwellers, Loose Lips Sink Ships. Though, I must admit I have been becoming very lax lately and more and more people are finding out about me. Time to put a lid on it, clamp down and go back under deep cover.

When I first got into this, I was not very forthcoming even with my wife. Now she knows, the whole fam damily knows. Sometimes I wish they didn't, but I don't get in their face about it, so they respect my privacy and don't mention it. Sort of a don't ask -- don't tell.

Some people just don't get it. Any kind of model, action figure, toy train, diorama is "kid stuff." Don't think that other scale modellers or R/C'ers are immune either. The stigma my not be as pronounced with them as it is with soldier dollies, but it's still there. It is like I heard recently on a DVD about model railroading, the man had a one of the biggest layouts in the country worth tens of thousands and he said some people just can't see them as anything other than a toy. Or in our case, gasp, a doll.

Brian
gibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:05 AM   #23
Big Red One
Tanker

Im from a family of hardcore hunters, so being the Only one of four brothers not interested in "Hunting" I am quite a Black Sheep. While my brothers just think Im weird, They don't really hassle me to much about my hobby interest.

Now while all my brothers' "hunting Mentalities" haven't cause to much problem, We all are also Bricklayers and Construction workers and most of the guys in this line of work are also big macho "hunters" as Well.

While I don't go out of my way to advertise my 1/6 scale hobby interest, I surely will not hide it or take any huff from any of the "Hunter/Construction Workers" who think they're going try and embarrass or make fun of me for playing with dollies and not being a big macho deer hunter.
By now you have probably guessed I have actually had to confront this issue before on the job site.

Here's how it went down:

While the crew gathers for mid-morning break, I quitely sit and have my break food while I listen to my brother telling their "Hunting stories" to the rest of the group. Then as usual they all want to know why I don't hunt.
I usually just tell them that its just not my cup of tea and I have no interest in it and that is usually the end of it. But this particular day I told them I like building WWII tanks and GI Joe Figures and was interested in the history of the "Greatest Generation" and what they did for this country.
Now I was prepared for some good natured ribbing about "playing with Dollies" and things of that sort, But there was this one "Bricklayer/Deer hunter" who crossed the line. After telling them how these young guys fought and died in WWII so that people like him could buy their fancy bows and hunting gear to go hunting etc.... This guy started making very disrespectful comments about these soldiers being a bunch of wuss's. That was it! I got up off the bucket I was sitting on and told this jerk-off " Its Ignorant people Like you with no respect or honor for your country that gives America a bad name" "you think your a tough guy because you got a fancy 4-wheel drive truck and hunt deer!"
" people like you shoudn't even be allowed the live in this country,Your a Stupid @#$% and I'll knock you in the dirt......."

At this point my brother and some others had moved between us, I was hot! Because at this point it wasn't about the hobby thing anymore. To me it was about how anyone living in this country and calling themself an American could be so disrepectful to the Honor and History of America's fighting men and women. I really wanted to physically hurt this guy and lucky my oldest brother was the job foreman or I may have gotten fired.

So, While I don't go out of my way to advertise my doll hobby, I am proud of the collection I have. While a bit of good natured ribbing is tolerable, I WILL NOT allow the kind of ignorant disrespect that I heard from this idiot. Although the guy did try to apologize at the end of the day, I was still kinda steamed about the deal and kinda srugged him off.

I apologize to the SAG Staff and any members who may have been offended by some of the language in this post. But thats the way it went down.(Edit:No offence, had to clean up due to young one's sorry)

You gotta stand for something, or you will fall for anything!

FALL OUT!
BRO
Big Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 10:26 AM   #24
mp1stshirt
Company Commander

Big Red,
LMAO at your response. Not at you but rather those certain people. Having retired from the Army as a Military Police instructor your language deeply offended me cause we didn't talk like that in the Army "tongue in cheek" as I know it. I despise stupity in any form and the unfortunate reality is, it is everywhere! While this hobby is a part of me, it is not all of me, I like to think there are many facets of my personality and they all add up to Bob.
I like guns and shooting them but I don't kill anything but paper, does this fact make me less of a man? No, just one with a different perspective.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #25
Lightning6Kidnap
Rifleman

Keep my hobby a secret?? No way!! I use my collection to dio at veterans events throughout Northern Va. as well as an annual event at the National D-Day Memorial in July each year. I have been interviewed for local papers, as well as television stations. I have found all people I have encountered to be very supportive, as well as appreciative of my displays. I live in a very small town, and I have gained some limited notoriety as " The G.I. Joe Guy" Most people think of them as model soldiers, although I personally hate them being referred to as " G.I. Joes"
Before I retired, I had a photo of a small dio on my P.C. wallpaper and was asked frequently where I got the color WWII photo for my computer. When I pointed out that they where models, they where very impressed.
Don't hide your hobby , Rich, It will be much more accepted than you think.

