• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Kitbash: Kfz. 81

thetoysurgeon

Battalion Commander
My entry into Mike's contest (category 2) is a vehicle I have been wanting to make for a long time. Krupp Protze is from Callanta and the Flak 38 from Dragon. Known as a Kraftfahrzeuge 81 ( Kfz. 81).
I have been holding out for snow but to no avail. So muds gotta work. This a portrayal of a Luftwaffe anti-aircraft vehicle on the eastern front.
Special thanks goes out to Ed Robinson (1stlooey) for making the tire chains. A very huge thank you to you! There are custom items on this vehicle from 1stlooey, Panzerwerks, John's Stuff, Sixth Scale Icons and myself. Parts list is to extensive to list.

protze4.JPG

Entire vehicle has been weathered as you can see.
I used the Earl Boswell method. The tow chains have been naturally rusted. Windshield on the Callanta model is fixed. I removed the windshield and made it like the original, thus it can fold down by loosening the custom nuts on each side.

protze1.JPG

Real mirror installed into the side view mirror, rifle racks installed on each side of the cab. This photo shows the tire chains really well.

protze2.JPG

protze3.JPG

The next 2 photos show the cab interior and the detail to the dash. Wired fuse box to the lower right of the dash. All gauges have glass faces. Turn signal switches added to the steering column. Plus various knobs and switches. Seat is covered with padded fake leather.

protze8.JPG

Door curtains were added to each side of the cab as well. Wired wiper motors are from the 21st kubel. Crash handles also installed.

protze6.JPG

protze5.JPG

A view from the upper rear show the 2cm magazine cans in the bed and the supports for the flak 38.

The next 2 photos show above right and above left views of the Protze.

protze20.JPG

protze21.JPG

And lastly a photo with a crew in their crew positions. This vehicle carried 7 men and associate support equipment and ammo for the Flak 38. By the way, Graham Court (Newline) makes an awesome weathered reversible snow parka. He had some deals on ebay that included the felt winter boots. By far the best ones in the hobby.

protze9.JPG

This vehicle was a blast to bash and I believe this is my first real 1/6 scale vehicle presentation. Thanks for looking!

Your vehicle looks great. The extra details you have added really make it stand out. Mardon makes great vehicles and your added details have taken it to the next level.

That is a Great build. I had never seen one of these and you sure have done a great job on the weathering and the attention to every little detail.
GB

That is GREAT, love the paint job and the dash.
I have been wanting to get one of them, did you do any major mods to the body or is it basically stock.

Its basically stock. You could go wild on the chassis underneath. Not much you have to do except trick it out. I used Jaques Littlefields (May he rest in peace) walkarounds on-line for most of the detail.. I still could do more. I do want to make the canvas for sure. cool thing is the 2cm and the mount is removeable so I can do several versions of the truck.

Thanks for all the good words fellas!

Way to go Dennis. This is one very cool and very original piece. The contrasting winter white against a sudden thaw and big mud looks really authentic for the Eastern Front.

:!: :!:

Tim

That is an awesome piece.I think the mud worked out very well.Great contrast with the whitewash.Definitely a one of a kind,like a lot of the entries.As far as making it to St. Augustine,if I win the lottery......Am working on a Type 94 tankette now that my T-60 is at a standstill for parts.

Excellent! Nice job on a unique vehicle. I really like the chipped white-wash look and muddy tires with the chains.

Very nice work!

Kind regards
Tim

Love this vehicle!
Beautiful work Dennis!
I'm just getting started on a Protze myself, but on a basic troop carrier version. These images will pr0obably proove costly down the line as this flak version is a wonderful looking piece and simple conversion.
Great weathering, which for me in avehicle is paramount. No snow but you matched the weathering tot he color of the mud nicely.
Perfect looking white wash paint ont he vehicle with the appropiate chips and wear spots.
You have to post some more images on the crew in action. Forget about the snow, even if it snows, better to have a mud and snow platform for this beauty.
Outstanding job all around. Congratulations on a beautiful miniature!
Eduardo

Two of my pavorites, the Flak 38 and the Krupp, and done so well! I'll bet as quickly as the seasons changed in Russia a great many vehicles were caught with their Winter camo still very much intact.
Neat crew as well...super, Dennis-

Another mind blowing vehicle, way cool stuff Dennis, the detail and finish are amazing, way cool subject to boot, gotta love these unique and different vehicles, especially when they are this nicely done :!: :!: :!:

Now that the contest is over I can comment. Awesome job on this Krupp Dennis, it's spectacular. The whitewash is masterful, IMHO the hardest finish or all to pull off, the best that I can ever remember seeing. It looks just like the real deal, all the way around. :!:

Thanks to everyone who commented on my entry. I like it too and its much better in person. I'll be taking it to Joelanta in May.

Back