• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

**6th Army Group Contest Update, Please Read**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixty Driver

Administrator
Contest Theme -- Defensive Position Diorama --

The 6th Army Group is pleased to announce our Grand Opening contest. First place winners will receive super cool war booty, details of which will be announced in the very near future. There will be 2 chances to take first place:

1. 1st Place Award will be determined by a panel of non-participating judges.

2. Peoples Choice Award will be based on votes received from forum members.

This diorama contest will be based on a theme of the defensive position. Although we use the term diorama, think "vingnette". The rules are as follows:

1. You may use Axies or Allies
2. You may utilize vehicles, weapons etc.
3. Diroama's may be constructed outside or indoors and be either permanent or temporary.
4. Diroama's will be unique to this contest, previously posted/published works will not be accepted for entry.
5. Digital enhancements (photo shop) will be limited to either creating a dated photo effect (color balance/sepia/film grain etc.) or for the creation of minor atmospheric effects such as smoke and natural weather elements (falling rain/snow, fog etc.)

A small accompanying story (1 paragraph) shall be submitted with each entry outlining the time, place and conditions of your defensive position. If your foxhole buddies are supposed to be cold tired and hungry, make reference to that in your write up. Your write up is your chance to let everyone know exactly what your diorama is supposed to represent.

Diorama's will be judged by the following criteria with level of effort considered in each:

1. Historical accuracy of equipment and uniforms used to portray the time frame and area of battle.

2. Realistic posing of figures

3. Realistic construction of defensive positions

4. Historical accuracy of the fighting position itself

5. Photography

6. Combined effect of all judged elements

No more than 6 photographs will be submitted. Collage type photographs will not be accepted.

Judging will utilize a point system whereby each judge will assign points on a scale of 1-10 for each of the 8 criteria. The cummulitive score will be averaged to determine the total point count for each entry. In short, your diorama/vignette should be a reallistic representitive portraying a fighting position. Your fighting position can be as simple or elaborate as you choose. Just keep in mind that the overall goal will be to produce a historically accurate and reallistic fighting position.

Peoples Choice Award as previously mentioned will be based on popular vote of forum members.

All entrants will be awarded a "campaign ribbon" which will be affixed to their avatar.

A special contest area for posting your entries will open July 3rd. Entries will be accepted until Midnight EST, August 5. Voting will commence 12:00 EST August 6 and will close (people choice) 6:00 PM EST Augst 6. Winners will be announced by 9:00 PM EST August 7.

**Special Note**

Entries will be annonymously posted by SAG admin. An announcement will be made prior to July 3 as to how to submit your entry. DO NOT POST PROGRESS PICTURES OF YOUR ENTRY IN THE FORUMS OR THEY WILL BE DISQUALIFIED. We reallize that you may want to share, and we are all anxious to see the entries however in the interest of fair play we are going to post the entries in a special area which will be open for veiwing on the official beginning of the contest, July 3.

Documentation Photographs.

To reinforce the belief of an unusual subject or as a comparison to your adherence to authenticity you may submit two (2) 1/1 scale photo's as documentation for your diorama. Collage type photographs will NOT be accepted.

As always if you have questions about your entry you may contacy myself or any of the site admin for clarification on the rules.

We encourage everyone to enter, and sincerely look forward to each and every entry.

Contest

There is no limit to the number of figures in your diorama. Just remember that more is not necessarily gooder.

That's what I was thinking Jon, clusters, stars or perhaps numerals. Be better than clogging up the avatars with fruit salad :D

Are photos included for historical reference counted as part of the six? And if so, would callage photos of that type be allowed (historical reference)? If historical photos are not counted as part of the six - are they permited?

2 Questions:

How is historical accuracy being determined?

Will entrants have the opportunity to justify their work should questions of accuracy arise?

judges will be admin and others here , were going to blind judge this , in other words one admin will post all the pics anonomously , and the rest will judge not knowing who the enrty belongs too .

historical accuraccy means no MP44's in 1942 france , camo ,weapons must be period correct , things of that nature .

i dont have an awnser about the pics yet , give us a couple days to think about whats fair .

as far as winning places

1st or grand prize
2nd place
3rd place
and peoples choice .

Pardon me, I have some questions:

1.Can previous figures posted in the past be used?

2.Will the size matter? For example, a foxhole cosisting of a para? What if it is constructed well, detailed, dug correctly, will the size of the base matter?

3. "3. Diroama's may be constructed outside or indoors and be either permanent or temporary." Is a base okay for this? A big base deep enough for a fox hole? Must there be a some what realistic background setting, in other words, will the background be judge, or in this case, will just the base be judged?