Earl - L6K
Lightning6Kidnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:45 PM   #26
johnro6659
Brigade Commander

Send a message via AIM to johnro6659
I tell people I collect DOLLS! When the shock wears off I say well, G.I.Joes that makes it less shocking and most guys say I had Joes as a kid they were cool! Then all the questions come. Most people don't know a Joe from a Bbi or Dragon figure so G.I.Joe covers it well. Some girls I meet think it's cool and one really hot girl I met replied WOW! I collect Barbies heres my number. Well worth it! Too bad my current GF has no hobbies. :-( I have several Jewish friends who don't mind my collection because they know me and know I never beleived in the politics of the German party. I only have one friend I don't tell because he spent most of his childhood in a concerntration camp and both parents were killed by the bastards. Steve even had his back broken at the age of 8 by a German gaurd for stealling a potato! If people can't handel my hobby the can kiss my A** plain and simple. I could waste my money on booze, sports or even worse drugs at least I have something to show for the money I spend and if for some reason I decide to change hobbies I'll get a lot of it back.
So guys don't be shy shout it from the mountain top "I COLLECT DOLLS!!"LOL
The Fighting Sixth of New England
Bella detesta matribus
johnro6659 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:13 PM   #27
andy101506
Mortarman

i dont hide the fact that i play with "dolls" but i sure dont advertise it either. But im still in high school and i think teens would be more vicous towards me if they knew. I gotten a cuople of weird and a cuople of funny reactions when i bring people down to my basement were i keep my private army stationed ( and im not just talkin about the girls either ). I guess it is more of a shock when i bring poeple over becuase at school i really have a persona of being touch guy" ranger andy". If u knew me u would see why. im 6'4 about 200lb. and i always score 300s on our Rotc pt test, best shot on rifle team, commaner of this and that..... So u get the picture that other people wouldnt expect me to have a hobby thats considered only "candy asses" do.

But that hasnt stoped me and it never will
andy101506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 03:27 PM   #28
9th Waffen SS
Rifleman

I don't hide it, but I don't advertise it too much, either. If it comes up in conversation or if I have an opportunity to mention it, I will, but I do not go out of my way to let people know I collect 1/6 figures.

I really don't care a hoot what people think about my hobbies, I do them for me and the satisfaction they bring me, not for some form of social or personal acceptance.

If you think trying to explain why you play with man dollies is tough, try explaining to folks why you like to dress up in a WWII uniform, usually a Waffen-SS one, and play "army" in the woods with other like-minded individuals, shooting blanks at each other over the course of a weekend. One people understand the reenacting hobby, the 1/6 hobby seems kinda tame and normal in comparrison....
9th Waffen SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 05:29 PM   #29
kanowarrior
Machine Gunner

I don't usually bring it up in casual conversation nor do I mention it to people I meet. It's hard to not notice though.

I'm a CFO at work and I currently have 11 Joes on display and a picture of my scratchbuilt Vickers Tank on the wall of my office. The stuff is everywhere at home and I don't make any effort to hide it although the major bulk of it is either stored away or in other rooms simply because I prefer to keep my hobbies separate from my home living spaces when possible. The size of my collection made it spill out into the living room, dining room and into my personal bedroom when my daughter and grandson moved in with me and I had to make room for them.

I caught wayyyy more flack for my 1:1 militaria collection (all US stuff) when I was into re-enacting. Go figure.
kanowarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 07:57 PM   #30
flame_kettle
Rifleman

I don't hide it, I am proud of my 70 or so Man Dolls and 6 vehicles, my collection is about 70% German and 30% British, I also do a monthly display right in the living room on top of my stereo stand, altthough right now there is some Xmass stuff my wife put up,

Here is a link to a webpage with some pics of my soldiers, there is about 4 pages, a little link on the left can get you to all the pages,

http://www.flamekettle.blogspot.com/

Gary,

Gary,
flame_kettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 02:09 AM   #31
Big Red One
Tanker

mp1stshirt, Board Members,

I seem to have gotten a little over heated in my Post on this thread.
Working on construction sites the language is usually pretty vulgar and crued by most eveyone. I should NOT have crossed it over to the SAG board, which is based on wholesome entertainment, Honor an Dignity.
I got carried away when I started thinking about the "Incident" and how some people take for granted the everyday Freedoms we enjoy in this country that were paid for with the blood of so many young Men.

