• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

M5 from Scratch

tankfan0720

Tanker
Hi All,
I'm new to this forum, but not new to tanks. I thought I would post some pix of my M5 Stuart build. Starting with wheels and tracks because they are the hardest and most time consuming. The model will be full RC eventually. All parts are made entirely from scratch using a 1/35 AFV club model. Sprocket hubs were machined from solid alum. The sprocket chain rings were CNC machined from steel. The idler and bogey wheels are made from cast iron castors with a little resin detail parts thrown in. Enjoy. Till next time. -Bob

Stusprocketfinish102-28-2011.jpg

Stusprocketfinish202-28-2011.jpg

TrackAssy-1.jpg

Stuidlercasterwrib1.jpg

BogeyAssembly12-29-2010.jpg

stutrackparts4.jpg

stutrackparts2.jpg

Stusprocketring5.jpg

WMStuTrack5.jpg

Stusprocketmill402-21-2011.jpg

IdlerwWMspoke-painted.jpg

Bogeywithtire.jpg

Stusprocketmill02-21-2011.jpg

StuSprocket12-16-2011.jpg

WMStuTrack1.jpg

First off, welcome to the board. You sure have my attention with your first post, I'm eager to see more.

Tim

WOW, i love this and can't wait to following this thread and know and see more. Can you tell us a little more about how you made these, sorry just love tracks and want to know more. :D

Amazing! Too bad you could produce that stuff in bulk there are a lot of guys that would love to replace their running gear with metal.

I'd sell Dennis' kids too for those tracks! ;)

Outstanding work, can't wait to see more - welcome to the Sixth Army Group!

Welcome to the board! What an amazing first post as well. This is outstanding work. I'll be following this project closely.

Great looking pieces...
Wish I had access to those sort of tools...
Welcome to the "board" Sir...

Thanks for the welcome and nice comments on my project. I have a couple more in progress that I will post as I get time. I also have two Armortek tanks that are great kits.

A few have asked about the tracks. I will give a brief summary how they are made. First CAD models of all components are created using INVENTOR. Then each part is machined via CNC in brass or Aluminum to make a master part. Some photos below of the track links and end connectors being machined. Next the masters are used to make a rubber mold for a spin cast machine. Finally several links are spin cast as "proof of concept" in lead free pewter. These are the grey colored track parts in the photos. The actual model parts for RC will be cast from a stronger alloy. Unfortunately they are too heavy for the 21st Cent stuart. I also do not know if they would fit on the sprocket of the 21 cent stuart.

Thanks again everyone for the comments. I enjoy this forum a lot and love everyone's projects. Keep em moving. Till next time. Bob

Stulink3.jpg

Stulink2.jpg

Stuendconn1.jpg

Welcome on board, amazing work ! My question would be what kind of alloy are you going to use for the tracks ? I saw some armortek ones they are made of aluminum. The Zamac 8 is heavyer and i don't know how if it's strong enough. Are you considering the shrinkage during the process ? Good luck with your project..
Cheers
Tigertiki

Hi Bob

Welcome to the forum. Nice to see your beautiful work finally out in public. Don't forget about the other little tank you are working on for me. he he

Great stuff and as others have already said, love those tracks!

Kind regards
Tim

Back