• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Say it isn't so...

SLICK7

Company Commander
Oh boy, Seeing diD release a modern figure makes me real nervous. I hope they aren't switching gears away from WWII. I felt my stomach turn when I followed up on Jason's recent post.

Oh boy, Seeing diD release a modern figure makes me real nervous. I hope they aren't switching gears away from WWII. I felt my stomach turn when I followed up on Jason's recent post.

Sorry but it is......

Really was only a matter of time. None of the companies capitalised on the "success" of Fury, even though there was a sneak preview of one of the figures".
I remember watching Battle of the Bulge in the 70's and I couldn't wait to go out and get my first 1/16 Tiger (The one with the lead remote control). Now all you have to do is go on WOT and you can actually be in the tank itself. I personally go on WOT all the time and I love it. It's taken over from my rc vehicles (it's much cheaper for one). The price they charge for new figures is just extortionate and prohibitive. Just my opinion.

Thanks Antony

Last edited:
Not sure that DID is out of WWII but really allot of the makers that used to feed our thirst are not making fig's anymore. Look at the output of the boards and see that WWII is slow at this time with allot of the people that used to frequently post not doing so. Product is down and so may be interest. I know that the retailers are scooping up collections so that they have product to sell. This isn't a bleak time for WWII collectors but rather it is a chance to get some pieces they missed out on or really expand their collections. As long as the interest is strong in each of us the hobby will continue. Enjoy your collections.

Jeff (Geppetto):!:

There are enough figures and vehicles out there to keep busy. We lived through the golden age of the 1/6 hobby and many missed it! You still see figures parted in multiples of six by some vendors, so get some parts and bash what you want. If you are waiting for a perfect figure of a particular WWII subject to come out, it might be a while...

It ain't necessarily so. DiD has released a very nice set of figures with their Sgt. major Wolfram, Major what's his face and the German lady with the typewriter. To go with that there was the Stalingrad Capt. and quite recently the German telephone repair guy. This whole group seem to work together under one theme.
Communications figures ,Russian front.
Sure DiD has also spread out on some other interesting themes, gangsters for example. Maybe they are simply trying different themes to avoid saturating the market with too much of one thing. DiD also tried out some WW1 figures. I think they've done some pretty good work. Like Eduardo pointed out we have passed though a golden age of WW2 1/6th. But that stuff is still out there and one just has to accept a period of time while the finite amount of ww2 gear changes hands for a while. In the mean time new players will keep coming along and testing the waters. I'm not really worried. But then I've been at this a long time and I've come to realize I probably have more than I can use.

I'm in agreement with Eduardo and Pangloss: I have lots to keep me busy. Also, I bet that the release of "The Mighty Eighth" will perk things up a bit.

Not so sure that a release of a movie is going to spur the interest of the masses any more. Fury didn't have the effect that we all hoped for and it was a hyped movie.

Well, if they should stop with WWII at least we had a good run. I think we will get a figure now and then for the coming years. The hobby is different things to everyone and I'm sure it will go on in some way. It is tough to see the slow down though.

I agree with the last few posts:

1) I've got more stuff than I'll ever likely get to play with or build or customize etc.
2) The last 10+ years have been lots of fun
3) We'll still get the occasional release

Personally, I don't mind the slacking of commercial interest. What worries me a bit more is the shrinkage evident at communities like this one. That said, I suspect that most of us that are still here are not putting our dollies down any time soon.

Keep on keepin' on....

Actually, Fury didn't perform well at the boxoffice (by today's standards). According to BoxOfficeMojo.com, since it's release in October of 2014, it has only grossed $85,817,906 worldwide. Of course we, and other WWII enthusiasts went to see it, but the general public, and, more importantly, the core demographic of young people, didn't.

I don't really think those figures have a great deal of impact on the makers of 1:6th vehicles and figures anyway, but it does say something about the way the world is going ...

