Sixth Army Group  

Go Back   Sixth Army Group > Discussion Areas > Armor, Mech and Weapons Division

Armor, Mech and Weapons Division Showcase of 1:6 Armor, Vehicles and Weapons Projects

Old 04-10-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
weaselt24
Rifleman

M36 help.

Picked up another project yesterday. One of the old Desimone kits with a few upgrade parts.

The hull is sunken down in back. Anybody run into this?
Was thinking of a hair dryer inside to warm it and prop it up with a bulkhead or whatever? Comments?

Also is anyone making upgrades other that East Coast Armoury? Thanks.
Al
weaselt24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:46 PM   #2
armourguy
Company Commander

Re: M36 help.

The bowing nature of the top deck is common on the JD hulls. This is from the way they are molded. A hairdryer will not work. The only way to fix from my experience is from fabricating a bulkhead. In the past I have used fiberglass resin coated 1/4 thick plywood. I have also used PVC tubes that act as columns, however for an M36 this is not recommended because of the interior detailing if that was the way you were going to go.

In this pic here you can see the bulkheads and the columns on the inside,

In case you need to see other tricks to improve the JD hull, here is the link to my JD build that I did a number of years ago, http://armorama.com/modules.php?op=m...=180138&page=1

Last edited by armourguy; 04-10-2019 at 05:49 PM.
armourguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:43 PM   #3
weaselt24
Rifleman

Thank you sir!
Old 04-10-2019, 11:32 PM   #4
weaselt24
Rifleman

John. Do you have one of theese threads pertaining to the M36 instead of the M4. Nice thread.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:38 AM   #5
armourguy
Company Commander

I have yet to build a M36 although I have 2 in my stash, however I have done 4 M10s. The two are basically the same, with the exception that the M36 uses the GAA engine rear deck like the M4A3, M4A3 patter rear lower plate / goose neck exhausts and deflector grill. All of these would need to be changed for the M36 hull conversion.

On the interior the side magazine bulkheads are much thinner compared to the ones on the M10.

Because of the height of the output shaft on the GAA the floor boards are also slightly different.

The best resource is the US tank destroyer walk around book from squadron. It is what I used on my M10 builds and the segment on the M36 is just as excellent.

For the M10 build however, that can be found here, https://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forum...ead.php?t=6747