• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

German cap "Hat Cord" D.I.Y.

T.H.A.W.

Tanker
Hi guys...
I have a few German Caps, that I wanted to add Hat Cords to...to "spice" them up a bit.

With Christmas to come soon, I had the idea to use ornament string from a Christmas tree decoration.

Items needed:
1/16 drill bit
German Cap
Ornament string
Mini Brads

408379201.jpg

Drill 2 holes just behind the visor ends, and centered in the hat band.
Insert the 2 Mini Brads (but don't bend over them yet).
408379208.jpg

Loop one end of the ornament string around 1st brad, and bend the tabs to hold it tight.
Tie a small knot just infront of that brad.
Next, bring the string (both strands) around the front of the hat, to the second brad. Tie another knot just infront of tis brad.
Last, tie one last knot around the brad, and bend the tabs on the brad over.
408379224.jpg

I cant find a pic of the exact pack of Mini Brads that I use, and I threw away my original pack.
However, Micheals crafts sell them 200ct for $2.50, MultiPack Black, Silver, Gold, Pewter... I will show a pic of the Pastel Mini brads, but you will want the "metallic" multi color pack.
408379191.jpg

I use these Mini Brads for EVERYTHING 1:6 !
German Shoulder boards (to get rid of the bulk caused by the DML nut & bolts)
Rivits
Nails
Buttons....
The list goes on & on.

You can also use Gold Ornament String for American Civil War Hat Cords....but the "acorn" on the end is a bit tuff to get right.

I hope this tip will help a few of you out...
Good luck & let me know if you try it and like it.
THAW

Last edited:
Strap buttons were either field grey, aluminum, or gold color. Have never seen German buttons that were gunmetal

Back