• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

28th Infantry Division M1919A6 Gunners

Panzercommander HOH

Battalion Commander
28th Infantry Division M1919A6 Gunners

To commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Battle of the Bulge and the role the 28th Infantry Division played in the battle; we'll take a look at the 28th Infantry Division Battle of the Bulge figure releases from the major manufacturers and suggest some improvements for the future.

A bit on the 28th Infantry Division during the Bulge:

Sent to the relatively quite sector of the Ardennes to rest and refit after the mauling it received in the Hürtgen Forest over the previous two months, the 28th Infantry Division would once again be up the sharp end of it on 16 December 1944 when the Germans launched Unternehmen Wacht am Rhein (the Battle of the Bulge). For three days, the three regiments of the division held the line as best as possible against the German 5th Panzer Army and the German 7th Army, significantly throwing off the German timetable in the Ardennes. By the 19 December 1944, the division effectively ceased to exist. The 110th Infantry Regiment was decimated, the 109th was pushed to Wiltz and then Bastogne, and the 112th pushed to the north and operating with the surviving regiment of the 106th Infantry Division at St. Vith.

Make no mistake, without the heroic stand of the 28th Infantry Division during the first three days of the Bulge, there would be no Bastogne, no 101st Airborne at Bastogne, and no "NUTS!"

Now, onto the figures:

49235904657_0d5cdf0897_c.jpg

I first recreated the two 28th Infantry Division commercial releases out of my spare parts.

Dragon Models Limited Figure No. 70310: "Deke D'Amato", U.S. Army Machine Gunner, 28th Infantry Division, Ardennes 1944 (Private First Class)

Soldier Story Figure No. SS111: Battle of the Bulge U.S. Army 28th Infantry Division Ardennes 1944

Deke D'Amato is nearly perfect straight out of the box and is arguably one of the best figures in Dragon's Road to Victory line. At the height of the 28th's engagement in the fighting in the Bulge, there was no snow on the ground; so the fact that Dragon gave the improvised snow camo as an option with this figure is quite nice. Displayed without the snow camo, the figure is still fine. The new pattern greatcoat is great, and the overshoes quite possibly are the best addition to this set. The only downfall is the flash hider on the M1919A6; while the flash hider was introduced as an upgrade in 1944, it is doubtful that any saw use in combat. A hacksaw will remove it quite easily from the end of the barrel, sand it a little and then paint it up and the gun will look great.

The Soldier Story figure, on the other hand, is a shambles. Soldier Story, apparently taking queues from early DiD releases, just threw some stuff in a (very nice) box and sold it for $180.00+. Clearly copying DML's A-6, the flash hider is present on what is an otherwise very nice metal gun (it can also be hacksaw'ed off, though). All the quality from Soldier Story's A-4 from Henry Kano is present in this piece. The bi-pod is, unfortunately, weak. One of the legs on my A-6 was broken when I opened the box and was replaced by Soldier Story's distributor in California. The other leg broke when the figure I gave it to took an unfortunate shelf dive. I was able to glue it back but I am afraid it won't hold. The British winter snow suit is of a nice material, but they gave the trousers an extra pocket (on the wearer's right leg) that will need to be stitch ripped off to be accurate. Also, of the 15,000 snow suits acquired from the British during the Bulge, it is highly unlikely that the 28th received any of them given where they were during the Bulge, the lack of snow while they were still in the thick of it, and how after three days of hard fighting, the division ceased to exist. Finally, aside from the oversized Hersey's tropical chocolate bar, the figure needed Soldier Story's excellent US Army dismounted leggings since they gave the figure service shoes. Functioning rubber overshoes would also have been really cool, too bad they did not copy Deke D'Amato more closely!

So, with my disappointment in the figure, I decided to kitbash a concept version of my own 28th Infantry Division A-6 gunner using all Soldier Story parts and based the figure off of what the 28th Infantry Division most likely had/would have worn on 16 December 1944. I used nearly all previously released Soldier Story pieces straight out of the box with no modification to illustrate how Soldier Story already had nearly all the pieces to make a better boxed figure.

Six parts exceptions:

1. The nude is from the 28th ID figure. I could have used nearly any other Soldier Story figure, though.

2. The M1919A6 is obviously from the new Soldier Story figure. I have hacksawed the flash hider off and painted the exposed raw metal from my hacking.

3. The 28th Infantry Division red keystone ("Bloody Bucket") patch is from the new Soldier Story release.

4. The five button US Army sweater under the greatcoat of my kitbashed figure is also from the new 28th ID figure.

5. The wool trousers are from the new 28th ID figure as well. Henry Kano's would also have been fine; I was too lazy to dig them out, though.

6. The base is from the new 28th ID figure (for display purposes)

My Concept Figure:

49235210388_41c2ee6e49_c.jpg

49235904402_1d22290365_c.jpg

49235904997_6d88b11bf3_c.jpg

49235210978_c82e0c3824_c.jpg

49235678681_45b3067680_c.jpg

Parts Breakdown:

M-1 Helmet: Soldier Story from Henry Kano, scratched off the 34th ID "Red Bull" insignia and repainted OD for a blank helmet.