It was an error in my judgment to subject the Moderators and Board members to the language I used in the post, Even if that was the way it went down. Please except my humble apology.

Sincerley
BRO
Big Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 04:22 PM   #32
edsel
Rifleman

I love my 1/6 collection and don't regret for one minute buying any of them!
I must admit I tend not to discuss it unless someone ask's as I do get some funny looks at times. While some folks will think it's cool and show an interest others will just laugh or snigger and make comments about playing with dolls. It just shows their ignorance really.
I buy these dolls for myself and not for them.
Sometimes in private some people will admit how cool they are but they can't in front of their mates. I guess it shows how insecure they are with themselves.
My family are ok with my collection, the only comments I ever hear are 'why are there so many germans?' and 'what are you going to do with them all?' (I don't display them at the moment as I don't have the space so I just store them all after purchase).
I also get stick from some people because of my model railway collection. Some people just can't see past the 'toy trains' thing. When I tell them how much an engine or wagon costs you should see their faces!
But these things make me happy and that's what counts!
One of the reasons I like forums like this one is that we all have the same interest in 1/6. I don't actually know anyone else who collects 1/6 except on these forums so it's nice to be able to talk to others with the same interest! It's good to know that I'm not the only one who gets excited by a new military doll being released! Ron.
edsel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 10:43 PM   #33
glenning
Company Commander

Send a message via MSN to glenning
My hobby's not a secret. My friends and family know, and the accept it and find it interesting. But I get my share of "Barbie" jokes...

It's kind of fun, when I had a party last summer, I showed my friends my collection and they was very interested and wanted to know how I "did" them and so on, I even almost used force to get them out of my room.

I was like: "We're not here to look at my collection, but to have a party".
Old 01-02-2006, 12:14 AM   #34
flame_kettle
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenning";p=&quot View Post
wanted to know how I "did" them and so on, ".
I have the same experience, and people think I actually sew all the uniforms... of course I give Dragon and the rest credit,

Gary,
flame_kettle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 01:42 AM   #35
skip1six
Rifleman

Secret

HECK NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I let everyone I know know I play with man dolls. Why be shy, it keeps me off the streets.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:02 AM   #36
ALX2000
Rifleman

My wife would rather I have a less "odd" hobby. She prefers I keep it under wraps. Only a couple of Joes on display at home on an obscure shelf in our bedroom upstairs and the rest are all in the garage.

I do have a 40th Anny G.I. Joe on display in my office along with some of those Joe lunchbox containers. I've also shared photos with various people of WWII dio shoots I've taken. So, I don't keep it a secret but I am somewhat selective about who I share my enthusiasm for the hobby with.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:44 AM   #37
Rolling Thunder Tech
Company Commander

I started off recollecting by my foks finding some of my original '65 G.I. Joes. My first new figures were stashed away up on the shelf, behind the Vintage 12" Star Wars figures. Over time, the WWII figures seemed to move to the forefront of the shelf.

Since way back I always wanted a tank for the '65 joes. Then I found out about groups like this one and others like bay Area tankers. That was the first time I saw a 1/6th scale RC tank, and I had to save up for one. I bought a 1/6th JS-2 and started taking it to the BAT meetings. When we have get togethers at local parks, it is always fun to watch the guys that are interested and want to come closer and yet at the same time are unsure if they should.

After one of the saturday BAT meetings, I had to go to the office, and didn't want to leave the JS-2 in the car, so I took it inside. I definately felt weird about it. dIt did seem to cause a little less work getting done that saturday. But it was well received, and I decided to leave it in my office as a kind of huge centerpiece. It's alot of fun to see the double take from people new to the office. I had a bunch of Russian troops on the tank, and they looked a bit too much like terriorists, so I started collecting wine bottles and food stuff, so now they look like a drunken party on the top of a tank. Every so often the little guys are moved around, and I let people have their enjoyment. Nothing has ever gone missing, tho one guy apoligized for breaking the sniper rifle while trying to get a guy to hold it. I told him he now had to go out and buy his own little guys to play with, which he has. Most people are amazed by the detailing of the uniforms and equipment.

