• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Panzer II Luch -from scratch

tankfan0720

Tanker
Hi all,
I've been enjoying everyone's progress on their projects. Some great stuff on this forum. I thought I would put some pix of one of my projects. Its a Panzer II Luch. I'm making it all from scratch using a Tasca model and Panzertracts books for reference. Some of the photos are from the CAD models showing progress as it is built up in the computer. Then each part is machined, mostly in Aluminum either using CNC or manually. The model is approx 28" long and will be full RC. The tracks will be cast brass. The photos in this thread are 3 years of progress, but are not in any particular order of manufacture.
I started making the wheels and tracks first as this is the most time consuming and difficult parts to make.

I hope you enjoy. -Bob

Hullsideplatemachine304-12-2012.jpg

Hullsideplatemachine204-12-2012.jpg

Hullsideplatemachine104-xx-2012.jpg

Finished hull plates;
Hullsideplates04-14-2012.jpg

HullSideoblique03-15-2010.jpg

HullAssy03-19-2010.jpg

HullAssy03-14-2010.jpg

HullAssy01-04-2010.jpg

HullAssy01-03-2010.jpg

GeisswerktracksandSprocketring04-16-12.jpg

GeisswerktracksandSprocketring204-16-12.jpg

DrivecaseV2roughmachine510-21-2011.jpg

Drivecase111-06-2011.jpg

Innerroadwhl211-13-2011.jpg

20mmgunassy.jpg

Tracks4-DasG04-14-2012.jpg

Tracks3-DasG04-14-2012.jpg

Tracks2-DasG04-14-2012.jpg

Tracklink1-DasGieswerk.jpg

Roadwheelwithhubcap.jpg

Luchouterroadwhl310-07-2011.jpg

Luchouterroadwhl110-07-2011.jpg

Left hull plate next to my 1/6 Panther G for size:
LHullside311-13-2011.jpg

Luchouterroadwhlfin310-13-2011.jpg

Innerroadwhl411-13-2011.jpg

TurretAssy03-19-2010.jpg

InnerRoadwheel-AssyMachined.jpg

Here is a link to the track maker: Das Geisswerk - Schneider Modelbau. The website is in German and is being updated. Great parts and service.
http://www.giesswerk.de/english/e_index.htm

Last edited:
WOW! Really nice work. Makes my stuff look like poo. One question, why cast brass instead of some type of aluminum alloy?

Thanks for the nice compliments guys. Glad you enjoy the project. I wish it didn't take so long to make something like this.

Xacto: I'm buying the tracks from Germany, that is the material he uses. It is way stronger and more durable than Alum or Alum-zinc alloy. It will wear like steel. Not all that easy to cast or inexpensive though. They will outlast the rest of the tank!

Hammer: That one made me laugh! CNC beats the heck out of standing there manually machining too!

There are some guys on the Armortek forum that do amazing things with a dremel tool. Don't sell it short.

All the best, Bob

Thanks again all for the great feedback.

MP1: I was happy with how the wheels came out. There are just a lot of them. 20 roads wheels on the Luch to be exact. It is like a mini Panther.

I smooth the straight dish wheels by taking a skim cut on the manual lathe to clean off most of it. On the wavy pattern outer road I will apply a super thin coat of filler like body putty or milliput and sand that smooth. The lines are fine enough that primer and paint may fill a lot of them. Will have to experiment.

Till next time, keep 'em rolling- Bob

Last edited:
Hi Bob, Kent here.

WOW! that is one impressing job you have done there.
Many moons since I saw the first 3D drawings and now the Luchs is on its way.
Look so professionally made and I know from having your Panther idlers how good your work is.
This as well as your M5 build I will follow with interest.

Kind regards
Kent

Hi Bob
You already know what I think of your excellent work. No chance o building two Luchs huh? : )

Keep the photos coming.
Kindest regards
Tim

Hello ALL,
Its been many moons since I posted any progress on this project. I finished the floor pan today and was finally able to assemble the hull. It weighs about 10 lbs already! Hope you enjoy the photos. Thanks for looking - happy building. :p

Wheels1.jpg

Mainswingarm5.jpg

Mainswingarm1.jpg

Luchhull1007-22-2012.jpg

Luchhull607-22-2012.jpg

Luchhull507-22-2012-1.jpg

Luchhull707-22-2012.jpg

Luchhull107-22-2012.jpg

Luchhull407-22-2012.jpg

Luchhull807-22-2012.jpg

Back