• Pardon the dust while the boys rebuild the site.

The board will be in a state of disarray as I get things sorted out, for a little while at least.

The new incarnation is using Xenforo as the system software. It is much like what we are used to, with a few differences. I will see about making a FAQ to help point out the differences for the members.

One IMPORTANT difference for all of us old timers is that the 'mail' system is replaced with what are called 'conversations'/

There is no 'Inbox' or 'Out box' or 'Sent' folders anymore.

Think of Conversations as private 'threads' or topics that don't exist in a forum, that you start with another member. NOTE: Conversations can include more than one member if you or someone else in the conversaion, likes.
    Takes a little getting used to but I am sure you all can get a hang of it.

Only a slightly modified default default Xenforo style is available for now. Once the new SAG style is ready it will be available.

All existing users should be able to login with their usernames and passwords once the site goes up.

If anyone has difficulties logging in please contact me at sixthvanguard@gmail.com.

Thank you for your support and patience. I know it has been a loooong road.

Show in Myrtle Beach was great

cutiger83

Marksman
I drove down for the show in Myrtle Beach yesterday and had a great time. The dioramas were simply amazing. I loved them all but especially liked the Battle of the Bulge and D-Day. The size of all of them was amazing. Graham from Newline gave a great class on weathering along with tips for dressing your figures. His uniforms in person are simply amazing. I enjoyed chatting with several of the dealers. I found some great purchases and spent way too much money. Thanks Bobby for putting on the show. ....Katherine

I'll concur with Katherine. It was a great show. Good location.
The new "Hard Rock Park" was right out the door if you needed another distraction. Bobby had reeneactors with lots of 1:1 gear, seminars, great vendors with some good deals. Even had a prize wheel with someone winning an Armor Hobbies 250. Its always fun to catch up with the crowd, Cory, Wes, Bobby, Graham, Joe and Josh and even met someone from the MDFC board. A truly well put together show.
Bobby did a very professional job all the way around with lots of local advertising to compliment the web based announcements.
The only disappointing aspect was the low turn-out. Whats it take to get
you guys out of your hobby rooms and out to the shows???

Scott

I was there sunday and the show was superb the material and the dealers were great and willing to work with you picked up several pieces including the flak38 for a great price best of all the dollar bins with some great unis and gear. its a shame I dint get to see ssgt bear again or meet panzeriv since both are from the neighborhood

Panzeriv,
I was disappointed in the turn out as well. I told Bobby that most people driving to the beach would be going from Saturday to Saturday so hopefully the turnout on Sunday would be better.

Dthstrk,
Were there many people there on Sunday?

It is nice to see people face to face and get some great pointers. As Graham said in his class, you get so much more in person than looking at a computer screen. Cory gave me some great tips on the Battle of the Bulge diorama. All of the vehicles in the diorama were his and they really were detailed expertly.

With gas over $4 I'd guess anything requiring travel this year is going to be hard hit, I know my family has already skipped several events this year, and our vacation is going to be scaled way back this year too

It was indeed a great show, in terms of what there was to see and buy, and the way it was put together - Bobby's generosity of spirit is enourmous, and the passion he has for this hobby and Museum was evident in many ways, very infectious and pleasing to be around.

I think it's important to say that if a show is not well attended, it is not neccersarily a reflection on the show itself - as in this case. We all know the prohibiting factors for show attendance, location, travel and accomadation cost's, conflict of engagements, family responsibilities and "there are so many shows this year, I can't attend all, which do I choose?"

Anyone who has passion enough for this hobby, and the courage to make such a HUGE effort to provide us with these opportunities has my greatest respect. It is becoming increasingly evident that their 'reward' comes back in terms of rave reviews from those who do attend, and from their own sense of acheivment, which, I'm sure, can be a struggle to find when attendance results are not what would have been hoped for.

I sincerely hope that all those who put on 'independent' shows (for want of a better expression) all around this country and others have the fortitude to continue, and that these herculean efforts will become better rewarded as far as attendance goes.

