• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

SAG board going down for a bit.

Sixth Vanguard

Board Flunky, aka Site Admin
Hi all that still come around.

The TLDR (Too Long Didn't Read) version.

This site is going away in its current form and a new site will take it's place.
www.sixtharmygroup.com is not going away, it will be some temporary page while I put together the next board, so please check back. I can't make a promise on timeline, sorry.

We are still on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/sixtharmygroup
I know that doesn't help those that don't want a fb account, and honestly I am there with you.

Anyone can ping me at my email address if they need to get in touch with me, or want help contacting another member, and I will put it on the temporary page while I build the new site.

Now the long version :amer_bigeyes:

After long consideration I have decided not to pay for another year of hosting with our current hosting company. The cost is too great for me to absorb (Yearly cost is about $800) and we ran out of community funds long before last year's payment. I don't want to ask for contributions as it seems there are so few that frequent the board and I hate asking for money.

Here are my thoughts on plans.
I have spent the past few days backing up the sites which include the really old site:
https://sixtharmygroup.com/portal/
And this site
https://sixtharmygroup.com/forums/

These two sites run on really old system software that most hosting providers don't allow to run anymore and for good reason as the old software has many security vulnerabilities for the server, not for us users, therefore they take a risk maintaining the old systems for us, and they charge us accordingly :amer_ohwell:

The problem over the years, each and every year, is that migrating to some new system means losing the old content. As many of you know, quite a few of our board members are no longer with us, so the thought of taking down the old content feels like losing them all over again.
As the years go by, many of the old posts lose their links to photos, and let's admit it, a post without photos, or worst the little broken image icons, just seems sad.
Perhaps there is no real reason to keep the old stuff alive anymore other than for emotional support. I am not so sure, but real world $$$ says it is time :(

So, I have the old stuff backed up, and should be able to get to it if need be.

At the very least I should be able to setup a quick and dirt board so us old-timers will have some semblance of a home without having to face the dreaded facebook 8)

Sunday the 31st of July is the last day for the current site. I will try to get the posts made up until that day before it goes away, but if push comes to shove, the posts made after Thursday may not get backed up, just so ya know :roll:

Hey Reese

Thanks for all the work you do for the website. If there are others that want to kick in funds for the next payment, and save you from having to update and change the systems, I'd be willing to add $ 200 to the pot.

Leonard
RTT

It is indeed sad to see this go.

That said, I understand the need for you to do what you are doing.

If you do decide to try and fund it (I see RTT offer some cash), I'd be willing to chip in but unfortuantly not very much at this point.

Situations have changed from when I used to buy lots of stuff. Thankfully, I've got enough backed up projects to keep me busy for a long time.

In any case, thank you and the mods so much for doing all that you've done over these years.

Hope to cross paths somewhere, sometime!

I, from Spain, could also contribute something... Not much, the truth is, I've had a terrible year.

If I have not misunderstood I will open another similar page???.

I'm dying of grief although it is true that language is an important barrier here I have seen great works and I have had very interesting conversations 😢😔. I apologize for all my snubs... It's always a pleasure to see you

That's a very generous offer Leonard, and certainly a possible option.
And Squidley and pp as well.
Let's see what happens :!:

Don't want to lose SAG! This is the only WW2 board I go for my 1/6 fun. I can match RTT's offer to help keep going

Doesn't seem like 17 years since DX '05 in Atlanta and the birth of this group. Will be waiting for further info on the new site. Will donate as I have in the past, if needed.

Thanks guys :!:

I think I have found a way to archive the existing SAG sites and host them as static html pages, so they won't be dependent on any outdated and obsolete system software. The sites will no longer be functional as message boards but at least they will survive as historical documents.
That's the good news.
The bad news it is going to take a lot of work to do it, and a lot more time than the 24 hours left on the current board.

So here is the plan, thanks to many of you willing to chip-in we can keep the board going as-is while I archive the board. We still need a new board, so the first thing I will do is start setting up the next board version, SAG 3.0 I guess 8)

This old board will continue on until the new board is operational.

Once that is functional, I will add the members that are currently active, and as many as I can who have popped in in the past couple years, so no one has to worry about losing their board name. Let's call us 'The Old Guard' if that isn't too pretentious.
I will have to generate new passwords for the old guard members and send them out in email.

The new board probably won't be anything fancy to start with. I hope it will at least have a media gallery to keep images within the board so we don't have to worry about imaging hosting, etc.

I will be re-upping the server for one more year, have to pay tomorrow. So for all that would like help out please email me at:

sixthvanguard @ gmail.com

and I will give you my paypal info or mailing address if you want to send a check, or we can work out something else if either of those don't work.

I will look into some sort of designator as we had before for all those that contribute to the board.

I will be working on it this week. A good time of year to be at the keyboard enjoying the A/C versus out in the desert heat ;)

Thanks guys :!:

Reese

That all sounds great to me and sorry you are stuck with all the work to make the new system.

Do glad we have an option, was looking at the demise of the site as an end of an era.

email sent for your paypal name.
Leonard

I’d like to chip in as well. Sounds like you have a good short term plan. I’m hopeful the board stays around in a non-FB form for some time. I’m actually surprised hobbyist & modelers are still allowed there. Reenactment & Legitimate historical discussion groups get Zucked regularly.

Back