Nude: Soldier Story 28th ID figure (this could be any Soldier Story US figure, though)

Greatcoat: Soldier Story 101st Airborne Bastogne figure

Scarf: Soldier Story 101st Airborne Bastogne figure

Gloves: Soldier Story 101st Airborne Bastogne figure

Wool Trousers: Soldier Story 28th Infantry Division A-6 Gunner

M-43 Double Buckle Boots: Soldier Story 101st Airborne Bastogne figure

Five Button V-Neck Sweater: (to pad out the greatcoat well) Soldier Story 28th ID A-6 Gunner

M1919A6 Machine Gun: Soldier Story 28th Infantry Division A-6 Gunner, modified with the flash hider hacksawed off and saw marks painted

.30 Cal. Cloth Ammo Belt: Soldier Story USMC Machine Gunner Tarawa 1943

M-1936 Pistol Belt: Soldier Story 101st Airborne Bastogne figure or Henry Kano

M-1923 1911 Magazine Pouch: Soldier Story 101st Airborne Bastogne figure or Henry Kano

M-1942 Carlisle Bandage Pouch: Soldier Story 101st Airborne Bastogne figure or Henry Kano

M-1912 1911 Pistol Holster: Soldier Story Henry Kano

M-1911 Pistol: Soldier Story Henry Kano

M-1928 Pack: Soldier Story 101st Airborne Bastogne figure

M-1905 Bayonet and M-3 Scabbard: Soldier Story 2nd Ranger Battalion figure

M-1910 T-Handle Shovel and Carrier: Soldier Story 101st Airborne Bastogne figure

M-1910 Canteen and Cover: Soldier Story 101st Airborne Bastogne figure or Henry Kano

M1A1 .30 Cal. Ammo Can - Soldier Story Henry Kano figure (Note, this style ammo can probably did not see combat in WWII. Unfortunately Soldier Story did not make the M-1 version of the .30 cal. ammo can like Dragon did.)

Base: Soldier Story 28th Infantry Division A-6 Gunner

NOTE:

The biggest issue with every 1:6th scale WWII US .30 cal. machine gunner figure released by EVERY manufacturer is the lack of a .30 cal. cleaning rod pouch. An absolute sin! HankCo1942 made a custom one (my friend Josh has one of Hank's, which I've seen), I attempted to make one once upon a time, and my friend Wes makes beautiful custom ones (of which I now own many - pictured below):

49235210483_9cc82994ef_c.jpg

Special Thanks To:

- Josh (JOSH51st) for letting me borrow his Soldier Story '28 pack and the Deke D'Amato greatcoat for this review

- Pedro (amaral) for the link to the M1919A6 page

References:

49235679056_993df7279a_c.jpg

Print:

Militaria Magazine No. 13: Winter Of '44: The US Army in the Ardennes, March 1995

The GI in Combat: Northwest Europe 1944-45, by Steven J. Zaloga and Ronald Volstad

Osprey Publishing Battle Orders No. 24: US Army Infantry Divisions 1944-45

GI Series No. 18: The Fall of Fortress Europe from the Battle of the Bulge to the Crossing of the Rhine by Christopher J. Anderson

Osprey Publishing Men-at-Arms No. 350: The US Army in WWII (3): Northwest Europe

Not Pictured (Print):

Osprey Elite No. 210: World War II US Army Combat Equipments

On The Web:

On the M1919A6 Machine Gun:

https://www.m1919tech.com/23934.html

M1 vs. M1A1 US .30 Cal. Ammo Cans:

https://olive-drab.com/od_firearms_ammo_cans_30cal_m1.php

WWII British Snow Suits:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/119855-wwii-british-snow-smock/

Last edited:
Great job on the overall representation of the 28th INF Div during the BotB. A great companion to this figure would be a rifleman from the 106th INF Div since the 112th INF Regimen reinforced the remnants of the 106th during the opening days of the battle.

Thanks for the compliments guys! Glad you like the figure!

thegreatshaggy - a 106th Infantry Division figure would be an interesting figure to do. I have some CVI patches as well. Maybe one day when we get another good version of the M-43 uniform and boots.

Randy - let me know if you need Wes' contact info. He takes commission work. PM me here or message me on Facebook.

Thanks guys!

Fred

Awesome presentation! A lot of great info and background on a BoB figure. The info on the MG I found to be very interesting. Thank you for the links to all the who, whats and hows on your 28th Div mg'er.

That is a really excellent kit bash. So much better than both originals. Needs a little muddied up, but otherwise perfect! Thanks for the history about the 28th as well. The Airborne divisions get all creds, but the lowly "straight leg" Infantry divisions played an important part as well.

Great use of two excellent figures backed with research there Fred, I find the research just as interesting as the assembly when it comes to getting every thing just so. The 'Deke' figure is one of my DML U.S. Army favourites mainly because of the uniform and weapon. Cheers for sharing, Steve

Thanks, Steve!

Research in the hobby is paramount; without it, it will probably end up being all wrong.

Deke is definitely one of my favorite RTV figures as well!

Fred

Back