Enough of my rambling, I'll talk about the show itself!

There was a great array of re-enactors and original uniforms and equipment. Revolutionary War, Civil War, Josh and Chris displayed an amazing variety of WWII uniforms and weapons - I think it pretty rare to be able to see a B.A.R that is not behind glass these days!

The diorama's were superb. Bobby is a real master 1/6th builder, inventive and soooo realistic. Add to that the talents of Wesbo, Joe - and all the others who made contributions - and the results were phenomenal! I hope you will get to see some pictures from others who attended, although there is nothing like seeing this stuff 'in the flesh'!

Cory of Toychest had a very impressive selection of armor and other vehicles - a great display by itself! Several finished pieces and one of Randy's US Half Tracks, looking very, very nice!

Mike Stanard make the trip from Nevada and brought the Metal Box Opel. It was a big effort on his part, and another who was prepared to go the extra mile to support the show and museum project. It is indeed a very nice piece!

I thoroughly enjoyed giving a little seminar, I hope it was useful to those who attended - plenty of chuckles anyway, and it did seem to be enlightening on occasion - I am probably guilty of assuming that more collectors know their way around stuff like this, but it did seem that there was some benifit to the very attentive 'audience'!

All in all it was a pleasure to be there, the spirit of the vendor's and conventioneers was very positive, and keeps feul in my collecting tank.

Special thanks to Alice, Svetlana, Babushka, Oksana, 'Made in Korea', the very talented girl with the amazing dancing buttocks, and what-ever-her name-was, who so delightfully squeezed my last $40 from me before we had to curtail our evening's entertainment. I wish you all well, and my thanks for making an old man (albeit temporarily) happy.

With fond memories of a really GREAT show,

Graham

I almost forgot ( must have been a little distracted - can't think why)

A BIG thank you to those who attended, I hope you liked the conventioneer package, I thought they were pretty dang cool! I know of one who made the trip from the NE, (can't remember if it was Philly or Pittsburg or the neighborhood thereof) always good to meet friends old or new.

To the other vendors that I didn't mention previously, Ryan from The Toy Federation, the Guy's from Toyriffic, and Marty whom I beleive made the trip from Chicago!

The 'wheel Guy' who's name unfortunately escapes me (help me out here someone - he deserves the credit). Hilarious. Not only was the spinning prize wheel a great idea, but the 'MC' played the role to a 'T'. And yes, the 'Top' prize, a beautifully built and painted Armor Hobbies 250 was won, what's the secret Ryan!!!???

Last, but by no means least, Joey/'Dieppe' who brought along some of his incredible figures. It is very inspiring to see someone who is a relative 'newcomer' to the hobby that has mastered so many aspects of 'figure building'. He is clearly very disciplined in his approach to creating a figure, choices, research - and talent. Every aspect was masterful, pose, 'dressing' (clothing and equipment), painting and weathering. I think even the best pictures could not completely capture the stunning effects of his figures. I for one am very grateful he came along and displayed his work.

I really enjoy shows, and will attend as many as I can. I suffer the same constraints as most, if I could get to all the shows tacked up on this board, I would be a happy man, I get so much from attending shows, photo shoots and hanging out with other hobbyists, it goes a long way to inspire me, and remind me to be appreciative of what we can all enjoy in this hobby today.

Next time Guy's, you won't regret it!

Graham

Sounds like a really great show. I wish I could have attended.

I know there will pictures soon, but you guys are killing me with suspense. Can't wait to see them.

Congrats to Bobby for putting together a great show, and forgive me if I fail to mention those that helped. These are exactly the types of shows that I think we need to support as hobbyists. Many thanks to all those that persevere and continue to organize these shows.

Sounds like it was a great show. Wish I could have been there.Next year you guys should have it in Chicagoland. :!: Heck you could have it at the Geneisis Center in Gary. :mrgreen:

Sound's like there is a need for a 'Travelling' show, incororating the talents not only of the major manufacturers, but of the extremely talented individuals who contribute soooo much to our hobby - imagine all the great stuff from Mike's show in Vegas, Bobby's or any of the show's I only get to see as stickies or in photos, smells like Nirvana to me! To be able to see in person work by 'The Masters', too many to mention.