Actually, Fury didn't perform well at the boxoffice (by today's standards). According to BoxOfficeMojo.com, since it's release in October of 2014, it has only grossed $85,817,906 worldwide. Of course we, and other WWII enthusiasts went to see it, but the general public, and, more importantly, the core demographic of young people, didn't.

I don't really think those figures have a great deal of impact on the makers of 1:6th vehicles and figures anyway, but it does say something about the way the world is going ...

Well the gross you quoted is correct for domestic.....World wide it grossed $208 Million and cost $68 Million to produce.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=fury2014.htm

Given some of the big budget flops you see....I think Sony is happy with this one.

Last edited:
My mistake. I thought it said total gross. I guess Sony would be delighted with a total return like that! And the film is still in distribution and they haven't totaled in the DVD sales yet either, which are sometimes a significant addition to the all-over Gross.

I was shocked it was that high. I heard about the movie on here and Sixth Division, but it wasn't widely promoted IMO. Compare that to American Sniper where you saw the commercials for weeks before the release.

I was shocked it was that high. I heard about the movie on here and Sixth Division, but it wasn't widely promoted IMO. Compare that to American Sniper where you saw the commercials for weeks before the release.

It was well advertised here in the UK on the TV and on billboards, however, I'm yet to see an advert for American Sniper. (I have seen this online and thought it was great and was totally shocked by the ending. He was a real hero)

Thanks Antony

... it (Fury) wasn't widely promoted IMO. Compare that to American Sniper where you saw the commercials for weeks before the release.

I think they thought the star power would sell Fury, so they saved a few promo bucks and let it gain word of mouth. I guess it did. American Sniper, however was not pre-sold by it's star(s), so they had to gin up the hype to get it sold. It didn't hurt that loons like Michael Moore crapped on it and got a lot of news (at least on Fox) and there were tons of interviews with the real guy and his family, etc, which added to the juice.

I think DID is just testing the waters to see if they can compete with the other MFG,s when it comes to Modern figures.
DID wants to see if they can stay in the game if WWII falls off.
I helped the DVD sales for Fury today by the way!:lol:

Shawn

DID has been producing figs from other eras and themes for some time now. They just previewed another Napoleonic fig and it is neat that they did so. As long as they bring out a new WWII figure every now and then it should be ok. What should be more concerning is the lack of new people into the WWII collecting community. We few are becoming fewer each year and with out an infusion of some new blood it will become even harder for DID or any other maker to consider WWII at all. All you have to do is look at the boards and see a lack of new posts or even new posters. Hopefully now that the economy is fixed (cough cough cough) we should see more folks have expendable cash to spend.

DID has been producing figs from other eras and themes for some time now. They just previewed another Napoleonic fig and it is neat that they did so. As long as they bring out a new WWII figure every now and then it should be ok. What should be more concerning is the lack of new people into the WWII collecting community. We few are becoming fewer each year and with out an infusion of some new blood it will become even harder for DID or any other maker to consider WWII at all. All you have to do is look at the boards and see a lack of new posts or even new posters. Hopefully now that the economy is fixed (cough cough cough) we should see more folks have expendable cash to spend.

DID do produce great figures but when it comes to the price they sell for it's prohibitive for many. The hobby is becoming more expensive the fewer the figures. Bargains are less frequent, figures that sold for $20 are now over $60 plus. The interest in WW2 figures is in natural decline and will continue to fall as the time from the actual event extends. This is normal.

Thanks Antony

Too bad they didn't come close to getting the figure correct according to Tony Barton. I don't think $120 is bad for a quality figure. But take the time to make it accurate, Lets face it, most of the people doing this are also into the history and we want a close to accurate representations as we can get.

I've been back in the hobby 2 1/2 years and I know I'm reworking figures I did early on. If it was my job to make a figure you can bet it would be really close within production and scale limitations.

One of the great things about some of the new DiD/3R WW2 German figures is they pack enough into the box that if you buy just a couple of small parts you can put together two figures....that gets the cost per figure into the upper $60 lower $70 per figure.

Back