• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

INSIGNIA VS RIGGER POUCH Q.

AUSTEYR

Marksman
Gday,
I have the "Historie and Collections" reference books but I can't seem to find any photos that answer this question.

With insignia on a Corbin Black Uniform where is there room to put the 101st eagle and airborne insignia? There is a riggers pouch on the left sleeve that prevents it.

I'm not sure if I'm doing something innacurate here but it's late, the fiance is asleep and I can't turn the lights on to check the books :: hahahaha.

Any help would be appreciated.

Austeyr.

I usually put the insignia on the top-flap of the rigger pouch...either that or i cut the rigger pouch right off

I'll take a look at my saving private ryan pics when I get home. I know there were several 101st guys in the film that had the rigger poiches on their sleeves - i know that they did put the rank chevrons on the flap for the pocket, unsure about the eagle.

You can also see on the very known pic of the 2 101st 506th PIR HQ paratroopers with the indian face painting that the insignia is on the top-flap.

And if you want some very good reference books on the US AB in D-Day, try to buy the 2 books of M De Trez.
They are far better than the H&C one.

Yes, it's "him" .

i took this pic in 2004 in the "greatest generation exibith" of M. De Trez in Ste Mere Eglise.

I would be more than wary of using BoB as a reference, although superb television their research was sometimes a little off - IIRC the British paras rescued by Easy were almost all wearing General rank cap badges!

Thanks for the info fellas. Back to work now in moving the patches. The rigger pouch is extremely high on the sleeve so a little more research into where the insignia goes is needed. Maybe non reg underneath the pouch I don't know.
Back to the drawing board hahahaha. Thanks for the help.

Austeyr

According to regulations the patch was to be sewn on 1/2" from the seam of the shoulder. However, in historical photographs with the riggers pouch the airborne tab is sewn right at the seam above that pocket and the eagle on the flap just under the seam. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Paul

I was able to find how they wore it in the case of a riggers pouch there on the sleeve. Only question is now where was there extra space for the rank chevrons? were they sewn straight onto the pouch?

In most of my historical photos the rank was often left off the uniform for the jump. I have seen the rank on the pouch, but historically they were left off on the outer jacket. This was an attempt to make nco's harder to identify in the field by the Germans...

Back