I am thinking that there are ways to show support for projects like Bobby's Museum, even if attending a show is out of the question. There are probably others, but remember Bobby's idea is to have a museum honoring the American Soldier, with displays of authentic uniforms etc, and 1/6th scale diorama's, things that I believe we all share a passion or appreciation for in some way. Perhaps contributions by way of donations - not neccersarily monetary, but things like bits from our loose parts boxes for diorama's, copies of photo's and history of our family members or friends who have served, what better way to honor sacrifice and proud service, and to keep that rich history alive, for those that follow us.

I am just thinking out loud here, I'm not speaking for Bobby or anyone else, but maybe it is an idea that those who are trying to keep our hobby - and history - alive might appreciate!

Graham

Glad to see that some, of the members did attend Bobby's 1/6 show in M.B. Being my first show ever, I was pretty impressed, and in awe to some of the dio's that was on display. The dimensions were huge and overwhelming! But the artistic weathering and work effort put in for one man is truley an amazing feat. The vendors such as Mr. Graham mentioned, was another new experience for me also. Even though, some was not in attendance, I couldn't even fathom for what BIGGER shows or conventions will have in store for my eyes to see in the future!!!

Amazing people as well!!! Not as experienced as for most of our hobbists here on the boards, I was amazed of the questions I encountered while showcasing some of my work. And like the true artists out there, BOOT25, TIGER, & Darkner...I think I came a long way of studying, and reading numerous amounts of tutorials of what this board has to offer! I have learned so much from the past couple of years, and for a well known person in our hobby to even comment that my work is some of the best...well, I owe that to the true talents here, on SAG!

I just want to thank those, who have gotten me this far ... and thank you Mr. Graham for the oppurtunity and pleasure of finally meeting the man behind our hobby's most illustrious line of 1/6 clothing!

I just wanted to re-iterate what Graham had stated earlier. This was a very unique show and its main purpose was a Fundraiser for the Diorma Museum which this hobby badly needs. Thanks Bobby

In the course of my Five years in the business I can honestly say I have not been to a show that was more organzied and prepared. I mean the entrance looked like a movie set with crates and netting as opposed to a standard table where you pay your admission. The Dioramas were scattered throughout the hall which added to the look and feel of the show. And then you had all of the re-enactors walking around which was a nice touch and all the real weapons and gear lying around to actually see and touch. Oh, and I almost forgot that Bobby had Lunch catered both days for the vendors. Really Nice!! When does a show do this for its vendors??

So Thank You Bobby, Joe, Josh, Wes, and those I may have missed. Graham it was a pleasure. Mike at 6th Scale Icons, Cory at Toychest, and the Toyrrific crew, I enjoyed our conversations.

Below are some of my pictures from the show. I have not taken Bobby's Photo course yet, so there may be some much needed improvement to my pictures and the angles they were shot it, but enjoy!!!

Now with the image links done correctly.

P6140276.jpg

P6140287.jpg

P6140290.jpg

P6140291.jpg

P6140278.jpg

P6140279.jpg

P6150297.jpg

P6140283.jpg

P6140286.jpg

P6140285.jpg

P6140284.jpg

P6140288.jpg

P6140289.jpg

P6140292.jpg

P6140281.jpg

P6140282.jpg

P6140280.jpg

P6140295.jpg

P6140296.jpg

Those dio's are a work of art. :shock: There has been so much detail put into it. I can't make up my mind about which ones the best!! :!:

Great pics thanks for posting. Looks like a great time was had by all that went. Wish the gas prices were better so I could make some of these shows. :( Thanks to all that take the time to post pics of shows that I can't make.

Thanks for the pics :!: That's what I am talking about. Beautiful work, almost too much. Any one of those dios would make a great centerpiece for a show!

Back