Sometimes I get those funny looks, ya know the kind that seems to say "what an idiot". Oh, well, there're just missing out.

At home, I didn't go out of my way to tell people, or out of my way not to tell people.

In regards to some of the comments about Jewish views of this hobby, a couple of our local members are Jewish and do collect figures of all sides of the war. One christian friend won't collect Japanese figures because of what his dad and uncle went through in the Pacific, but he is fine with collecting German figures. I also know a few Jews that have purchased our Tiger and Panther tanks.

I've never thought about this before: does collectors in Germany or Japan refrain from collecting Allied figures?

On a personal note, I did a double take on the posting for the two Chinese soldiers in Korean War gear. the figures were very well done, but my first reaction was a little bit of anger because this was the first time I had seen figures that represented the side that my dad fought in the ground war in Korea. I got over this pretty quickly, but I learned something about myself from looking at those two figures.

If two 1/6th scale figures can make oneself question their belief and bias, then this can and is a powerful hobby. (Inaddition to being just plain fun).

Leonard
Rolling Thunder Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 05:52 PM   #38
joe brown
Rifleman

Well, I don't broadcast it, neither do I hide it. The Wife does not approve and complains about time I spend on it, this is not actually above 6 hrs a week. Also about the room taken up . Good job she aint seen the loft ! she cant get in by the way We ( son ) have the key !
It began when my son complained about his new Action man, I admit it is a poor offering these days. It when t to the car boot sale. I looked in the loft , found 2 old Joes from 68, battered an all for him. At a re enactment iin 99 - I do this too. ( F&I & Rev War) I shoot & hunt with flintlocks too.

We saw a stand with Dragon figures etc, Son siad Dad can I have one, 1 became 12 ? We collect US figs mainly Para's. I have put together a set ( in secret ) for him 1 of each rank for 506th 101ST AB with medic , MP , engineers , sniper etc. of D DAY - 1944. Going for more detailed kit / equipment over time to enhance the set.
He now has a Stuart & crew 7th Armoured - thanks for the help on that one fellers ! and a hasbro Willies jeep. Looking for other vehicles and detailed equipment for them. I take pride in my work ,and of other modellers . I too am honoured and thankful of the efforts made to buy our freedom. I too have met negative sentiment towards those who fought in WWII. Also the PC anti Nazi brigade. I try explain that by understanding how a situation arose, we can try avoid it happening again.

I don't hate Germans or anyone for that matter, few of that generation are left alive now anyway of either side, who were involved in WWII.
My Gramps always said, you do not visit the sins of the father upon the son or daughter. Arn't these " groups " doing just that, is not P.C. rather in-tollerant of anything out of the " norm". I thought WII started like most conflicts, out of intollerance. Semms they learn nothing & know nothing.

I model this subject, out of WWII interest, out of pride in what they did
and in thanks for our liberty and freedom.
I hope to leave a colection behind, so some future generation will enquire and remember. It is my memorial to those people and skills, to whom I owe my liberty. Its made me friends, I get to e mail you guys, and its a talking point , its better than TV and keeps the brain active.
Keep modelling and hunting, pay no mind to the mindless sad brigade.
They are negative because they don't have your skills and aptitude for detailes and engineering.
" Were not lost Private, were in Normandy"
Old 01-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #39
prvtnoclass
Company Commander

Living in an apartment, I couldn't hide my hobby even if I wanted to.
prvtnoclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:03 AM   #40
Sgt Biff Steele
Rifleman

Hi folks

If you happen to look in my garage suspended from the rafters, I have a 1/6th Piper J3 (no engine - static) that was at one painted yellow. After getting into 1/6th figs, the next logical thing to do was paint it OD and put a "pilot" (kitbashed) behind the stick. Somehow folks just say that it is a very detailed model and wow, look, a pilot in it too!!!...So far so good!!....now if I could afford to build a 1/6th scale B 17....I could bring out the rest of my figs from hiding to crew it up!!!!

Cheers!

B
Sgt Biff Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:40 PM   #41
joe brown
Rifleman

:S Anything 1/6 th WWII is ok by me, would like to see more American / Allied gear. Where's some us half tracks , some shermans, more dodge variants like the wepons / troop carrier, trailers and well some trucks.