4.Must the defensive base be active? I was planning on making a base, with a foxhole, to depic a para that was outnumbered and who fought off as many Germans as he could befor his death. I then thought of having the dead hero laying in his foxhole, surround by dead Germans, and two paras who just discovered the scene... Will this be considered a defensive position, or should I show the actual para fighting off the Germans? Sorry for so many ??? and TIA.

1. Yes
2. No
3. If the backround Is part of the pic, then yes, If using a base I suggest hanging a single color cloth backround behind It, or taking It out doors to take the pic's.
4. A foxhole Is a defensive position, and It sound's like you have a good story, just use good taste......... :)

:D Can any part of the dio have been seen before. For example, a part of a building or a foxhole but the scene has been re-done and things added and taken away.

I'd hate to add yet another comment, but I forgot something! Sorry, just wished there was an edit button...
Okay, so out of all our six photos, do they all have to show the same time? Or can each shot show your trooper doing something else? Like throwing a grenade, reloading, ect.TIA

The defensive position can be as simple or elaborate as you choose. Just keep in mind the criteria for which your diorama will be judged. Typically a diorama/vignette is planned in such a way so as to tell a story of sorts. To get a sense of what a diorama is more or less supposed to accomplish, I recommed visiting some of the many modeling sites out there to get a feel for how that "snapshot" can tell an entire story. We do not intend to publish an entire book on what your diorama should include, follow the rules and you'll be good to go.

A collage is a collection of pictures combined into one picture. Often times in contest with limits on photo submissions people get around the 4 pic limit by combining 3 or 4 smaller pics (usually detail shots) into one single picture.

Guess I better get a few of my tedious questions in!

#1 Photo Enhancment? I usually use photo shop to paint any exposed wrist joints in my dio's, Will this be permitted?

#2 Will it be counted against you if you do not submitt any reference photos, and instead describe your setting in detail with your submitted paragraph of text.

#3 Can text be added to each individual photo, or is that consider "Enhancment?

#4 When can I pick up my grand price! :lol:

Thanks

Hi Big Red One. In answer to your questions:

1. Looks cool to hide the wrist joints, but we had to draw the line somewhere so I'm afraid the answer is that photoshopping wrist/neck joints will not be permitted. Fear not, wrist and neck joints will not be counted against your entry. If you'd like to enhance your dio pics after the contest has ended that would be super cool.

2. Photo references are not required. We aren't encouraging people to submit reference pics, but we're not discouraging it either. The intent was a form of documentation almost particular to non-typical setups (such as troops using something unusual or non-military).

3. Please no text on the photo itself. If your intent is to provide a story line with your pictures you can submit the text with each photo and we will make sure your entry is displayed properly with the accompanying text.

4. Your grand prize will be available for pickup today anytime between 13:15 and 13:30 EST only. After which time, the grand prize will be awarded to the admin answering these questions. :lol: :lol:

As an aside regarding photoshop. We truely wanted the contest to be setup in such a way as to allow every single member the opportunity to enter and actually win. Since photoshop is not a universal skill for our hobby we felt that limiting it's use would help keep the playing field level.

Sounds Great!!

I have been scrambling for over a week trying to scrounge up a competitive Dio, ...and by golly I think I have it!
I dug out things I forgot I even made or had!

Tonight is Final equpment, touch-up night.
Saturday morning I will be loading up all my special sixth scale props, vehicles and Troops ( or " my toys" as my wife says ) along with my wife, two dogs, and my 2-year old baby boy, "Jace Raymond" and heading to our camping ground. Lucky enough to own some timber land,
so nobody can bother us.

I have my set-up site surveyed out, so I may just sit by the fire and drink beer for awhile, and think about my shoot sunday morning. I wonder if this is how Steven Spielburg does it :lol:

Im glad you stopped the preview photos,
I hope others don't drop out just because they saw a shot up building, Yea, it was cool, But don't give up
and not even try..... have some confidence...... Get plum Mad dog mean :mad: and start making your dio better!!! cause a "Cool Looking Building" alone, ain't gonna stand a chance after my troops get through with it :lol:

Win, Lose or Draw, Im gonna have a blast playing with my toys!
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!

Yes thats exactly the spirit..HE who has the most FUN, not the most stuff wins in the end..

Now bring on the posting process..I've got a DIO for you all the see...

Im back from the woods with a boat load of photos!

One more question

Can a person submit 6 photos representing 6 different "Defensive Positions"?

Example: 2 photos of North Africa defenses 2 Photos of "Battle of the Bulge" and 2 photos of D-Day

Would it work against you doing this?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back