• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Need info on facial hair in British army

krakow

Marksman
Does anyone know the general regs on facial hair in the British army in WWII?

Was this something only officers where allowed or was it common among the NCO's and general ranks?

Steve

Does anyone know the general regs on facial hair in the British army in WWII?

Was this something only officers where allowed or was it common among the NCO's and general ranks?

Steve

Moustaches were permitted with permission of the commanding officer, also if a man grew a moustache he couldn't remove it without permission from the Co as well. Beards were not permitted unless a medical condition warranted it. The navy was a another thing unto it's self. Crews at sea were permitted to grow full beards for warmth but shore based seamen weren't allowed beards. There were several reasons why beards weren't allowed one for cleanlyness(lice) and the second was not to impead the seal between the face and the gasmask. But I know there are pics of men wearing beards mainly with the SAS members in Afrika

Moustaches were permitted with permission of the commanding officer, also if a man grew a moustache he couldn't remove it without permission from the Co as well. Beards were not permitted unless a medical condition warranted it. The navy was a another thing unto it's self. Crews at sea were permitted to grow full beards for warmth but shore based seamen weren't allowed beards. There were several reasons why beards weren't allowed one for cleanlyness(lice) and the second was not to impead the seal between the face and the gasmask. But I know there are pics of men wearing beards mainly with the SAS members in Afrika

Quoting regulations is all fine and dandy for the parade square, which is what you asked.
But it seems most of the figures displayed, bashed, presented are of troops in the field. Who after 72 hours laying in a water filled ditch, in the rain with the 12th SS taking pot shots at you probably neglected the shaving thing, unless you were Guards they always shaved.
1-3 days stubble wouldn't be uncommon. For anyone at the pointy end. Even the odd officer.

Quoting regulations is all fine and dandy for the parade square, which is what you asked.
But it seems most of the figures displayed, bashed, presented are of troops in the field. Who after 72 hours laying in a water filled ditch, in the rain with the 12th SS taking pot shots at you probably neglected the shaving thing, unless you were Guards they always shaved.
1-3 days stubble wouldn't be uncommon. For anyone at the pointy end. Even the odd officer.

I agree with JC completely in the field is a big difference to barracks or parade square. When I was in the army(74-79) many times it was several days before we got back to tent city as we called it where we could shower and shave. So several days growth was not un-common, but it's a big difference between that and full beards. But as JC says men get pretty scruffy looking after several days or even weeks of being "in the field"

I agree with JC completely in the field is a big difference to barracks or parade square. When I was in the army(74-79) many times it was several days before we got back to tent city as we called it where we could shower and shave. So several days growth was not un-common, but it's a big difference between that and full beards. But as JC says men get pretty scruffy looking after several days or even weeks of being "in the field"

Facial hair.

Fair enough. I was really meaning combat troops and guys with a little more than a few days growth.

I have a tub full of Brits that need to be bashed and when going through my headsculpt stash I found several heads with moustaches.

The heads may or may not have originally been from a Brit boxed release but they could easily pass for some boys from across the pond.

Thanks!

Steve

Facial hair.

Fair enough. I was really meaning combat troops and guys with a little more than a few days growth.

I have a tub full of Brits that need to be bashed and when going through my headsculpt stash I found several heads with moustaches.

The heads may or may not have originally been from a Brit boxed release but they could easily pass for some boys from across the pond.

Thanks!

Steve

One thing to keep in mind is that if they couldn't see any rank insignia, German snipers would often target Allied troops with facial hair. Thanks to Errol Flynn, Clark Gable and others, moustaches were fashionable; and middle and upper class officers and NCOs would often wear them. After a few of these snipers were captured and interrogated, the razors came out, and stubble grew evenly.

On a related note, these same actors often went bare chested on-screen, leading to a drop in t-shirt sales until Marlon Brando and James Dean burst on to the scene...

One thing to keep in mind is that if they couldn't see any rank insignia, German snipers would often target Allied troops with facial hair. Thanks to Errol Flynn, Clark Gable and others, moustaches were fashionable; and middle and upper class officers and NCOs would often wear them. After a few of these snipers were captured and interrogated, the razors came out, and stubble grew evenly.

On a related note, these same actors often went bare chested on-screen, leading to a drop in t-shirt sales until Marlon Brando and James Dean burst on to the scene...

Back