As for a B17 bring it on, I would love one !

I see it this way,we can follow the hobby and the manufacturers like sheep, or lead it and them. Lets put pressure where due and get out of them what we want. After all , isn't the customer always right ?
:S Lets press 21st C, Dragon and all to bring out wider ranges
and better packs of uniforms / equipment with wider / longer availability.

Keep smili'n and keep up the good work fellers and the Gal's too.

Nice to talk to you all again. Nite Nite ! Catch you on the morrow.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:11 PM   #42
Golden Boy
Machine Gunner

As far as I am concerned, my hobby is not a secret: I don't go around advertising my passion to the world, because frankly it's nobody's business, but if someone asks I'm not shy to tell them. I've learnt to adopt a sort of military correctness approach to the hobby: if they don't ask, I won't tell.
But as far as my family and friends are concerned, I've heard my fair share of 'army barbie' jokes, but you know what, as soon as a new figure or parts come in, my older brother is always the first one to come in admire and say how cool the collection is...he's even helped me find a couple of rare figures on ebay!
But I see it as a harmless hobby just like any other, and when you look at it, everybody has a dark little hobby that costs them bundles of money. Whenever my family or friends start on the 'doll' jokes, I just return fire: my brother collects vintage soccer jerseys which in my opinion all look the same and cost way too much; my father is in love with collecting watches, mind you they are nice, but how many Tissots and Omegas can you have that you never wear; my mother collects shoes, which still remains a mystery to me; and when my best friend ridicules me because of my hobby, I just point out that the fact that at least once a month he gets at least 500.00$ worth of parking and speeding tickets...now who is wasting their money now?
When it comes to making your hobby public, it is not a question of being ashamed or embarassed because you play with toys, its a question of showing something that is trully important to you, something that makes you happy, allows you to relax, and for many here, to express themselves.
I know that for me, my collection is a way unwind, to relive my childhood, and express my artistic inhibitions.
Besides one my girlfriends was very impressed by the collection and even said to me: a person that puts this much attention and detail into one thing, must trully be devoted in all apsects of their life. That really stuck with me.
Golden Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #43
Kash
Rifleman

PrvtNoClass said it best... "Living in an apartment, I couldn't hide my hobby even if I wanted to."
Old 01-13-2006, 09:00 PM   #44
1stlooey
Platoon Leader

My wife hates my hobby.

Yet she makes a point of taking people to see my "Joe room."

:S
1stlooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:50 PM   #45
T.H.A.W.
Tanker

Re: is your hobby a secret ?

I tell EVERYONE!...Im proud of my hobby.
It normaly goes something like this....

Whatcha up to?
Ahh...just workin on some figs.
Figs?
Yeah, I collect and build WWII 12" Action figures.
Action figures?...DUDE! Your 42 years old!
I know, but they are so damn cool...stop by and check them out.
WoaaaH! Man these are sweet! How do I get started?

...and the infection spreads....
Old 01-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #46
Germanbilly1
Brigade Commander

Every were I take my figures and vehicles I have people come up to me and ask were I got them and then I tell them I build them and they go no way. I have to carry a picture album with me because people will say you should see what Bill makes and there is no way to just tell them, they need to see the pictures. I have never had a negitive coment from anyone. My Wife wants me to start building them again so I'm not in the house so much. I get invited to shows all the time to show off my work.
GB
Old 01-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #47
M37M880
Company Commander

No secret here. My den/man cave/Joe room is always available for viewing. New people to our house always get a tour, usually initiated by the wifey. I never push my hobby. Never had a negative comment, that would not be polite anyway...

My boys haven't gotten the bug. They are too involved with my 1/1 Military Vehicles (now theirs......... after my stroke, I'm fine but with a slight gimp on my rt leg, I don't trust it to operate a standard shift). Just got off the phone with my youngest, he was asking for my input on colors for new canvas or vinyl cab top, seats, spare tire cover for my/his M-37. Now that his Fire House is 20 minutes away, he wants to use the M-37 as a backup to get to work. That's a lie, he just wants an excuse to drive "military".

When I kick the bucket, they will have plenty of opportunity to choose among my toys and dollies.

Charlie
Old 01-14-2014, 10:42 PM   #48
Pickelhaube
Tanker

Another old post pulled out dusted off and put on display.

I do not hide it.

