• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Japanese questions

krakow

Marksman
Don't know much about the Japanese Army and have a few questions about gear and it's placement.

What was the likelihood that A Japanese medic carried a sidearm? If so, was this rank specific or not?

Were the e-tool and mess tin only carried when the canvas pack was carried or were they somehow attached the the leather equipment belt when the pack wasn't used? If so, how and where were they attached?

I may have several more questions to come as they work to the front of my brain.

Steve

May be when B.C. Ries sees this he'd be able to answer you definitively. I don't have my IJA reference with me; it's bury deep some where. But from the top of my head, the mess tin was attached to the center of the canvas pack via a canvas or leather holder, comparable to the M-1917 US counter part. Then there was a sleep roll which attached and around the canvas pack. The E-tool had its own carrier. Didn't DiD release an IJA infantryman ?? The DiD rig should be accurate.

Yeah, DiD did release "Nakamura Ryuichi" superior private Infantryman from the Imperial Japanese Army. That's the uni and gear i'm working with to form a small squad of about 10 guys including some grunts, an officer, an NCO and a medic or two to pick up the pieces. I was looking more to create battle ready troops minus the packs that I feel were more than likely only carried when marching and not in actual combat. I could be wrong on that.

I did find a site for a IJA reenactment group that listed medics as one of the few personnel allowed to carry a sidearm. That helped to answer one of my questions. Past that I was really just wondering if e-tools were ever shoved into the front or rear of the equipment belt like we've seen Germans do so many times and if the mess tin was ever carried without being tied to the pack.

Thanks for the help maa.

Steve

I had the same idea way before DiD release their IJA infantry. Some thoughts on that .. I had a tailor lined up to do custom work for me when she quit. But I would have done the uniform in slightly different color than DiDs. DiD released an officer in a shade of green -- that would have been the shade for the enlisted men to use.

I'm wondering what did it cost ya to snipe loose DiD IJA pieces enough for 10 men crew ? I managed to get just the field gear for one was all I cared to do ..

Japanese troops tended to attach mess kits and E-tools to their packs. Any of the Japanese pistols could be carried or not.

Back