All who are willing to listen, I tell.
Pickelhaube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:26 AM   #49
Thorina
Rifleman

It's pretty clear that I like toys as soon as you walk into any of the offices, my dinning room, or my bedroom.

But, admittedly, most of "peer group" is into vintage motorcycles, several into vintage cars, several into antique firearms, civil war memorabilia, and one close friend has an entire large gauge train set up all around his house. Through the walls and everything. It's pretty cool.

I deal with far more "snobbery" when I go to fabric or craft stores. Other women aren't really accepting to a gal that plays with GI Joes. Go figure.

I have found that almost all adults are quite accepting if you just hand them a figure. (with clothes on). Most adults are fascinated, at some level, with the articulation and detail of today's action figures.
Thorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:19 PM   #50
SLICK7
Company Commander

Friends: Simultaneously amused and disturbed. Unhappy when I have a figure presiding over a poker game.

Wife: Hates the collecting of anything. Nauseated by clutter and finds the misappropriation of family $ for the hobby reprehensible. So, draw your own conclusion about her feelings toward the hobby.

Kids: Not sure they know I'm alive.

Family: Makes gift buying easy. They know they can't go wrong with anything related to WWII.

Hobby is no secret around here.
SLICK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #51
Thorina
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dti62 View Post
Thorina,

Let me be the first to say "Welcome to SAG", you're the first lady since that I've been here to see a post from.

In every man there's a little boy, in every woman there's a little girl. We are "ALL" God's children.

Ken

The GI Joe headquarters was way cooler than the Barbie Dreamhouse.
My brother had the Jeep and trailer, real firing large gun and signal light with Morris code button.
The Barbie Corvette just doesn't compare.
Thorina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #52
Pangaea95
Site Admin

To this day everyone who see's the war room/collection thinks it's the coolest hobby, they get pretty mind blown by the stuff.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #53
Captrooper!
Sniper

This is my first post of photos, I'm hoping this will work.
My whole house had my hobby stuff both 1/6 and 1/1 in it. I don't keep it a secret, on the other hand I don't tell everybody about it. Anyone who comes to my house cannot help but see my collections. My tiger is in the middle of the living room. Some of my friends who may not be into it (mostly re-enactors) usually are impressed or at least just don't say anything. I've really had no problems with it.
My girlfriend lives with me and she does not mind at all. In fact she likes to show it off. I'm very lucky.

Steve

https://imageshack.com/my/images

Last edited by Captrooper!; 01-24-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Captrooper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:46 AM   #54
Pickelhaube
Tanker

Nice collection . It looks like you have a few pickelhaubes can we have a close up of them ?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #55
Captrooper!
Sniper

Here they are

Steve

Captrooper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #56
Pickelhaube
Tanker

Very nice !!! They seem to be in nice condition. Very clean !!!

You have Badens Saxons a nice Garde Shako and a felt ersatz Bavarian. ( I do not have one of those )

Maybe someday I will dust mine off and display them properly again.

I have not touched them until since I took them out of their traveling bins during our exodus from Katrina.

I would say my Baden NCO Leib Garde , Brunswick 1 year Volunteer and Waterloo bandou EM would be my top shelf spikes out of the 80 in my collection. Not counting my Officers helms.

Last edited by Pickelhaube; 01-25-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:42 PM   #57
Scale60
Rifleman

I was just thinking about this recently because I posted a couple of dio pics on Facebook and got a lot of ribbing from friends. But the one thing that made me chuckle was that an old girl friend whom I have known since elementary school made a comment about remembering walking by my house and seeing me in the backyard playing with my GI Joes on SEVERAL occasions. I believe we were in the 4th grade at the time which would have made that roughly 1970. I have never lost my love of playing with them although now I don't so much as play with them as collecting and creating dios for display purposes. My kids were into the 3 1/2" versions so they never took a keen interest in the 1/6 scale versions for some reason. So, my grandkids may end up with my collection eventually unless i donate them to a veteran's group nearby and let them display them in their facilities.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:17 PM   #58
Charlie Foxtrot
Machine Gunner

Just yesterday I invited a friend to come over and "play 'G.I. Joes'".
Old 03-21-2014, 11:42 AM   #59
pzrwest
Brigade Commander

Send a message via MSN to pzrwest Send a message via Yahoo to pzrwest

David I guess if you asked nicely one officer might give you the taste of a taser .... LOL

Tags
recap of post